No WWDC reactions?
Ian McCall
2018-06-05 07:53:45 UTC
Haven’t seen it but reading up on the RSS headlines there’s some good and
bad news for me:

Good:
- Home on the Mac. Yes please.
- Voice Memos - would have been a god send to me three years ago when I was a
very heavy user of them. Not so much now though.
- Dark Mode - intriguing, not sure I’ll go for it or not but nice enough
for it to be around
- Siri Shortcuts - Sounds a bit like Scenes in Home right now, only more
general. Good.
- Password API - good for 1Password users like myself, though likely be
supported only in latest version and that’s gone all subscription-happy, so
I’m less keen.
- Stand-out headline must have iOS 12 feature - no more silly long press/red
button to close apps on the X. That was a really poor piece of UI, no idea
why they went for it. Felt very mouse-driven-computer-window like, not
gesture-based phone like.

Bad (for me):
- 2012 Macs upwards, excepting some Pro models. That’s my mid-2011 out
then.

Inevitable:
- Stocks app on the Mac? Like the browsers can’t show it already? What is
this weird obsession with to-the-second stock prices anyway? I’m hoping
it’s just their internal practice app for UIKit - i.e. porting the iOS one
to the Mac.

Haven’t read enough about iOS yet since I’m more interested in macOS, but
Siri with third party maps seems to be a thing as well. If so, that’s good
news too.

Cheers,
Ian

Checkout Voix Sans Voix and Proto, the albums:<http://studioicm.com>, stream
at <http://ianmccall.bandcamp.com>
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-06-05 11:50:48 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
Haven’t seen it but reading up on the RSS headlines there’s some good and
- Home on the Mac. Yes please.
All the "apps now on the Mac" (and indeed on the iPad, which has been a
peculiar omission for years) are good, although we're liable to get
swamped with somewhat shitty iOS ports that we can ignore. As well as
good ports. Having the matching gui frameworks on the Mac was inevitable
but has been a long time coming.
Post by Ian McCall
- Voice Memos - would have been a god send to me three years ago when I was a
very heavy user of them. Not so much now though.
- Dark Mode - intriguing, not sure I’ll go for it or not but nice enough
for it to be around
It's rough right now, since non-Apple apps don't do it. Feels a bit Emo
Billy's First Desktop Theme to be honest. There's no "just menubar and
dock like in HS" setting, which I was using, so I've turned it off.
Post by Ian McCall
- Siri Shortcuts - Sounds a bit like Scenes in Home right now, only more
general. Good.
These are great, no-one's going to use them. Like any automation tool.
Post by Ian McCall
- Password API - good for 1Password users like myself, though likely be
supported only in latest version and that’s gone all subscription-happy, so
I’m less keen.
I'm currently sticking to 1Password 6 until this all rattles out.
Post by Ian McCall
- Stand-out headline must have iOS 12 feature - no more silly long press/red
button to close apps on the X. That was a really poor piece of UI, no idea
why they went for it. Felt very mouse-driven-computer-window like, not
gesture-based phone like.
They've also changed the iPads to use the iPhoneX swipe gestures, and
the top bar is split like X too (hint of bezel-less iPads then). I'm in
favour, and they do need to merge the three current sets of gestures.

Except bringing up the switcher is a bit annoying now, you have to start
at the bottom, go up then off the right edge. Fine with a right-thumb
swipe on a phone, but quite a move on a 13" iPad which is where I've got
the beta.
Post by Ian McCall
- 2012 Macs upwards, excepting some Pro models. That’s my mid-2011 out
then.
More inevitable. Although I'm expecting a bunch of Macs around the
transition will be 'tweakable' with a firmware poke, like the 2009 (?)
Mac Pro's were for High Sierra.
Post by Ian McCall
- Stocks app on the Mac? Like the browsers can’t show it already? What is
this weird obsession with to-the-second stock prices anyway? I’m hoping
it’s just their internal practice app for UIKit - i.e. porting the iOS one
to the Mac.
Cultural, innit. Americans.
Post by Ian McCall
Haven’t read enough about iOS yet since I’m more interested in macOS, but
Siri with third party maps seems to be a thing as well. If so, that’s good
news too.
iOS got the neat Siri automation too, plus some *very* fancy 32 way
FaceTime video (not sure if that's on Mac too yet, probably is) and
in-place AfterEffects style video modification - using Nintendo Mii
style "Memoji".

I happened to be eating dinner through the Watch segment so I missed
that.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor
to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
- Anatole France
Tony Hall
2018-06-05 16:11:03 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Ian McCall
- Password API - good for 1Password users like myself, though likely be
supported only in latest version and that's gone all subscription-happy, so
I'm less keen.
I'm currently sticking to 1Password 6 until this all rattles out.
1Password 7 still happily works with a non subscription setup (ie.
syncing via Dropbox, iCloud & WLAN) - no changes from v6.

I get the impression that the standalone option is not overtly obvious
as Agilebits strongly believe that their subscription service is the
best solution for *most* people, especially non techie users.

I somewhat agree with their arguements, however for *me* a standalone
setup is currently preferred.

But there's been no hints of intentions to drop independant syncing (or
the option of no online sync), as they now appear to understand that
some people have very good reasons for not wanting to, or are not
allowed to, utilise online sync.

Personally I'd advise waiting a wee while to upgrade to v7 as some UI
elements have been changed and refinements are still needed.

1P7 standalone is a paid upgrade altho' there may still be a special
launch offer available.

Cheers,
Tony

* I have no link to Agilebits except as a paying customer & public beta
tester.
Tim Hodgson
2018-06-05 23:02:49 UTC
Post by Tony Hall
1P7 standalone is a paid upgrade altho' there may still be a special
launch offer available.
I checked this today actually: it's $50 for the standalone licence,
increasing at some unspecified point to $65. (didn't get as far as
seeing what they're charging in £).

