iPhone and the swalowing whole of the RDF
Hugh Chaloner
2007-07-01 11:12:26 UTC
Is anybody else a bit nonplussed about the iPhone hype?

I mean it's a nice gadget an' all, but that's all it is, a smartphone
with a few gimmicky bits.[1]

And the fact that it isn't going to be available in these parts (Eire)
for quite some time is making me feel less than excited about it. A bit
like the iTunes Store for which we had to wait aeons. And then all of a
sudden the excitement was over and, well, it was just an e-shop after
all.[2]

I feel that His Jobness [3] has got the mix of hype, rdf, hyperbole and
marketing just right, considering even /this/ geographically remote list
has been frothed up into a tizzy. I'm kinda vaguely amused by some of
the iPhone vs: Brown column inches thing, but it's sad in a way; I mean
he could be such a /charismatic/ man if he didn't have to compete with a
glittery little gizmo of crystalline beauty. His Jobness may be getting
on, but he still steers a tight ship (insert appropriate metaphor) and
he hasn't lost his rdf touch. I'm just not quite as willing to swallow
it as whole as some of my compadres on this list.[4]

Anyway, 'nuff said, they've marched out of all the shops in north
Amerikay and they'll probably do the same here.

Hugh_C

[1] nice gimmicky bits at that ...
[2] in all liklihood I'll rush out and buy one the minute they're
available here
[3] sadly succumbing to the ageing process like the rest of us: 'the
senescence on display is jarring', see
<http://nymag.com/news/features/33524/>
[4] Having said that, I'm the eejit who just went out and paid the Apple
Tax by purchasing the BlackBook.
http://photos.intercuts.com/portraits/
Ian Robinson
2007-07-01 11:26:49 UTC
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Is anybody else a bit nonplussed about the iPhone hype?
The view seems to be that it isn't hype. It seems to work as
advertised.

Ian
--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK
<http://www.canicula.com/wp/>
Andrew Stephenson
2007-07-01 12:32:47 UTC
Post by Ian Robinson
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Is anybody else a bit nonplussed about the iPhone hype?
The view seems to be that it isn't hype. It seems to work as
advertised.
The funny bit is how worked-up so many people are becoming. As
you say: it works (barring the bugs a Mk1 always contains); the
big story would be if it didn't. :-) POTs still serves my need
for a phone in the UK and in the US I'll hang onto my el-cheapo
clockwork mobile until iPhones are dead cheap and dead common.
Andrew Stephenson
Woody
2007-07-01 11:26:55 UTC
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Is anybody else a bit nonplussed about the iPhone hype?
I think most people here have shown not that much interest in it, given
how much the rest of the world seems to care.
Post by Hugh Chaloner
I mean it's a nice gadget an' all, but that's all it is, a smartphone
with a few gimmicky bits.[1]
That is true. It is just a phone.
If it was a phone that you could add applications to, or just a 'smart
platform', I would want one like mad, but it is just a phone that is not
available here.

Ultimately apart from the rush of running out and getting one, a phone
is not particularly exciting.
Post by Hugh Chaloner
A bit
like the iTunes Store for which we had to wait aeons. And then all of a
sudden the excitement was over and, well, it was just an e-shop after
all.[2]
Well, i wouldn't say that as even a smart phone is more interesting than
a music store and I wan't interested in that before or after.
In fact it is a music store with broken music.
Post by Hugh Chaloner
I feel that His Jobness [3] has got the mix of hype, rdf, hyperbole and
marketing just right, considering even /this/ geographically remote list
has been frothed up into a tizzy.
Has it? I thought the amount of coverage here wasn't that high compared
to other things.
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Anyway, 'nuff said, they've marched out of all the shops in north
Amerikay and they'll probably do the same here.
Of course they will, they will buy anything really. In fact if the
prices come down as I guess they will, it gets the missing things (Just
3g for me really), and appears on someone other than T-Mobile (or
orange) then I would get one in a few generations time.

Then I will post endless whinges about how greasy it gets.
Post by Hugh Chaloner
[2] in all liklihood I'll rush out and buy one the minute they're
available here
If they fix the things that are wrong. I use the internet on my phone a
lot more than I expected, so the lack of 3g would make it less useful.
Post by Hugh Chaloner
[4] Having said that, I'm the eejit who just went out and paid the Apple
Tax by purchasing the BlackBook.
I bought a macbook pro. But that is more exciting!
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2007-07-01 13:35:18 UTC
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Is anybody else a bit nonplussed about the iPhone hype?
I mean it's a nice gadget an' all, but that's all it is, a smartphone
with a few gimmicky bits.[1]
It's Apple entering a new arena with literally millions of units of an
extremely shiny toy, after totally dominating the other major source
of electronics in people's pockets.

