I came, I saw, I was disappointed...
Chris Leeworthy
2006-06-26 19:22:47 UTC
I made a little trip out to MeadowHall this weekend to lay eyes on the
new macbooks. I have to admit the plastic was poised for action too.

Unfortunately When I actually got to see the macbooks I have to admit to
being more than a little disappointed, they just looked a bit...
well dull really.

The macbook pro didn't look or feel as nice as my TiBook 550, and none
of the macbooks expressed the fun of the Tonkabooks or the sensual
textures and curves of the older powerbooks (like the one in sex in the
city, a pismo or lombard?).

I can't fault the fact that the tech is light years ahead of my current
kit but none of it gave me *that* feeling I got when I bought my first
iMac and my first powerbook.

Maybe nostalgia plays a big role in this?

Now an intel duo core graphite or tangerine Tonkabook, *that* would have
me reaching for my flexible fiend ;-)
Woody
2006-06-26 19:54:37 UTC
Post by Chris Leeworthy
I made a little trip out to MeadowHall this weekend to lay eyes on the
new macbooks. I have to admit the plastic was poised for action too.
The macbook pro didn't look or feel as nice as my TiBook 550, and none
of the macbooks expressed the fun of the Tonkabooks or the sensual
textures and curves of the older powerbooks (like the one in sex in the
city, a pismo or lombard?).
Maybe nostalgia plays a big role in this?
I think it must do. To me it was just as nice as my TiBook 400 (or the
800), although much better for its blackness.
Post by Chris Leeworthy
Now an intel duo core graphite or tangerine Tonkabook, *that* would have
me reaching for my flexible fiend ;-)
.. wouldn't get a purchase from me at half the price!
--
Woody
Alienrat Design Ltd
Peter Ceresole
2006-06-26 20:11:40 UTC
Post by Chris Leeworthy
The macbook pro didn't look or feel as nice as my TiBook 550, and none
of the macbooks expressed the fun of the Tonkabooks or the sensual
textures and curves of the older powerbooks (like the one in sex in the
city, a pismo or lombard?).
I can't agree. I've only had a very short play in Peter Jones; I was
mainly looking at the display, which I was pleased to see is in
widescreen format, and the colours and contrast were gorgeous. The shine
is no drawback at all- you swap a general bloom for discrete
reflections, and I'd say the new screen was actually better to use.

I still love my 667 TiBook to bits but I can't say that for sheer
gorgeousness it beats the MacBook.
Peter
Ian McCall
2006-06-26 20:26:52 UTC
On 2006-06-26 20:22:47 +0100, Chris Leeworthy
Post by Chris Leeworthy
The macbook pro didn't look or feel as nice as my TiBook 550, and none
of the macbooks expressed the fun of the Tonkabooks or the sensual
textures and curves of the older powerbooks (like the one in sex in the
city, a pismo or lombard?).
MacBook Pro - agreed. It's another 15" Powerbook-alike laptop, not many
visible changes. No shock of the new to gain a reaction, though in use
that's quite different (assuming you get a working one).

MacBook - can't agree. Using one right now and I definitely like it.
Did you use the keyboard at all? Very impressed. I do think the nail
has been hit on the head with this one.

Cheers,
Ian
Bonge Boo!
2006-06-26 21:53:25 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
Post by Chris Leeworthy
The macbook pro didn't look or feel as nice as my TiBook 550, and none
of the macbooks expressed the fun of the Tonkabooks or the sensual
textures and curves of the older powerbooks (like the one in sex in the
city, a pismo or lombard?).
MacBook Pro - agreed. It's another 15" Powerbook-alike laptop, not many
visible changes. No shock of the new to gain a reaction, though in use
that's quite different (assuming you get a working one).
I was pretty under whelmed by it, apart from the iSight. Which is just cool.
And the magsafe.
Post by Ian McCall
MacBook - can't agree. Using one right now and I definitely like it.
Did you use the keyboard at all? Very impressed. I do think the nail
has been hit on the head with this one.
Hope they manage to keep the key paint on then. It going to be really
expensive changing the keyboard as its integrated into the entire top cover
innit?
Woody
2006-06-26 22:27:21 UTC
Post by Bonge Boo!
Post by Ian McCall
MacBook - can't agree. Using one right now and I definitely like it.
Did you use the keyboard at all? Very impressed. I do think the nail
has been hit on the head with this one.
Hope they manage to keep the key paint on then. It going to be really
expensive changing the keyboard as its integrated into the entire top cover
innit?
Sure as hell don't let sab near mine!