There's no upgrade deal.

As Jaimie says, sticking with v6 for the time being seems sensible.
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email
Tony Hall
2018-06-06 01:04:38 UTC
Convert $ to £ + 20% (VAT if applicable)
Jon B
2018-06-06 09:20:06 UTC
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
I checked this today actually: it's $50 for the standalone licence,
increasing at some unspecified point to $65. (didn't get as far as
seeing what they're charging in £).
Convert $ to £ + 20% (VAT if applicable)
£46.99

(I paid up last week)
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
<http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/>
Chris Ridd
2018-06-06 11:32:54 UTC
Post by Jon B
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
I checked this today actually: it's $50 for the standalone licence,
increasing at some unspecified point to $65. (didn't get as far as
seeing what they're charging in £).
Convert $ to £ + 20% (VAT if applicable)
£46.99
(I paid up last week)
I think I should do this too.

Did you migrate from the MAS version to the direct sales version first?
Chris
Jon B
2018-06-06 11:45:10 UTC
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Jon B
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
I checked this today actually: it's $50 for the standalone licence,
increasing at some unspecified point to $65. (didn't get as far as
seeing what they're charging in £).
Convert $ to £ + 20% (VAT if applicable)
£46.99
(I paid up last week)
I think I should do this too.
Did you migrate from the MAS version to the direct sales version first?
Yeah grabbed the download from 1password site, install, then purchase
licence.

They still then try and offer the subscription offer but the "need a
licence" line is there, use that, and you can just buy it. Know as I've
just had a customer on phone miss all that and end up down the
subscription trial.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-06-06 12:12:27 UTC
Post by Jon B
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Jon B
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
I checked this today actually: it's $50 for the standalone licence,
increasing at some unspecified point to $65. (didn't get as far as
seeing what they're charging in £).
Convert $ to £ + 20% (VAT if applicable)
£46.99
(I paid up last week)
I think I should do this too.
Did you migrate from the MAS version to the direct sales version first?
Yeah grabbed the download from 1password site, install, then purchase
licence.
They still then try and offer the subscription offer but the "need a
licence" line is there, use that, and you can just buy it. Know as I've
just had a customer on phone miss all that and end up down the
subscription trial.
I can't work out how upgrading works with the iThing edition, since all
the verbiage on the 1Password site is now about the subs. I'm only
seeing a v7 subscription version on the app store.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Hey T-Rex! This ice cream cake is delicious!"
"Thanks! You don't think it tastes like... *philosophical compromise*?"
-- http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=1093
Ian McCall
2018-06-06 13:17:49 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
I can't work out how upgrading works with the iThing edition, since all
the verbiage on the 1Password site is now about the subs. I'm only
seeing a v7 subscription version on the app store.
I have the v7 iOS version, and it’s syncing with iCloud without bother - no
subscription.

I really, really do not want a) subscription software and b) non-iCloud
security. iCloud security has proven very, very robust and I just don’t
like involving 3rd parties.

Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-06-06 14:02:07 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
I can't work out how upgrading works with the iThing edition, since all
the verbiage on the 1Password site is now about the subs. I'm only
seeing a v7 subscription version on the app store.
I have the v7 iOS version, and it’s syncing with iCloud without bother - no
subscription.
Are you sure you're not just in the free trial period? It's all very
confusing.

If you can purchase a version outright and it somehow makes the Mac and
iOS versions activated, I'd be both surprised and pleased.

Cheers - Jaimie
looks like work." -- Thomas A. Edison
Ian McCall
2018-06-06 15:01:35 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Ian McCall
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
I can't work out how upgrading works with the iThing edition, since all
the verbiage on the 1Password site is now about the subs. I'm only
seeing a v7 subscription version on the app store.
I have the v7 iOS version, and it’s syncing with iCloud without bother - no
subscription.
Are you sure you're not just in the free trial period? It's all very
confusing.
Very sure - it’s not the free trial. I’d paid for earlier versions, and
also paid for the Pro upgrade.
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
If you can purchase a version outright and it somehow makes the Mac and
iOS versions activated, I'd be both surprised and pleased.
This part’s interesting though - mine was an upgrade via the app store,
i.e. I had the older one already there. I don’t know if maybe downloading
the new version doesn’t allow you to set up iCloud syncing or what have
you.

Maybe download and see? Once downloaded just go to Settings->Sync and see if
“Primary Vault: iCloud" is available.

Jon B
2018-06-06 16:51:25 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
If you can purchase a version outright and it somehow makes the Mac and
iOS versions activated, I'd be both surprised and pleased.
This part's interesting though - mine was an upgrade via the app store,
i.e. I had the older one already there. I don't know if maybe downloading
the new version doesn't allow you to set up iCloud syncing or what have
you.
Maybe download and see? Once downloaded just go to Settings->Sync and see if
"Primary Vault: iCloud" is available.
I think once you buy a licence for the Mac, it puts a key in your
1password vault to say you've bought it which the others recognise.
Ian McCall
2018-06-06 19:16:59 UTC
Post by Jon B
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
If you can purchase a version outright and it somehow makes the Mac and
iOS versions activated, I'd be both surprised and pleased.
This part's interesting though - mine was an upgrade via the app store,
i.e. I had the older one already there. I don't know if maybe downloading
the new version doesn't allow you to set up iCloud syncing or what have
you.
Maybe download and see? Once downloaded just go to Settings->Sync and see if
"Primary Vault: iCloud" is available.
I think once you buy a licence for the Mac, it puts a key in your
1password vault to say you've bought it which the others recognise.
True but if it can’t sync with iCloud, then it wouldn’t even know about
the vault. So the iOS v7 must be able to sync with i iCloud somehow. I just
don’t know if it can do so should you download it for the first time, as
opposed to upgrade from the previous versions.