Plus there'll be a lot of expectation that Apple can come up with a
*decent* smartphone, since WinCE and Symbian are both a bit rubbish
and crashy. And apparently they've managed it, so that's nice.

Worth a bit of interest by anyone interested in the technophile,
financial and telecoms markets - which means a lot of people.

Cheers - Jaimie
Sarah Brown
2007-07-02 11:29:09 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Is anybody else a bit nonplussed about the iPhone hype?
I mean it's a nice gadget an' all, but that's all it is, a smartphone
with a few gimmicky bits.[1]
It's Apple entering a new arena with literally millions of units of an
extremely shiny toy, after totally dominating the other major source
of electronics in people's pockets.
...and yet they released it in the US first - the most backward market
for mobile phones in the developed world. That seems ... courageous.
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Plus there'll be a lot of expectation that Apple can come up with a
*decent* smartphone, since WinCE and Symbian are both a bit rubbish
and crashy. And apparently they've managed it, so that's nice.
My Symbian phone (p910i) is a bit sluggish, but it lets me run useful
applications like PuTTY and an IRC client on it. iPhone, as I
understand, doesn't - the closest you get to installing applications
is web scripting. I'll hang on to my p910i for the forseeable future.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2007-07-02 13:02:08 UTC
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:29:09 GMT, Sarah Brown
Post by Sarah Brown
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Is anybody else a bit nonplussed about the iPhone hype?
I mean it's a nice gadget an' all, but that's all it is, a smartphone
with a few gimmicky bits.[1]
It's Apple entering a new arena with literally millions of units of an
extremely shiny toy, after totally dominating the other major source
of electronics in people's pockets.
...and yet they released it in the US first - the most backward market
for mobile phones in the developed world. That seems ... courageous.
Home market. They'd be crucified by the shareholders if they didn't do
it there.

Also means that almost no-one there noticed the lack of 3G support!
There are benefits to having not-so-good infrastructure...
Post by Sarah Brown
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Plus there'll be a lot of expectation that Apple can come up with a
*decent* smartphone, since WinCE and Symbian are both a bit rubbish
and crashy. And apparently they've managed it, so that's nice.
My Symbian phone (p910i) is a bit sluggish, but it lets me run useful
applications like PuTTY and an IRC client on it. iPhone, as I
understand, doesn't - the closest you get to installing applications
is web scripting. I'll hang on to my p910i for the forseeable future.
There are persistent rumours, though it could just be wishful
thinking. That the iPhone firmware is available off Apple's website is
interesting, but the weekend's discovery that the ARM chip in the
iPhone has a Trusted Computing unit means that may not be as useful as
it sounds.

I should mention that I really didn't like to say that Symbian is a
bit crashy, but my Nokia 9300i (and the 9500 before it) have crashed
*loads* more than the Psion 5mx and 3MX that I had before.

By *loads* I mean about three/four times a year over the last three,
as opposed to once in five years with the Psions.

There's an excellent history of Psion over at The Register, btw -
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/26/psion_special/

Cheers - Jaimie
Sarah Brown
2007-07-02 13:44:26 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
There are persistent rumours, though it could just be wishful
thinking. That the iPhone firmware is available off Apple's website is
interesting, but the weekend's discovery that the ARM chip in the
iPhone has a Trusted Computing unit means that may not be as useful as
it sounds.
Doesn't mean they have to use it - I used to work for ARM until 2004,
and at that point the whole "trusted computing" thing seemed to be
regarded as just something that the product line would need to be
"properly dressed", as it were. The generation of cores that were
being designed at that point will be the ones making it into products
about now, so I'd not read much into that at all.
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
I should mention that I really didn't like to say that Symbian is a
bit crashy, but my Nokia 9300i (and the 9500 before it) have crashed
*loads* more than the Psion 5mx and 3MX that I had before.
SymbianOS more or less works, but it's clunky as hell and far too
heavyweight for a mobile platform. It sometimes boggles my mind that
they managed to make a 190MHz ARM9 (I *think* that's what my P910i
has) run so slowly...
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2007-07-02 16:38:06 UTC
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:44:26 GMT, Sarah Brown
Post by Sarah Brown
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
There are persistent rumours, though it could just be wishful
thinking. That the iPhone firmware is available off Apple's website is
interesting, but the weekend's discovery that the ARM chip in the
iPhone has a Trusted Computing unit means that may not be as useful as
it sounds.
Doesn't mean they have to use it - I used to work for ARM until 2004,
and at that point the whole "trusted computing" thing seemed to be
regarded as just something that the product line would need to be
"properly dressed", as it were. The generation of cores that were
being designed at that point will be the ones making it into products
about now, so I'd not read much into that at all.
That's what the comments on the "We took an iPhone apart and checked
all the product numbers" blogs said too - makes sense to me.
Post by Sarah Brown
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
I should mention that I really didn't like to say that Symbian is a
bit crashy, but my Nokia 9300i (and the 9500 before it) have crashed
*loads* more than the Psion 5mx and 3MX that I had before.
SymbianOS more or less works, but it's clunky as hell and far too
heavyweight for a mobile platform. It sometimes boggles my mind that
they managed to make a 190MHz ARM9 (I *think* that's what my P910i
has) run so slowly...
It's a shame, since the Psion 5mx was so lightweight and fast. I'd
love to know if it was that the OS is slower since being tied to the
real-time phone parts, or if it's memory access speeds or something.