However, I don't think it is so bad to get the keys out - I am sure if
you take the top lid off it would just come out.
It is rather nice to type on - better than the tiBook.
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Rexx Magnus
2006-06-26 22:27:50 UTC
On 2006-06-26 20:22:47 +0100, Chris Leeworthy
Post by Chris Leeworthy
The macbook pro didn't look or feel as nice as my TiBook 550, and none
of the macbooks expressed the fun of the Tonkabooks or the sensual
textures and curves of the older powerbooks (like the one in sex in the
city, a pismo or lombard?).
MacBook Pro - agreed. It's another 15" Powerbook-alike laptop, not many
visible changes. No shock of the new to gain a reaction, though in use
that's quite different (assuming you get a working one).
MacBook - can't agree. Using one right now and I definitely like it. Did
you use the keyboard at all? Very impressed. I do think the nail has
been hit on the head with this one.
Cheers,
Ian
I must admit to being totally obsessed with the outer casing of my MBP.
Whenever I close the lid, unplug it and cart it downstairs to watch
something on the TV with it, I just love the look of the oversized
aluminium lozenge. :)
Chris Leeworthy
2006-06-27 06:57:27 UTC
Ian McCall wrote:
<snip>
Post by Ian McCall
MacBook - can't agree. Using one right now and I definitely like it. Did
you use the keyboard at all? Very impressed. I do think the nail has
been hit on the head with this one.
Cheers,
Ian
Actually the keyboard was one of the elements I especially disliked! It
reminded me of some of the not so successful home computers of the 80's.
Chris Ridd
2006-06-27 07:02:41 UTC
On 2006-06-27 07:57:27 +0100, Chris Leeworthy
Post by Chris Leeworthy
<snip>
Post by Ian McCall
MacBook - can't agree. Using one right now and I definitely like it.
Did you use the keyboard at all? Very impressed. I do think the nail
has been hit on the head with this one.
Cheers,
Ian
Actually the keyboard was one of the elements I especially disliked! It
reminded me of some of the not so successful home computers of the 80's.
Sure, but did you actually try typing on the keyboard? It actually works OK.

Cheers,

Chris
Ian McCall
2006-06-28 01:54:48 UTC
On 2006-06-27 07:57:27 +0100, Chris Leeworthy
Post by Chris Leeworthy
Actually the keyboard was one of the elements I especially disliked! It
reminded me of some of the not so successful home computers of the 80's.
Yep, it -looks- like an Atari 8-bit. Or a Z88, as several on the group
have mentioned. But it doesn't feel like that at all - it's actually a
very nice keyboard to use.

Cheers,
Ian
PGG
2006-06-28 16:15:08 UTC
Or even a Grundy Newbrain - remember those?
Jim
2006-06-28 16:21:21 UTC
Post by PGG
Post by Ian McCall
Yep, it -looks- like an Atari 8-bit. Or a Z88, as several on the group
have mentioned. But it doesn't feel like that at all - it's actually a
very nice keyboard to use.
Or even a Grundy Newbrain - remember those?
<smug look> got one. The one with the LED display.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk
JediGeeks http://www.jedigeeks.com
How monie lengthen'd, sage advices, The Husband frae the wife despises!"
Peter Ceresole
2006-06-28 22:07:44 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by PGG
Or even a Grundy Newbrain - remember those?
<smug look> got one. The one with the LED display.
Smug? Surely more like deeply ashamed... Are you in danger of becoming
the Mr Trevis of the silicon world? But yes, I remember the Newbrains.
Peter
Chris Leeworthy
2006-06-29 18:42:53 UTC
On 2006-06-27 07:57:27 +0100, Chris Leeworthy
Post by Chris Leeworthy
Actually the keyboard was one of the elements I especially disliked!
It reminded me of some of the not so successful home computers of the
80's.
Yep, it -looks- like an Atari 8-bit. Or a Z88, as several on the group
have mentioned. But it doesn't feel like that at all - it's actually a
very nice keyboard to use.
I did try it and it was OK to use though I didn't really rate it as any
better than my TiBook (or is that TiBoko?). Again I suspect it's
because I've got used to my TiBook keyboard over the years.