nospam
2018-06-06 19:20:41 UTC
Post by Jon B
Post by Ian McCall
Maybe download and see? Once downloaded just go to Settings->Sync and see
if "Primary Vault: iCloud" is available.
I think once you buy a licence for the Mac, it puts a key in your
1password vault to say you've bought it which the others recognise.
True but if it can¹t sync with iCloud, then it wouldn¹t even know about
the vault. So the iOS v7 must be able to sync with i iCloud somehow. I just
don¹t know if it can do so should you download it for the first time, as
opposed to upgrade from the previous versions.
v7 syncs passwords with icloud and dropbox as well as locally, the same
as before.
Tony Hall
2018-06-06 17:12:45 UTC
If you want to run 1Password 7 as a standalone licence (ie.
non-subscription) you have to download from Agilebits' website...

<https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPM7>

The Mac App Store version is for subscriptions only.

The standalone licence is purchased from within the 1P7 app (not via an
online store).

There is no trial period as a standalone licence (you can try a free 1
month 1password.com subscription).

If you're unhappy with the purchase, I'm sure you'd have no problem
getting a refund. In my experience Agilebits are extremely accommodating
to such things...unless you brazenly take the p***. (Tongue-in-cheek eg.
I bought this app 6 months ago, used it daily, and now I don't like it
and want to buy something shinier...give me my money or else!)

My knowledge of the iOS version is less certain as I'm currently stuck
at v6 on iOS10. When I bought it many years ago there was a free version
with the option to purchase a 'Pro' upgrade, which I did. I think it's a
purchase only option now, but it still works with standalone syncing.

HTH

Cheers,
Tony
Jon B
2018-06-06 16:51:26 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
I can't work out how upgrading works with the iThing edition, since all
the verbiage on the 1Password site is now about the subs. I'm only
seeing a v7 subscription version on the app store.
I have the v7 iOS version, and it's syncing with iCloud without bother - no
subscription.
I really, really do not want a) subscription software and b) non-iCloud
security. iCloud security has proven very, very robust and I just don't
like involving 3rd parties.
Nope, hate subs software, but I can see why they're all going down that
route.

Particularly don't like subs software when its too much. I like
1password, but £40 a year?? It's at least £20 a year too much, the price
point its at is close to that of stuff that you actually use all day
long and earn money from.
Ray
2018-06-06 17:44:26 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Jon B
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Jon B
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
[...]
If you have the App store version6, and get V7 from the AgileBits website.
V7 installs alongside V6. It does not overwrite it.
You then have the option to subscribe or buy a stand alone licence.
I stumped up for the subscription and the app speedily imported all the data
from the previous version,
leaving it still fully functional.
So I have 2 working installs of 1Password, but of course the old one that
syncs via Dropbox no longer gets updated when I add or edit any of the
contents.
--
A bachelor is a selfish, undeserving guy who has cheated some woman out
of a divorce.
--Don Quinn
Tony Hall
2018-06-06 18:01:17 UTC
Post by Ray
If you have the App store version6, and get V7 from the AgileBits website.
V7 installs alongside V6. It does not overwrite it.
You then have the option to subscribe or buy a stand alone licence.
I stumped up for the subscription and the app speedily imported all the data
from the previous version,
leaving it still fully functional.
So I have 2 working installs of 1Password, but of course the old one that
syncs via Dropbox no longer gets updated when I add or edit any of the
contents.
Agilebits don't recommend running two versions (v6 & v7) alongside each
other as it can apparently cause various problems.

When you upgrade v6 to v7, the upgrade process should zip-up your v6 in
the Applications folder.

While your experience doesn't back this advice up, I thought I'd mention
it.

I was under the impression that v7 could utilise a 1P subscription as
well as externally sync'd vaults simultaneously. It may be worth
checking out (their support forums are very active with helpful staff),
but I have no experience with using their subscription so could be
talking complete tosh.

Cheers,
Tony
Ray
2018-06-07 07:07:48 UTC
Post by Ray
If you have the App store version6, and get V7 from the AgileBits website.
V7 installs alongside V6. It does not overwrite it.
You then have the option to subscribe or buy a stand alone licence.
I stumped up for the subscription and the app speedily imported all the data
from the previous version,
leaving it still fully functional.
So I have 2 working installs of 1Password, but of course the old one that
syncs via Dropbox no longer gets updated when I add or edit any of the
contents.
Agilebits don't recommend running two versions (v6 & v7) alongside each
other as it can apparently cause various problems.
They both seem quite happy to co-exist at the moment.
I was under the impression that v7 could utilise a 1P subscription as
well as externally sync'd vaults simultaneously.
Yes it can.
--
Admit nothing, even on your deathbed.
You might suddenly get better.
Chris Ridd
2018-06-07 16:46:11 UTC
Post by Ray
Post by Ray
If you have the App store version6, and get V7 from the AgileBits website.
V7 installs alongside V6. It does not overwrite it.
You then have the option to subscribe or buy a stand alone licence.
I stumped up for the subscription and the app speedily imported all the data
from the previous version,
leaving it still fully functional.
So I have 2 working installs of 1Password, but of course the old one that
syncs via Dropbox no longer gets updated when I add or edit any of the
contents.
Agilebits don't recommend running two versions (v6 & v7) alongside each
other as it can apparently cause various problems.
They both seem quite happy to co-exist at the moment.
I've just got v7 running on my HS Mac, and syncing to Dropbox, which my
old EC Mac is syncing to using v6. Oh, and whatever's current on the
phone is syncing to it as well.

So far so good!