Cheers - Jaimie
Robert Moir
2007-07-01 14:49:08 UTC
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Is anybody else a bit nonplussed about the iPhone hype?
I mean it's a nice gadget an' all, but that's all it is, a smartphone
with a few gimmicky bits.[1]
At the moment it's basically a SmartPhone for Apple fanatics who drink kool
aid faster than Steve Jobs can brew it (the Apple version of Microsoft
supporters who actually purchased a *shudder* Zune) and people who don't
know what a real SmartPhone can do.

It's v1 though, and you can't expect too much of v1 of anything. Of all the
missing things that leave me outright shocked is cut and paste. From what
reviews and stuff I've seen, this oversight is tripping people up in no end
of different places.

Right now, I can't see anything in the iPhone that is going to make me trade
in my HTC TyTN.
David Kennedy
2007-07-01 15:02:22 UTC
Post by Robert Moir
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Is anybody else a bit nonplussed about the iPhone hype?
I mean it's a nice gadget an' all, but that's all it is, a smartphone
with a few gimmicky bits.[1]
At the moment it's basically a SmartPhone for Apple fanatics who drink kool
aid faster than Steve Jobs can brew it (the Apple version of Microsoft
supporters who actually purchased a *shudder* Zune) and people who don't
know what a real SmartPhone can do.
It's v1 though, and you can't expect too much of v1 of anything. Of all the
missing things that leave me outright shocked is cut and paste. From what
reviews and stuff I've seen, this oversight is tripping people up in no end
of different places.
Right now, I can't see anything in the iPhone that is going to make me trade
in my HTC TyTN.
Does it do voice dialing ?
--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
Robert Moir
The TyTN? Yes, though I don't use it myself so I can't vouch for it.
David Kennedy
2007-07-01 15:57:00 UTC
Post by Robert Moir
"David Kennedy"
Post by David Kennedy
Post by Robert Moir
Post by Hugh Chaloner
[...]
I'd like a phone with voice dialling that actually works - in other
words one you don't end up screaming at after you've repeated yourself
for the fifth time, bluetooth, a decent simple interface, good standby
time whilst using the bluetooth feature and either a slide or flip format.

Not much to ask for really.

Oh yes, and the ability to make phone calls.

Woody
2007-07-01 16:04:36 UTC
Post by David Kennedy
Post by Robert Moir
"David Kennedy"
Post by David Kennedy
Post by Robert Moir
Post by Hugh Chaloner
[...]
It works on the N73 every time I have used it. That isn't often, but it
worked.
Post by David Kennedy
words one you don't end up screaming at after you've repeated yourself
for the fifth time, bluetooth, a decent simple interface, good standby
time whilst using the bluetooth feature and either a slide or flip format.
Apart from the slide, I would say the nokia n6310i would fit the bill
there.
Post by David Kennedy
Oh yes, and the ability to make phone calls.
And that.
Woody
David Kennedy
2007-07-01 16:48:57 UTC
Post by David Kennedy
words one you don't end up screaming at after you've repeated yourself
for the fifth time, bluetooth, a decent simple interface, good standby
time whilst using the bluetooth feature and either a slide or flip format.
Apart from the slide, I would say the nokia n6310i would fit the bill
there.
That's fairly important. I tend to stick them in my pocket where they go
off all the time un-noticed. Yes I know you can lock the keyboard etc.
but it all gets in the way of things. The D900 I have at the moment does
everything apart from the voice dialling. The V3 my wife has is really
frustrating on the voice dialling bit. Most phones also seem to have
very limited battery life when used with the bluetooth on all day.
Post by Woody
Post by David Kennedy
Oh yes, and the ability to make phone calls.
And that.
Is there a decent mobile review web site ?

zoara
2007-07-01 23:16:42 UTC
David Kennedy
Post by David Kennedy
Is there a decent mobile review web site ?
Mobile Burn is pretty comprehensive.