One thing I *did* like was the fact that the recessed keyboard doesn't
mark the screen when you close the book; thats always been a problem
with mine.

It just didn't hit me with that "WOW" factor that would make me reach
for my wallet.

To be fair to Apple they have made a rod for their own backs as far as
I'm concerned. My first mac was a graphite g3 iMac DV, then my TiBook,
and finally my current G4 iMac. I now *expect* exceptional (and even
eccentric) industrial design from Apple products.

Maybe a nice machine that sits like a flat plate on the desktop,
projecting a 3D display into the air directly above it with a several
hundred gigabyte solid state disk, instant boot, direct neural interface
(mind you with the state my brain is in maybe that's not such a good idea!)

It's one of those things; I cant describe exactly what it is I want from
my next Mac, I just know I'll recognise it when I see it :-)

I do wish they'd bring a bit of colour back into the range though...
maybe I'll have to shell out for a Bamford & Sons version of my next
machine.
Woody
2006-06-29 19:07:35 UTC
On 2006-06-27 07:57:27 +0100, Chris Leeworthy
Post by Chris Leeworthy
Actually the keyboard was one of the elements I especially disliked!
It reminded me of some of the not so successful home computers of the
80's.
Yep, it -looks- like an Atari 8-bit. Or a Z88, as several on the group
have mentioned. But it doesn't feel like that at all - it's actually a
very nice keyboard to use.
I did try it and it was OK to use though I didn't really rate it as any
better than my TiBook (or is that TiBoko?). Again I suspect it's
because I've got used to my TiBook keyboard over the years.
I have gone from a tiBook to a MacBook (in fact two, I went from a
tiBook to a faster one), so I have also got used to the keyboard over
the years. Now I have had it for a few weeks I can say that it is better
than the TIBook keyboard.
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Flavio Matani
2006-06-29 21:08:15 UTC
Post by Chris Leeworthy
I do wish they'd bring a bit of colour back into the range though...
maybe I'll have to shell out for a Bamford & Sons version of my next
machine.
It's got all the colour range it needs, white and black..... :D

</goth...>
--
flavio matani
guitar tuition
www.livejournal.com/users/flavius_m/
Keith Pritchard
2006-06-26 21:38:23 UTC
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:22:47 +0100, Chris Leeworthy
Post by Chris Leeworthy
The macbook pro didn't look or feel as nice as my TiBook 550,
yeah must admit, I preferred the general look of the TiBook to the
Aubooks and so was disappointed with the macbook pro when it came out.
Post by Chris Leeworthy
and none
of the macbooks expressed the fun of the Tonkabooks or the sensual
textures and curves of the older powerbooks (like the one in sex in the
city, a pismo or lombard?).
Welllll maybe... but I feel that although the design may not be
pushing the boundaries, it's just "right" for today. I feel good when
I see/use my macbook both design and performance wise.
Post by Chris Leeworthy
Now an intel duo core graphite or tangerine Tonkabook, *that* would have
me reaching for my flexible fiend ;-)
You couldn't pay me to take such a thing off your hands :) (well ok,
you could, but I'd ebay it for something less gross ;-)
PeterD
2006-06-28 10:14:05 UTC
Post by Keith Pritchard
yeah must admit, I preferred the general look of the TiBook to the
Aubooks and so was disappointed with the macbook pro when it came out.
Gold Powerbooks? Cooool.
Pd
Chris Leeworthy
2006-06-29 18:43:36 UTC
bit weighty though! ;-)
m***@gmail.com
2006-06-29 22:15:45 UTC
Post by Chris Leeworthy
I made a little trip out to MeadowHall this weekend to lay eyes on the
new macbooks. I have to admit the plastic was poised for action too.
Unfortunately When I actually got to see the macbooks I have to admit to
being more than a little disappointed, they just looked a bit...
well dull really.
Yes, I saw a friend's new black MacBook last week and was a little
underwhelmed. Apart from the plasticky feel the flat-top keys look and
feel like scrabble tiles. Nothing beats the Al PowerBook for looks for
my money - typing this as I am on my 12"-er.

There was a fad for a while of painting Macs - has anyone ever tried
anodising or powder-coating metal PowerBooks? How about a matt black
albook? I might go for that.

[rustle rustle] ...ah yes, been done...
http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/select_MacBookPro.aspx

macfizz.