The upgrade experience was pretty messy TBH. Nothing crashed, but it
really wasn't much like their documentation.
Chris
Paul Sture
2018-06-07 06:33:06 UTC
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Jon B
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
I checked this today actually: it's $50 for the standalone licence,
increasing at some unspecified point to $65. (didn't get as far as
seeing what they're charging in £).
Convert $ to £ + 20% (VAT if applicable)
£46.99
(I paid up last week)
I think I should do this too.
I'm afraid I unsubscribed from agilebits missives at a point when the
chap was burbling on about his wonderful holidays just when I'd been
confined to home by torrential rain that lasted a week of holiday time
:-(

Do you mind expanding on the reasons to upgrade?
--
Nothing stinks like a pile of unpublished writing.
-- Sylvia Plath
Jon B
2018-06-08 08:47:01 UTC
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Jon B
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
I checked this today actually: it's $50 for the standalone licence,
increasing at some unspecified point to $65. (didn't get as far as
seeing what they're charging in £).
Convert $ to £ + 20% (VAT if applicable)
£46.99
(I paid up last week)
I think I should do this too.
I'm afraid I unsubscribed from agilebits missives at a point when the
chap was burbling on about his wonderful holidays just when I'd been
confined to home by torrential rain that lasted a week of holiday time
:-(
Do you mind expanding on the reasons to upgrade?
I figured the latest version was more likely to keep on running on newer
OS's before I have to pay them for subs....
Ian McCall
2018-06-08 08:58:12 UTC
Post by Jon B
I figured the latest version was more likely to keep on running on newer
OS's before I have to pay them for subs....
Since I use Chrome so little now, I wonder if the best solution for me might
be to simply use the Safari native stuff. Then again my whole family uses
1Password, so the Family Account thing might make some sense. I just really,
-really- distrust off-site third party security (and hate subscriptionware,
though I may be forced into it with Roland Cloud).

Jon B
2018-06-08 12:28:04 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
Post by Jon B
I figured the latest version was more likely to keep on running on newer
OS's before I have to pay them for subs....
Since I use Chrome so little now, I wonder if the best solution for me might
be to simply use the Safari native stuff. Then again my whole family uses
1Password, so the Family Account thing might make some sense. I just really,
-really- distrust off-site third party security (and hate subscriptionware,
though I may be forced into it with Roland Cloud).
Much as love Apple, I hate having such things tied up in Apple only
stuff. Had enough times in past where running slightly older hardware/OS
somewhere, so suddenly some stuff work work on one machine but not the
other, so I'll keep my passwords well away from that.

That and for various reasons I've usually got multiple browsers running,
so being able to use 1password to sync between browsers as well as
machines is a very useful feature.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-06-08 13:19:41 UTC
Post by Jon B
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Jon B
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
I checked this today actually: it's $50 for the standalone licence,
increasing at some unspecified point to $65. (didn't get as far as
seeing what they're charging in £).
Convert $ to £ + 20% (VAT if applicable)
£46.99
(I paid up last week)
I think I should do this too.
I'm afraid I unsubscribed from agilebits missives at a point when the
chap was burbling on about his wonderful holidays just when I'd been
confined to home by torrential rain that lasted a week of holiday time
:-(
Do you mind expanding on the reasons to upgrade?
I figured the latest version was more likely to keep on running on newer
OS's before I have to pay them for subs....
6 runs in Mojave, and as long as you have the Safari plugin when you
update it's fine, but you can't currently install the plugin new as it's
not in the Mac App Store for plugins and I imagine it won't ever be.

Cheers - Jaimie
Sent from my PDP11/45
Jon B
2018-06-08 13:36:06 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Jon B
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Jon B
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
[...]
I was thinking beyond what is currently available.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-06-08 15:43:03 UTC
Post by Jon B
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Jon B
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Jon B
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
[...]
7 will be needed for any new install so it's the right baseline for a
while. Guess I'm going to have to get on board - once they release the 7
plugin into the App Store, which might not be until Mojave is released
because Apple don't allow pre-release stuff into the app stores....
aarrgh.

Cheers - Jaimie
Sent from my PDP11/45
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-06-09 14:21:43 UTC
On Fri, 08 Jun 2018 16:43:03 +0100, Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Jon B
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Jon B
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Jon B
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
[...]
Ah! There's a back door of sorts. You can still install from the
Extensions Gallery, if you find the URL.

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

Cheers - Jaimie
Pain is nature's way of telling you that you are in terrible agony
Chris Ridd
2018-06-10 17:46:53 UTC
Post by Jon B
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Jon B
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
I checked this today actually: it's $50 for the standalone licence,
increasing at some unspecified point to $65. (didn't get as far as
seeing what they're charging in £).
Convert $ to £ + 20% (VAT if applicable)
£46.99
(I paid up last week)
I think I should do this too.
I'm afraid I unsubscribed from agilebits missives at a point when the
chap was burbling on about his wonderful holidays just when I'd been
confined to home by torrential rain that lasted a week of holiday time
:-(
Do you mind expanding on the reasons to upgrade?
I figured the latest version was more likely to keep on running on newer
OS's before I have to pay them for subs....
For me that's the main feature. Like many products the vendor only ever
fixes bugs and compatibility issues on the latest version.

There's no super obvious new feature that makes it worthwhile IMO.
Chris
Jon B
2018-06-11 10:45:50 UTC
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Jon B
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Jon B
Post by Tony Hall
Post by Tim Hodgson
I checked this today actually: it's $50 for the standalone licence,
increasing at some unspecified point to $65. (didn't get as far as
seeing what they're charging in £).
Convert $ to £ + 20% (VAT if applicable)
£46.99
(I paid up last week)
I think I should do this too.
I'm afraid I unsubscribed from agilebits missives at a point when the
chap was burbling on about his wonderful holidays just when I'd been
confined to home by torrential rain that lasted a week of holiday time
:-(
Do you mind expanding on the reasons to upgrade?
I figured the latest version was more likely to keep on running on newer
OS's before I have to pay them for subs....
For me that's the main feature. Like many products the vendor only ever
fixes bugs and compatibility issues on the latest version.
Yes this last week an Opera update has broken the 1password extension,
it's being fixed in 6/7, but you could imagine another change like that
in a few months could leave v6 users with a broken bit of software.
Post by Chris Ridd
There's no super obvious new feature that makes it worthwhile IMO.
No, to be honest once you've got the first few key features in (making &
saving passwords plus the browser plugins) theres very few features you
need to add. Anything else is bloat.