-z-
defecation occurs
David Kennedy
2007-07-02 06:17:13 UTC
Post by David Kennedy
David Kennedy
Post by David Kennedy
Is there a decent mobile review web site ?
Mobile Burn is pretty comprehensive.
-z-
Thank you. I'll have a look.

Bella Jones
2007-07-01 17:18:33 UTC
[...]
Post by Woody
Post by David Kennedy
I'd like a phone with voice dialling that actually works
It works on the N73 every time I have used it. That isn't often, but it
worked.
I am now to believe that the N73 route is in fact on a leyline, it is
invoked so much here!
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
Woody
2007-07-01 17:56:06 UTC
Post by Bella Jones
[...]
Post by Woody
Post by David Kennedy
I'd like a phone with voice dialling that actually works
It works on the N73 every time I have used it. That isn't often, but it
worked.
I am now to believe that the N73 route is in fact on a leyline, it is
invoked so much here!
Nope - just the phone I have, so generally what I compare other phones
to. I have a friend at work with an N95 which does more, but so far it
hasn't been so reliable.
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
PeterD
2007-07-01 18:44:46 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Bella Jones
I am now to believe that the N73 route is in fact on a leyline, it is
invoked so much here!
Nope - just the phone I have, so generally what I compare other phones
to. I have a friend at work with an N95 which does more, but so far it
hasn't been so reliable.
My wife's N73 crashes periodically. She's actually on her third. The
first one broke in some way (can't remember how or what), the
replacement crashed constantly - many times a day - so was itself
replaced. This one is fairly reliable, but once a week, or two, it'll
crash or hang and need restarting, which is a pain because they do take
a while to boot up and invariably it's when you need to call someone to
say you'll be late or something equally time critical.
Pd
Woody
2007-07-01 18:58:18 UTC
Post by PeterD
Post by Woody
Post by Bella Jones
I am now to believe that the N73 route is in fact on a leyline, it is
invoked so much here!
Nope - just the phone I have, so generally what I compare other phones
to. I have a friend at work with an N95 which does more, but so far it
hasn't been so reliable.
My wife's N73 crashes periodically. She's actually on her third. The
first one broke in some way (can't remember how or what), the
replacement crashed constantly - many times a day - so was itself
replaced. This one is fairly reliable, but once a week, or two, it'll
crash or hang and need restarting
I wouldnt call that reliable. Mine has done it twice in 6 months. It
doesn't take that long to start though (but it shouldn't happen obviously).

Mine is a bit tatty as I threw it down the road then kicked it, but it
didn't seem to do it any real harm
Woody
Jon B
2007-07-02 11:04:40 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by PeterD
Post by Woody
Post by Bella Jones
I am now to believe that the N73 route is in fact on a leyline, it is
invoked so much here!
Nope - just the phone I have, so generally what I compare other phones
to. I have a friend at work with an N95 which does more, but so far it
hasn't been so reliable.
My wife's N73 crashes periodically. She's actually on her third. The
first one broke in some way (can't remember how or what), the
replacement crashed constantly - many times a day - so was itself
replaced. This one is fairly reliable, but once a week, or two, it'll
crash or hang and need restarting
I wouldnt call that reliable. Mine has done it twice in 6 months. It
doesn't take that long to start though (but it shouldn't happen obviously).
Mine is a bit tatty as I threw it down the road then kicked it, but it
didn't seem to do it any real harm
My N73 had to be rebooted several times on Saturday night whilst trying
to use the camera, I was about ready to kick it down the road.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
<http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.
Bella Jones
2007-07-01 19:07:06 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Bella Jones
[...]
Post by Woody
Post by David Kennedy
I'd like a phone with voice dialling that actually works
It works on the N73 every time I have used it. That isn't often, but it
worked.
I am now to believe that the N73 route is in fact on a leyline, it is
invoked so much here!
Nope - just the phone I have, so generally what I compare other phones
to. I have a friend at work with an N95 which does more, but so far it
hasn't been so reliable.
Are you sure you don't mean the N94? Acton Green to Piccadilly Circus?
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
Woody
2007-07-01 19:55:18 UTC
Post by Bella Jones
Post by Woody
Post by Bella Jones
[...]
Post by Woody
Post by David Kennedy
I'd like a phone with voice dialling that actually works
It works on the N73 every time I have used it. That isn't often, but it
worked.
I am now to believe that the N73 route is in fact on a leyline, it is
invoked so much here!
Nope - just the phone I have, so generally what I compare other phones
to. I have a friend at work with an N95 which does more, but so far it
hasn't been so reliable.
Are you sure you don't mean the N94? Acton Green to Piccadilly Circus?
I know nothing of the forms of transport you smog dwellers use to transport
yourselves around
Woody
Bella Jones
2007-07-01 20:02:43 UTC
[...]
Post by Woody
Post by Bella Jones
Post by Woody
Post by Bella Jones
I am now to believe that the N73 route is in fact on a leyline, it is
invoked so much here!
Nope - just the phone I have, so generally what I compare other phones
to. I have a friend at work with an N95 which does more, but so far it
hasn't been so reliable.
Are you sure you don't mean the N94? Acton Green to Piccadilly Circus?
I know nothing of the forms of transport you smog dwellers use to transport
yourselves around
I prefer donkey-cart, myself.

