Message from an unsubscriber.
2008-01-14 15:48:18 UTC
This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !

Goodbye all.
J.J. O'Shea
2008-01-14 16:16:54 UTC
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:48:18 -0500, Dan wrote
(in article <***@bt.com>):

> This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
> material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !
>
> Goodbye all.

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

Gary
2008-01-14 16:18:51 UTC
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:16:54 +0000, J.J. O'Shea wrote
(in article <***@newsgroups.comcast.net>):

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:48:18 -0500, Dan wrote
> (in article <***@bt.com>):
>
>> This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
>> material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !
>>
>> Goodbye all.
>
> Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

He'll have the RSPCA on him if it does.

--
remove stars for email
g*a*r*y*c*o*w*e*l*l*a*t*m*a*c*d*o*t*c*o*m
<http://tinyurl.com/398eom>
Tim Streater
2008-01-14 16:33:36 UTC

Apropos of which: read the current Eye.
Peter Ceresole
2008-01-14 16:19:15 UTC
Dan <dan> wrote:

> This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
> material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !

We've discussed this in the past, several times, and always decided
against it

> Goodbye all.

Bye bye.
Peter
Simon Dobbs
2008-01-14 18:13:18 UTC
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:48:18 +0000, Dan wrote
(in article <***@bt.com>):

> This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
> material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !
>
> Goodbye all.

in my opinion, the signal to noise ratio has improved markedly of late (note:
I haven't been making many posts!)
this is now a much better source of useful mac info than ever before.
Ekul Namsob
2008-01-14 19:53:15 UTC
Dan <dan> wrote:

> This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
> material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !
>
> Goodbye all.

Ta ra. I've just clicked on five random posts. Four of them were clearly
on-topic. One was not.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>
zoara
2008-01-14 23:38:55 UTC
Dan <dan> wrote:

> This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
> material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !

A killfile is less work than a moderator.

-z-

No 3G. Fewer megapixels than an N95. Lame.
2008-01-15 01:58:11 UTC

>>This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
>>material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !
>

> A killfile is less work than a moderator.

Probably - but it does mean every reader has to constantly refine
his/her file, and you get sucked into a competition with the poster who
obviously is changing the wording/spelling/gaps to get thru. your filters..

I just don't see how these newsgroups can continue, riddled with
paranoia and homophobia.

D.
J.J. O'Shea
2008-01-15 02:04:26 UTC
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 20:58:11 -0500, Dan wrote
(in article <***@bt.com>):

>>> This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
>>> material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !
>>

>> A killfile is less work than a moderator.
>>

> Probably - but it does mean every reader has to constantly refine
> his/her file, and you get sucked into a competition with the poster who
> obviously is changing the wording/spelling/gaps to get thru. your filters..
>
> I just don't see how these newsgroups can continue, riddled with
> paranoia and homophobia.
>
> D.

I haven't seen a post from CH or any of his gay band in months. There are
certain headers which they all use... and which no-one else does.

Elliott Roper
2008-01-15 02:41:18 UTC
In article <***@bt.com>, Dan wrote:

> >>This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
> >>material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !
> >

> > A killfile is less work than a moderator.
> >

> Probably - but it does mean every reader has to constantly refine
> his/her file, and you get sucked into a competition with the poster who
> obviously is changing the wording/spelling/gaps to get thru. your filters..
>
> I just don't see how these newsgroups can continue, riddled with
> paranoia and homophobia.

Look on the bright side. Think how much regular expression coding
experience you gain keeping one step in front of the MI5 persecution
sadness.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
Pd
2008-01-15 10:31:16 UTC
Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:

> Think how much regular expression coding experience you gain keeping one
> step in front of the MI5 persecution sadness.

Really? Are we getting that here? Obviously my killfiles are effective -
I never see any of that, or the sad wee boy and his sock puppets.

In fact the only stuff I see that is irrelevant is the shoes, handbags
and watches spam.

Pd
Norbert Lieckfeldt
2008-01-15 10:41:39 UTC
***@gmail.invalid (Pd) wrote in news:1iar6fs.ka3sje13zokrkN%
***@gmail.invalid:

> Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Think how much regular expression coding experience you gain keeping one
>> step in front of the MI5 persecution sadness.
>
> Really? Are we getting that here? Obviously my killfiles are effective -
> I never see any of that, or the sad wee boy and his sock puppets.
>
> In fact the only stuff I see that is irrelevant is the shoes, handbags
> and watches spam.