The check your email against the compromised site list is a good thing,
but yes it doesn't need anything besides "keep working with latest
version of OS/Browser.
Chris Ridd
2018-06-12 05:06:16 UTC
Post by Jon B
Post by Chris Ridd
There's no super obvious new feature that makes it worthwhile IMO.
No, to be honest once you've got the first few key features in (making &
saving passwords plus the browser plugins) theres very few features you
need to add. Anything else is bloat.
It isn't fair to call it "bloat". "Extra" for sure.
Post by Jon B
The check your email against the compromised site list is a good thing,
but yes it doesn't need anything besides "keep working with latest
version of OS/Browser.
The watchtower thing's useful. I've got all our passports and things in
there too, which is all handy.
Chris
Chris
2018-06-05 17:46:05 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Ian McCall
- Stocks app on the Mac? Like the browsers can’t show it already? What is
this weird obsession with to-the-second stock prices anyway? I’m hoping
it’s just their internal practice app for UIKit - i.e. porting the iOS one
to the Mac.
Cultural, innit. Americans.
I just wish it (and others like it) weren't so fixed on pure stocks/shares.
I have a few funds as does my pension, it'd be great to see those. They're
very poorly supported. I've had to hack some web scraping scripts to get
the info myself.
Cheers - Jaimie
Paul Sture
2018-06-05 19:29:46 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Ian McCall
- Stocks app on the Mac? Like the browsers can’t show it already? What is
this weird obsession with to-the-second stock prices anyway? I’m hoping
it’s just their internal practice app for UIKit - i.e. porting the iOS one
to the Mac.
Cultural, innit. Americans.
I just wish it (and others like it) weren't so fixed on pure stocks/shares.
I have a few funds as does my pension, it'd be great to see those. They're
very poorly supported. I've had to hack some web scraping scripts to get
the info myself.
I had thought that the US obsession with stock prices was to do with managing
their own pensions, but your experience doesn't seem to match that.
--
Nothing stinks like a pile of unpublished writing.
-- Sylvia Plath
Theo
2018-06-05 21:17:47 UTC
Post by Paul Sture
I had thought that the US obsession with stock prices was to do with
managing their own pensions, but your experience doesn't seem to match
that.
Apple (at least in the stocks widget in my notification sidebar, untouched
since install) use Yahoo for stock price data. Yahoo carries US mutual fund data,
but their coverage of other markets can be patchy. For example Apple show:
GB00B4PQW151.L (Vanguard Lifestrategy 80%)
but not
GB00BLRZQ737.L (Woodford Equity Income class C)
both of which are listed at Yahoo.

Theo
Chris
2018-06-06 07:20:45 UTC
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Chris
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Ian McCall
- Stocks app on the Mac? Like the browsers can’t show it already? What is
this weird obsession with to-the-second stock prices anyway? I’m hoping
it’s just their internal practice app for UIKit - i.e. porting the iOS one
to the Mac.
Cultural, innit. Americans.
I just wish it (and others like it) weren't so fixed on pure stocks/shares.
I have a few funds as does my pension, it'd be great to see those. They're
very poorly supported. I've had to hack some web scraping scripts to get
the info myself.
I had thought that the US obsession with stock prices was to do with managing
their own pensions, but your experience doesn't seem to match that.
Pensions are moving from defined benefit to defined contribution, with more
direct exposure to the stock market.
Paul Sture
2018-06-06 07:43:26 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Chris
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Ian McCall
- Stocks app on the Mac? Like the browsers can’t show it already?
What is this weird obsession with to-the-second stock prices
anyway? I’m hoping it’s just their internal practice app for UIKit
- i.e. porting the iOS one to the Mac.
Cultural, innit. Americans.
I just wish it (and others like it) weren't so fixed on pure
stocks/shares. I have a few funds as does my pension, it'd be great
to see those. They're very poorly supported. I've had to hack some
web scraping scripts to get the info myself.
I had thought that the US obsession with stock prices was to do with
managing their own pensions, but your experience doesn't seem to
match that.
Pensions are moving from defined benefit to defined contribution, with
more direct exposure to the stock market.
Chatting to a friend from the US 20 years ago, I've a feeling that's how
the US system was working "all along", well in that friend's era anyway.

Here in Switzerland I am on a defined contribution scheme. The last
time I tried comparing the two schemes it was pretty much swings and
roundabouts, but I think I prefer the defined contributions scheme at
the end of the day.
--
Nothing stinks like a pile of unpublished writing.
-- Sylvia Plath
Chris
2018-06-06 17:55:19 UTC
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Chris
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Chris
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Ian McCall
[...]
Depends on the scheme. Here they tried to force through a DC which
increased our contributions and reduced payout by up to 40%. It didn't fly.
Employers now have two years to come up with a better idea.
nospam
2018-06-05 13:33:51 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
- Stand-out headline must have iOS 12 feature - no more silly long press/red
button to close apps on the X. That was a really poor piece of UI, no idea
why they went for it. Felt very mouse-driven-computer-window like, not
gesture-based phone like.
there is no need to routinely close apps on ios devices.

the only reason is if they crash, which is very rare.
Ian McCall
2018-06-05 13:56:05 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Ian McCall
- Stand-out headline must have iOS 12 feature - no more silly long press/red
button to close apps on the X. That was a really poor piece of UI, no idea
why they went for it. Felt very mouse-driven-computer-window like, not
gesture-based phone like.
there is no need to routinely close apps on ios devices.
the only reason is if they crash, which is very rare.
More common than should be really, -usually- due to bad network error
handling. Third party ones get into a state too. Plus there’s another
reason - I want to be able to switch quickly between say three apps, but
I’ve launched several and they’re now in the way. Close them, just keep
the three apps near to switch to.
The performance thing is mostly a myth I agree, though it would stop a few
things working in the background/sending notifications of course. But
there’s other reasons to want to do it.