Anyway, I too am looking for a new phone soon, but I cannot decide
whether to go for a SE one with a nice camera, or go for web on the move
with a Blackberry or similar. Due to my indecisive torment, I still
have a 3.5 year old T610!
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
Woody
2007-07-01 20:08:48 UTC
Post by Bella Jones
[...]
Post by Woody
Post by Bella Jones
Post by Woody
Post by Bella Jones
I am now to believe that the N73 route is in fact on a leyline, it is
invoked so much here!
Nope - just the phone I have, so generally what I compare other phones
to. I have a friend at work with an N95 which does more, but so far it
hasn't been so reliable.
Are you sure you don't mean the N94? Acton Green to Piccadilly Circus?
I know nothing of the forms of transport you smog dwellers use to transport
yourselves around
I prefer donkey-cart, myself.
Anyway, I too am looking for a new phone soon, but I cannot decide
whether to go for a SE one with a nice camera, or go for web on the move
with a Blackberry or similar.
Blackberry - wow - heavy duty business chick! A bit to huge for my liking
and I use the web a lot on the phone. Don't normal SE phones do web ok
then?
Post by Bella Jones
Due to my indecisive torment, I still
have a 3.5 year old T610!
You could wait for an iPhone :-)
Woody
Bella Jones
2007-07-11 20:21:48 UTC
[...]
Post by Woody
Post by Bella Jones
Anyway, I too am looking for a new phone soon, but I cannot decide
whether to go for a SE one with a nice camera, or go for web on the move
with a Blackberry or similar.
Blackberry - wow - heavy duty business chick! A bit to huge for my liking
and I use the web a lot on the phone. Don't normal SE phones do web ok
then?
Screen too small IMO. Looked at Bberry Pearl, but it would annoy me for
web stuff.
Post by Woody
Post by Bella Jones
Due to my indecisive torment, I still
have a 3.5 year old T610!
You could wait for an iPhone :-)
Not excited quite yet. Just seems like a whole bucket of money, like
the iPod to the power of 100. Did you see the video of the queue for
them outside a Texas apple store, and a woman paid 16K to get to the
head of the queue with 100K (lots anyway) to spend and put them on eBay.
Alas tehy were only doing one per customer.

no idea if real, but amusing anyway.
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
zoara
2007-07-01 23:16:43 UTC
Post by Bella Jones
Post by Woody
Post by Bella Jones
[...]
Post by Woody
Post by David Kennedy
I'd like a phone with voice dialling that actually works
It works on the N73 every time I have used it. That isn't often, but it
worked.
I am now to believe that the N73 route is in fact on a leyline, it is
invoked so much here!
Nope - just the phone I have, so generally what I compare other phones
to. I have a friend at work with an N95 which does more, but so far it
hasn't been so reliable.
Are you sure you don't mean the N94? Acton Green to Piccadilly Circus?
Good move. Regent's Park.

-z-
defecation occurs
Bella Jones
2007-07-02 06:26:06 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Bella Jones
Post by Woody
Nope - just the phone I have, so generally what I compare other phones
to. I have a friend at work with an N95 which does more, but so far it
hasn't been so reliable.
Are you sure you don't mean the N94? Acton Green to Piccadilly Circus?
Good move. Regent's Park.
Regent's Park is closed for refurbishment, so I will invoke the
Plodninsky Half-Hitch. Euston.
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
zoara
2007-07-02 08:55:07 UTC
Post by Bella Jones
Post by zoara
Post by Bella Jones
Post by Woody
Nope - just the phone I have, so generally what I compare other phones
to. I have a friend at work with an N95 which does more, but so far it
hasn't been so reliable.
Are you sure you don't mean the N94? Acton Green to Piccadilly Circus?
Good move. Regent's Park.
Regent's Park is closed for refurbishment,
It is? Damn, I should have checked.
Post by Bella Jones
so I will invoke the Plodninsky Half-Hitch. Euston.
Then the only choice I have is between Angel and Tottenham Court Road,
and given your infamous style of play the best choice would seem to be:

Angel

-zoara-
defecation occurs
PeterD
2007-07-02 18:24:10 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Bella Jones
Post by zoara
Post by Bella Jones
so I will invoke the Plodninsky Half-Hitch. Euston.
Then the only choice I have is between Angel and Tottenham Court Road,
Angel
Luckily for you it's my move, or Bella would have pulled the little
regarded but actually quite handy Walthamstow Triangle, leaving you
utterly flambasted. But I'm a kindly soul, so I'll leave you the bolt
hole, if you can find it: Elephant and Castle.
Pd
zoara
2007-07-09 15:18:50 UTC
Post by PeterD
Post by zoara
Post by Bella Jones
Post by zoara
Post by Bella Jones
so I will invoke the Plodninsky Half-Hitch. Euston.
Then the only choice I have is between Angel and Tottenham Court Road,
Angel
Luckily for you it's my move, or Bella would have pulled the little
regarded but actually quite handy Walthamstow Triangle, leaving you
utterly flambasted. But I'm a kindly soul, so I'll leave you the bolt
hole, if you can find it: Elephant and Castle.
Aha! I wait until Monday, which means...

Mornington Crescent!

Patience pays off.

-z-
defecation occurs
Flavio Matani
2007-07-02 09:34:47 UTC
Post by Bella Jones
[...]
Post by Woody
Post by David Kennedy
I'd like a phone with voice dialling that actually works
It works on the N73 every time I have used it. That isn't often, but it
worked.
I am now to believe that the N73 route is in fact on a leyline, it is
invoked so much here!
Ah, the old N73 route. All the way from Victoria to Tottenham, Stoke
Newington's lifeline... surely a layline there...

What? Phones? I'm still quite happy with my Nokia E61. I can see that
once I tried an iPhone the E61 might feel a bit primitive, but since
that is not currently an option anyway...

One thing about mobile phones: they don't seem to be built to last
longer than a couple of years, it would seem. The menu button in my E61
is beginning to ignore key presses once in a while.. every other phone I
ever had eventually took to start switching itself off, etc...
--
flavio matani guitar tuition
***@flaviomatani.co.uk
http://flavius-m.livejournal.com/
zoara
2007-07-02 20:36:48 UTC
Post by Flavio Matani
One thing about mobile phones: they don't seem to be built to last
longer than a couple of years, it would seem. The menu button in my E61
is beginning to ignore key presses once in a while.. every other phone I
ever had eventually took to start switching itself off, etc...
If they lasted longer, you'd have less incentive to 'upgrade'. I don't
mean to sound like a 'built-in obsolescence' conspiracist, but it's not
exactly in their best interests to make long-lasting phones, is it?

-zoara-
defecation occurs
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2007-07-02 21:28:40 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Flavio Matani
One thing about mobile phones: they don't seem to be built to last
longer than a couple of years, it would seem. The menu button in my E61
is beginning to ignore key presses once in a while.. every other phone I
ever had eventually took to start switching itself off, etc...
If they lasted longer, you'd have less incentive to 'upgrade'. I don't
mean to sound like a 'built-in obsolescence' conspiracist, but it's not
exactly in their best interests to make long-lasting phones, is it?
Given the physical mistreatment phones tend to get, I don't think they
need to be designed to fail. Too much risk of kit falling apart within
the warranty period, not to mention the political risks of being found
out.

Cheers - Jaimie
zoara
2007-07-03 17:51:05 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by zoara
Post by Flavio Matani
One thing about mobile phones: they don't seem to be built to last
longer than a couple of years, it would seem. The menu button in my E61
is beginning to ignore key presses once in a while.. every other phone I
ever had eventually took to start switching itself off, etc...
If they lasted longer, you'd have less incentive to 'upgrade'. I don't
mean to sound like a 'built-in obsolescence' conspiracist, but it's not
exactly in their best interests to make long-lasting phones, is it?
Given the physical mistreatment phones tend to get, I don't think they
need to be designed to fail. Too much risk of kit falling apart within
the warranty period, not to mention the political risks of being found
out.
I'm not talking about designing to fail; more like not putting in the
extra expense to make them likely to last a long time. Slightly
different emphasis.

-z-
defecation occurs
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2007-07-03 18:32:02 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by zoara
Post by Flavio Matani
[...]
Oh, absolutely with you there. Everything will be designed down to a
cost after all, and buckling-surface switches are prone to failure
after a certain number of uses. If the phone is flexible, the internal
interconnects might go - everything else is solid state.

Come to think of it, the iPhone should be pretty resilient - or at
least it's unlikely to degrade, it'll just shatter or the
touch-surface will stop working.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex."
-- Marvin the Martian
T i m
2007-07-03 19:45:17 UTC
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:32:02 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Come to think of it, the iPhone should be pretty resilient - or at
least it's unlikely to degrade, it'll just shatter or the
touch-surface will stop working.
Seems quite tough ..

http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-page,1-bid,0/video.html

All the best ..

T i m
zoara
2007-07-03 21:12:21 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Come to think of it, the iPhone should be pretty resilient - or at
least it's unlikely to degrade, it'll just shatter or the
touch-surface will stop working.
Seems quite tough ..
http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-page,1-bid,0/video.html
...or not:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/02/smashed-iphone-not-so-cool-looking/

Whoops.

-z-
defecation occurs
Hugh Browton
2007-07-01 18:41:46 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by David Kennedy
Post by Robert Moir
"David Kennedy"
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Is anybody else a bit nonplussed about the iPhone hype?
I mean it's a nice gadget an' all, but that's all it is, a smartphone
with a few gimmicky bits.[1]
words one you don't end up screaming at after you've repeated yourself
for the fifth time, bluetooth, a decent simple interface, good standby
time whilst using the bluetooth feature and either a slide or flip format.
Apart from the slide, I would say the nokia n6310i would fit the bill
there.
Aye, and there's the rub. How old is that phone now? Mine's getting cranky,
and I'll have to buy a new one. (I got given by Orange an N73 - but after
trying hard for 4 weeks to like it, I put the SIM card back in the N6310i)
Post by Woody
Post by David Kennedy
Oh yes, and the ability to make phone calls.
And that.
--
regards
hugh

You never can truly tell when you have run out of invisible ink.
Woody
2007-07-01 18:52:08 UTC
Post by Hugh Browton
Post by Woody
Post by David Kennedy
Post by Robert Moir
"David Kennedy"
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Is anybody else a bit nonplussed about the iPhone hype?
I mean it's a nice gadget an' all, but that's all it is, a smartphone
with a few gimmicky bits.[1]
words one you don't end up screaming at after you've repeated yourself
for the fifth time, bluetooth, a decent simple interface, good standby
time whilst using the bluetooth feature and either a slide or flip format.
Apart from the slide, I would say the nokia n6310i would fit the bill
there.
Aye, and there's the rub. How old is that phone now?
I doubt it has been in production in the last 3 years. I have had a few
phones since then.
Post by Hugh Browton
Mine's getting cranky,
and I'll have to buy a new one.
I still have mine, as it is unlocked and a handy all network phone
Post by Hugh Browton
(I got given by Orange an N73 - but after
trying hard for 4 weeks to like it, I put the SIM card back in the N6310i)
Well, I like mine, and don't use the 6310i as I use the internet on the
phone a lot, but that wasn't in the list of things that David wanted to do.

I don't understand why people who don't want to use the internet don't stay
with those sort of phones, which were imo the pinicle of 'just a phone'
technology.

Allthough if I wanted something new and didn't want to use the net, I would
get a nokia 6300. Really nice thin phone that works well, good battery
life. If it had 3G I would have it.
Woody
Hugh Browton
2007-07-01 22:07:19 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Hugh Browton
Post by Woody
Post by David Kennedy
Post by Robert Moir
Post by Hugh Browton
(I got given by Orange an N73 - but after
trying hard for 4 weeks to like it, I put the SIM card back in the N6310i)
Well, I like mine, and don't use the 6310i as I use the internet on the
phone a lot, but that wasn't in the list of things that David wanted to do.
I don't understand why people who don't want to use the internet don't stay
with those sort of phones, which were imo the pinicle of 'just a phone'
technology.
Allthough if I wanted something new and didn't want to use the net, I would
get a nokia 6300. Really nice thin phone that works well, good battery
life. If it had 3G I would have it.
I wanted to like the N73, but it is bigger than the 6310, it has less good
reception, and much less good battery life of course, and I found the screen
difficult to read. It seems like a missed opportubity - a wonderful big
screen, and then the UI designers make me put my spectacles on to read small
colourful type on a colour screen. The contrast on the monochrome 6310 means
I can just about read it sans specs, but I had real problems reading the N73
screen, sometimes even with spectacles. I wanted to use System Preferences >>
Universal Access to give me BIG letters and icons for 'phone usage.