Cheers,
Ian
nospam
2018-06-05 14:08:40 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
Post by nospam
Post by Ian McCall
- Stand-out headline must have iOS 12 feature - no more silly long press/red
button to close apps on the X. That was a really poor piece of UI, no idea
why they went for it. Felt very mouse-driven-computer-window like, not
gesture-based phone like.
there is no need to routinely close apps on ios devices.
the only reason is if they crash, which is very rare.
More common than should be really, -usually- due to bad network error
handling. Third party ones get into a state too.
it's still rare.
Post by Ian McCall
Plus there¹s another
reason - I want to be able to switch quickly between say three apps, but
I¹ve launched several and they¹re now in the way. Close them, just keep
the three apps near to switch to.
the list is sorted by recently used, so tap the app that's farthest and
it's now first. repeat until the three (or more) are grouped at the
front of the queue.

no need to force-quit anything.
Post by Ian McCall
The performance thing is mostly a myth I agree, though it would stop a few
things working in the background/sending notifications of course. But
there¹s other reasons to want to do it.
no there aren't.

in fact, force-quitting makes things slower.
Tosis
2018-06-06 09:56:42 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Ian McCall
The performance thing is mostly a myth I agree, though it would stop a few
things working in the background/sending notifications of course. But
there¹s other reasons to want to do it.
no there aren't.
in fact, force-quitting makes things slower.
I agree with Ian - I tend to force-quit anything which utilises
location services (facebook, news, maps, waze & other mapping services,
&c.) as soon as I'm done with them.

I know that its then slower to relaunch them later, but overal battery
usage and perceived privacy improvement trumps that for me.
nospam
2018-06-06 14:35:44 UTC
Post by Tosis
Post by nospam
Post by Ian McCall
The performance thing is mostly a myth I agree, though it would stop a few
things working in the background/sending notifications of course. But
there¹s other reasons to want to do it.
no there aren't.
in fact, force-quitting makes things slower.
I agree with Ian - I tend to force-quit anything which utilises
location services (facebook, news, maps, waze & other mapping services,
&c.) as soon as I'm done with them.
there's no reason to do that.
Post by Tosis
I know that its then slower to relaunch them later, but overal battery
usage and perceived privacy improvement trumps that for me.
except it makes it worse, and if you're concerned about privacy, then
you shouldn't be using the app at all.
Tosis
2018-06-06 17:09:58 UTC
my greater concern happens to be battery drain.
nospam
2018-06-06 17:56:26 UTC
Post by Tosis
Post by nospam
except it makes it worse, and if you're concerned about privacy, then
you shouldn't be using the app at all.
my greater concern happens to be battery drain.
battery drain is *increased* if you manually quit apps.

ios knows how to manage power a lot better than users do, and there's
always low power mode if needed.
Paul Sture
2018-06-06 14:59:33 UTC
Post by Tosis
Post by nospam
Post by Ian McCall
The performance thing is mostly a myth I agree, though it would stop a few
things working in the background/sending notifications of course. But
there¹s other reasons to want to do it.
no there aren't.
in fact, force-quitting makes things slower.
I agree with Ian - I tend to force-quit anything which utilises
location services (facebook, news, maps, waze & other mapping services,
&c.) as soon as I'm done with them.
I know that its then slower to relaunch them later, but overal battery
usage and perceived privacy improvement trumps that for me.
Why force quit rather than a normal quit? Or do you suspect that a normal
quit triggers a transmission of data to places you rather it wouldn't?
--
Nothing stinks like a pile of unpublished writing.
-- Sylvia Plath
nospam
2018-06-06 16:02:39 UTC
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Tosis
I agree with Ian - I tend to force-quit anything which utilises
location services (facebook, news, maps, waze & other mapping services,
&c.) as soon as I'm done with them.
I know that its then slower to relaunch them later, but overal battery
usage and perceived privacy improvement trumps that for me.
Why force quit rather than a normal quit? Or do you suspect that a normal
quit triggers a transmission of data to places you rather it wouldn't?
there is no normal quit, at least that the user can do. going into the
recent apps list and closing an app is a force-quit. ios manages app
state by suspending/resuming and quitting/relaunching as needed.
Paul Sture
2018-06-06 20:23:09 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Tosis
I agree with Ian - I tend to force-quit anything which utilises
location services (facebook, news, maps, waze & other mapping services,
&c.) as soon as I'm done with them.
I know that its then slower to relaunch them later, but overal battery
usage and perceived privacy improvement trumps that for me.
Why force quit rather than a normal quit? Or do you suspect that a normal
quit triggers a transmission of data to places you rather it wouldn't?
there is no normal quit, at least that the user can do. going into the
recent apps list and closing an app is a force-quit. ios manages app
state by suspending/resuming and quitting/relaunching as needed.
Ah, I was assuming macOS, problem understood.
--
Nothing stinks like a pile of unpublished writing.
-- Sylvia Plath
nospam
2018-06-06 21:40:18 UTC
Post by Paul Sture
Post by nospam
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Tosis
I agree with Ian - I tend to force-quit anything which utilises
location services (facebook, news, maps, waze & other mapping services,
&c.) as soon as I'm done with them.
I know that its then slower to relaunch them later, but overal battery
usage and perceived privacy improvement trumps that for me.
Why force quit rather than a normal quit? Or do you suspect that a normal
quit triggers a transmission of data to places you rather it wouldn't?
there is no normal quit, at least that the user can do. going into the
recent apps list and closing an app is a force-quit. ios manages app
state by suspending/resuming and quitting/relaunching as needed.
Ah, I was assuming macOS, problem understood.
macos does manage it to an extent with auto-quit, but not all apps
support it, not even all of apple's own.

macs also have a lot more memory and a far higher power budget
(unlimited if plugged into mains power) than a phone.
RJH
2018-06-06 15:56:39 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Ian McCall
- Stand-out headline must have iOS 12 feature - no more silly long press/red
button to close apps on the X. That was a really poor piece of UI, no idea
why they went for it. Felt very mouse-driven-computer-window like, not
gesture-based phone like.
there is no need to routinely close apps on ios devices.
the only reason is if they crash, which is very rare.
If it crashes the job's done ;-)

I'll tend to close any app that uses location services, once I've
finished with it - it's just quicker than stabbing at various menus.
Cheers, Rob
eastender
2018-06-05 13:56:54 UTC
The lack of new Mac hardware is a big disappointment. All the Macs are
rated 'don't buys' owing to age by Mac Rumors, other than the iMac Pro.
Ian McCall
2018-06-05 14:36:56 UTC
Post by eastender
The lack of new Mac hardware is a big disappointment. All the Macs are
rated 'don't buys' owing to age by Mac Rumors, other than the iMac Pro.
True, but I didn’t really expect any at WWDC and would be happy if they
went back to that as being a purely software-focused affair. Would imagine
there would be some more towards the end of this year.

I have a dilemma on hardware - the 2011 iMac is easily enough for use I Mac
of it, but it’s now unsupported and I don’t really like running things
that have aged to that amount.

However, current prices are insane. £2k for a relatively basic 27” iMac
(base->16Gb->trackpad). That’s madness. So again I’m in the dilemma of
say a 2015 vintage eBay’d iMac or buying a big monitor and hooking the
MacBook up. Not really keen on either solution to be honest since the 2011 is
still handling my needs, but I knew it was inevitable the machine would go
this time round.

Cheers,
Ian
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-06-05 15:07:11 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
I have a dilemma on hardware - the 2011 iMac is easily enough for use I Mac
of it, but it’s now unsupported and I don’t really like running things
that have aged to that amount.
However, current prices are insane. £2k for a relatively basic 27” iMac
That's how I laddered myself up to the iMac Pro.

Cheers - Jaimie
#include "clue.h"
eastender
2018-06-05 16:30:27 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
However, current prices are insane. £2k for a relatively basic 27” iMac
(base->16Gb->trackpad). That’s madness.
I remember warning people here shortly after rhe Brexit vote that
prices would shoot up.

I'm not so bothered about the price as I can afford it but I will not
buy old technology unless it's bargain. I may buy a 27inch iMac on the
refurb store but the the right spec rarely come up.

my 2012 Mac Mini i7 is struggling a bit now, especially as one of the
memory slots has failed.
Ian McCall
2018-06-05 16:58:58 UTC
Post by eastender
Post by Ian McCall
However, current prices are insane. £2k for a relatively basic 27” iMac
(base->16Gb->trackpad). That’s madness.
I remember warning people here shortly after rhe Brexit vote that
prices would shoot up.
Oh absolutely, but it was pure opportunism. We actually went -above- the
pre-Brexit exchange rate a few months ago, strangely no sign of a 20% price
cut...

At the moment we’re about stable from what was normal prior to Brexit, give
or take about 5%. There was a daft rise just beforehand the vote that simply
wasn’t justified which magnified the appearance of the drop as well, which
was unhelpful.

Disclaimer: opinion worth what you paid for it, not professional opinion or
advice etc. (I have a background in fx trading technology).

Cheers,
Ian
David Empson
2018-06-06 01:31:28 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
Post by eastender
However, current prices are insane. £2k for a relatively basic 27" iMac
(base->16Gb->trackpad). That's madness.
I remember warning people here shortly after rhe Brexit vote that
prices would shoot up.
Oh absolutely, but it was pure opportunism. We actually went -above- the
pre-Brexit exchange rate a few months ago, strangely no sign of a 20% price
cut...
Based on many years of observing Apple's behaviour from a non-US
perspective...

Apple recalculates their prices outside the US when new models are
introduced, usually spanning related models if it is a limited release
(e.g. any notebook model being updated tends to trigger price changes
for all notebook models).

If the currency goes up during a model's lifetime, Apple gets to cream
extra profit.

If the currency goes down a little during a model's lifetime, Apple
wears the reduced profit, because they build a safety margin into
international prices (and round prices up to their nearest "standard"
price point, e.g. one dollar, pound or euro less than a nice round
number).

There may also be currency hedging involved.

If the currency goes down enough to threaten a loss then Apple does an
emergency update of prices. I recall this happening a few years ago in
Russia.

I don't recall any cases of an emergency reprice triggered by a
currently having gone significantly higher.