Woody
2007-07-01 22:17:21 UTC
Post by Hugh Browton
Post by Woody
Post by Hugh Browton
(I got given by Orange an N73 - but after
trying hard for 4 weeks to like it, I put the SIM card back in the N6310i)
Well, I like mine, and don't use the 6310i as I use the internet on the
phone a lot, but that wasn't in the list of things that David wanted to do.
I don't understand why people who don't want to use the internet don't stay
with those sort of phones, which were imo the pinicle of 'just a phone'
technology.
Allthough if I wanted something new and didn't want to use the net, I would
get a nokia 6300. Really nice thin phone that works well, good battery
life. If it had 3G I would have it.
I wanted to like the N73, but it is bigger than the 6310, it has less good
reception, and much less good battery life of course, and I found the screen
difficult to read.
It is bigger and has a less good battery life, but I find reception at
least as good (in that in the same places where reception is marginal on
the 6310i, it is as marginal on the N73) and some cases better.
Post by Hugh Browton
It seems like a missed opportubity - a wonderful big
screen, and then the UI designers make me put my spectacles on to read small
colourful type on a colour screen.
Well, my type isn't colourful, I have a mac theme on it with big clear
white letters on a blue background. It is very customisable
Post by Hugh Browton
The contrast on the monochrome 6310 means
I can just about read it sans specs, but I had real problems reading the N73
screen, sometimes even with spectacles.
No problems here. Obviously the text is going to be bigger by default on
the 6310i, as it just has a few lines of text, and a mono LCD is always
going to be clearer to read without a backlight, but it is pretty well
useless for the web.

They are really different types of phones.
Post by Hugh Browton
I wanted to use System Preferences >>
Universal Access to give me BIG letters and icons for 'phone usage.
Just use themes instead
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Hugh Browton
2007-07-02 05:32:27 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Hugh Browton
Post by Woody
Post by Hugh Browton
[...]
ISTR less good, IME
Post by Hugh Browton
The contrast on the monochrome 6310 means
I can just about read it sans specs, but I had real problems reading the N73
screen, sometimes even with spectacles.
No problems here. Obviously the text is going to be bigger by default on
the 6310i, as it just has a few lines of text, and a mono LCD is always
going to be clearer to read without a backlight, but it is pretty well
useless for the web.
They are really different types of phones.
I agree, and I don't use the web on the move on a screen that size.
Post by Woody
Post by Hugh Browton
I wanted to use System Preferences >>
Universal Access to give me BIG letters and icons for 'phone usage.
Just use themes instead
Does that work a) on the front page - to show me battery and signal
strength?; and b) in the Address Book to show me tel nos in more than 5 point
type?

If so, I'll try it and give the machine another go. I liked how it paired
easily with my BT headset at switch on, and I liked the better searching
facilities.

Woody
2007-07-02 06:46:03 UTC
Post by Hugh Browton
Post by Woody
No problems here. Obviously the text is going to be bigger by default on
the 6310i, as it just has a few lines of text, and a mono LCD is always
going to be clearer to read without a backlight, but it is pretty well
useless for the web.
They are really different types of phones.
I agree, and I don't use the web on the move on a screen that size.
I find it works well. The standard browser zoom is pretty good, or
failing that opera mini reflows pages so they fit in the screen.

I tend to just view short information pages, like my mail, google maps,
yellow pages etc.
Post by Hugh Browton
Post by Woody
Post by Hugh Browton
I wanted to use System Preferences >>
Universal Access to give me BIG letters and icons for 'phone usage.
Just use themes instead
Does that work a) on the front page - to show me battery and signal
strength?; and b) in the Address Book to show me tel nos in more than 5 point
type?
b) certainly.
a) my theme makes them solid bars, I have seen themes done differently
Post by Hugh Browton
If so, I'll try it and give the machine another go. I liked how it paired
easily with my BT headset at switch on, and I liked the better searching
facilities.
I didn't like how the middle button fell off, but 3 put that on again
pretty quickly!
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Hugh Browton
2007-07-02 10:42:32 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Hugh Browton
Post by Woody
Post by Hugh Browton
I wanted to use System Preferences >>
Universal Access to give me BIG letters and icons for 'phone usage.
Just use themes instead
Does that work a) on the front page - to show me battery and signal
strength?; and b) in the Address Book to show me tel nos in more than 5 point
type?
b) certainly.
a) my theme makes them solid bars, I have seen themes done differently
I'll have another go! Thanks

David Kennedy
2007-07-02 06:36:48 UTC
Post by Hugh Browton
I wanted to like the N73, but it is bigger than the 6310, it has less good
reception, and much less good battery life of course, and I found the screen
difficult to read. It seems like a missed opportubity - a wonderful big
screen, and then the UI designers make me put my spectacles on to read small
colourful type on a colour screen. The contrast on the monochrome 6310 means
I can just about read it sans specs, but I had real problems reading the N73
screen, sometimes even with spectacles. I wanted to use System Preferences >>
Universal Access to give me BIG letters and icons for 'phone usage.
One of the reasons I went for the d900 was the adjustable font sizes and
background colours.

D.M. Procida
2007-07-03 19:50:06 UTC
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Is anybody else a bit nonplussed about the iPhone hype?
I mean it's a nice gadget an' all, but that's all it is, a smartphone
with a few gimmicky bits.
If the Apple TV is a Mac nano, then the iPhone is a Mac pico.

Daniele