One-off changes such as new duties and taxes get applied immediately.
When we had a GST increase in New Zealand I recall Apple's online store
prices increasing by exactly 1.15/1.125, resulting in strange looking
numbers. The next model updates triggered recalculations to rounded
prices.
Post by Ian McCall
At the moment we're about stable from what was normal prior to Brexit, give
or take about 5%. There was a daft rise just beforehand the vote that simply
wasn't justified which magnified the appearance of the drop as well, which
was unhelpful.
If Apple is hedging and the anticipated exchange rate was going to be
lower due to Brexit, that would explain an overall price increase. If
the currency has stabilised near the pre-Brexit-vote level and Apple are
expecting it to remain there, you _should_ get a price cut with the next
model updates.
Post by Ian McCall
Disclaimer: opinion worth what you paid for it, not professional opinion or
advice etc. (I have a background in fx trading technology).
Disclaimer: working from memory and mostly observation of New Zealand
prices, with some reference to Australia and UK for comparison.
--
David Empson
***@actrix.gen.nz
Paul Sture
2018-06-07 06:29:33 UTC
Post by David Empson
Based on many years of observing Apple's behaviour from a non-US
perspective...
Apple recalculates their prices outside the US when new models are
introduced, usually spanning related models if it is a limited release
(e.g. any notebook model being updated tends to trigger price changes
for all notebook models).
If the currency goes up during a model's lifetime, Apple gets to cream
extra profit.
If the currency goes down a little during a model's lifetime, Apple
wears the reduced profit, because they build a safety margin into
international prices (and round prices up to their nearest "standard"
price point, e.g. one dollar, pound or euro less than a nice round
number).
Having monitored this from the Swiss pricing point of view, Apple's
pricing has been much more fair than Microsoft's.
Post by David Empson
There may also be currency hedging involved.
I've no doubt there is. At the start of my career when I worked for a
UK importing company which did forward currency buying when it looked
like the pound was about to fall against the Deutschmark.
Post by David Empson
If the currency goes down enough to threaten a loss then Apple does an
emergency update of prices. I recall this happening a few years ago in
Russia.
I don't recall any cases of an emergency reprice triggered by a
currently having gone significantly higher.
I honestly cannot remember now, but when the Swiss Franc gained
significantly against USD in the aftermath of the subprime crisis,
prices did drop, but maybe that was an initiative by the specific Apple
retailer where I did my grocery shopping (you had to walk past the
lovely Apple displays on the way to the supermarket section - good
marketing I reckon :-) )
--
Nothing stinks like a pile of unpublished writing.
-- Sylvia Plath
Ian McCall
2018-06-07 09:52:29 UTC
Post by Paul Sture
when the Swiss Franc gained
significantly against USD in the aftermath of the subprime crisis
Oh lawn, you mean when they unexpectedly uncapped it vs EUR with their
finance minister expecting the result to be it should go -down-...?

That was a ‘fun’ day.

Paul Sture
2018-06-07 11:39:12 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
Post by Paul Sture
when the Swiss Franc gained
significantly against USD in the aftermath of the subprime crisis
Oh lawn, you mean when they unexpectedly uncapped it vs EUR with their
finance minister expecting the result to be it should go -down-...?
That was a ‘fun’ day.
Aargh, I blinked and missed that one myself. I was busy doing something
like getting my first Drupal website up and running, or deep in Xcode, I
forget which, but the 'fun' day caught me completely by surprise.
--
Nothing stinks like a pile of unpublished writing.
-- Sylvia Plath
RJH
2018-06-06 16:14:21 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
However, current prices are insane. £2k for a relatively basic 27” iMac
(base->16Gb->trackpad). That’s madness.
I remember warning people here shortly after rhe Brexit vote that prices
would shoot up.
I'm not so bothered about the price as I can afford it but I will not
buy old technology unless it's bargain. I may buy a 27inch iMac on the
refurb store but the the right spec rarely come up.
27" iMacs rarely come up at all - mind, I don't check that often. Never
seen an iMac Pro.

The bit that still gets me is the cost of SSD drive upgrades - they
still only supply Fusion drives as standard. £270 for a 500GB SSD is
pushing it.
Cheers, Rob
Chris Ridd
2018-06-06 16:50:04 UTC
Post by RJH
Post by eastender
Post by Ian McCall
However, current prices are insane. £2k for a relatively basic 27” iMac
(base->16Gb->trackpad). That’s madness.
I remember warning people here shortly after rhe Brexit vote that
prices would shoot up.
I'm not so bothered about the price as I can afford it but I will not
buy old technology unless it's bargain. I may buy a 27inch iMac on the
refurb store but the the right spec rarely come up.
27" iMacs rarely come up at all - mind, I don't check that often. Never
seen an iMac Pro.
The bit that still gets me is the cost of SSD drive upgrades - they
still only supply Fusion drives as standard. £270 for a 500GB SSD is
pushing it.
They're NVMe (ish) and not SATA drives though, so I'd expect to pay a
premium. But not 2x :-(
Chris
Chris Ridd
2018-06-05 16:33:34 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
Haven’t seen it but reading up on the RSS headlines there’s some good and
- Home on the Mac. Yes please.
Yup.
Post by Ian McCall
- 2012 Macs upwards, excepting some Pro models. That’s my mid-2011 out
then.
Any sign of Airplay 2 on Macs?
Chris
David Empson
2018-06-06 01:31:29 UTC
Post by Chris Ridd
- 2012 Macs upwards, excepting some Pro models. That's my mid-2011 out
then.
Also means my spare Early 2011 MacBook Pro is too old for pre-upgrade
application testing, leaving me with options of temporarily booting my
main Mac (late 2013 MacBook Pro) from another drive, a virtual machine
(may have to wait for VM software updates), or borrowing my 2012 Mac
Mini at a point when it isn't needing to record stuff with EyeTV.

Speaking of which, where is the 64-bit version, Genentech? I'm happy to
pay for an upgrade, as it has been many years since I paid for EyeTV 3.
Post by Chris Ridd
Any sign of Airplay 2 on Macs?
No.
--
David Empson
***@actrix.gen.nz
Fred
2018-06-05 17:23:01 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
Haven’t seen it but reading up on the RSS headlines there’s some good
[snip]

UK English.