Ditto. Not sure if it's my cleverness in setting up filters or the German
server.

Had to look something up on Google News the other day and was stunned about
all the MI5 stuff I never knew was there ...

N.
Jim
2008-01-15 10:45:46 UTC
On 2008-01-15, Norbert Lieckfeldt <***@stammering.org> wrote:

> Ditto. Not sure if it's my cleverness in setting up filters or the German
> server.

I don't think it's the German server as I saw it in some of the astronomy
groups recently.

He [the MI5 dude] really is a rather messed up guy.

Jim
--
http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk

"The Sierpinski Gasket makes me want to cry."
- Jonathon Coulton, "Mandelbrot Set"
Pd
2008-01-15 10:47:51 UTC
Jim <***@magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> On 2008-01-15, Norbert Lieckfeldt <***@stammering.org> wrote:
> >
> > Ditto. Not sure if it's my cleverness in setting up filters or the German
> > server.
>
> I don't think it's the German server as I saw it in some of the astronomy
> groups recently.

That's why I was surprised to see it mentioned - it hasn't infected ucsm
at all, has it?

Pd
Roger Merriman
2008-01-15 12:49:39 UTC
Pd <***@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> Jim <***@magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2008-01-15, Norbert Lieckfeldt <***@stammering.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ditto. Not sure if it's my cleverness in setting up filters or the German
> > > server.
> >
> > I don't think it's the German server as I saw it in some of the astronomy
> > groups recently.
>
> That's why I was surprised to see it mentioned - it hasn't infected ucsm
> at all, has it?

no at least not for ages if at all. i only kill threads.

roger
www.rogermerriman.com
DBSnappa
2008-01-15 12:10:28 UTC
Norbert Lieckfeldt wrote:
> ***@gmail.invalid (Pd) wrote in news:1iar6fs.ka3sje13zokrkN%
> ***@gmail.invalid:
>
>> Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Think how much regular expression coding experience you gain keeping one
>>> step in front of the MI5 persecution sadness.
>> Really? Are we getting that here? Obviously my killfiles are effective -
>> I never see any of that, or the sad wee boy and his sock puppets.
>>
>> In fact the only stuff I see that is irrelevant is the shoes, handbags
>> and watches spam.
>>

> Ditto. Not sure if it's my cleverness in setting up filters or the German
> server.
>
> Had to look something up on Google News the other day and was stunned about
> all the MI5 stuff I never knew was there ...

Yes, the German servers are pretty good, and I have about three or four
Alf Garnet's in my killfile. That gets rid of most of the nonsense.
Huge
2008-01-15 10:34:01 UTC
On 2008-01-15, Pd <***@gmail.invalid> wrote:
> Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Think how much regular expression coding experience you gain keeping one
>> step in front of the MI5 persecution sadness.
>
> Really? Are we getting that here? Obviously my killfiles are effective -
> I never see any of that, or the sad wee boy and his sock puppets.

Some ISPs are starting to filter his stuff out. And after the last big spam run,
even Altopia have pulled his account.

[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]
Jim
2008-01-15 11:03:45 UTC
On 2008-01-15, Huge <***@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:

>>> Think how much regular expression coding experience you gain keeping one
>>> step in front of the MI5 persecution sadness.
>>
>> Really? Are we getting that here? Obviously my killfiles are effective -
>> I never see any of that, or the sad wee boy and his sock puppets.
>
> Some ISPs are starting to filter his stuff out. And after the last big spam run,
> even Altopia have pulled his account.

Good grief.

Jim

Warren Oates
2008-01-15 12:45:45 UTC
In article <fmi26p$2ml$***@anubis.demon.co.uk>,
Huge <***@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:

> Some ISPs are starting to filter his stuff out. And after the last big spam
> run,
> even Altopia have pulled his account.

Also, we've finally convinced MI6 to get involved; he will shortly be a
"missing person."
W. Oates
Elliott Roper
2008-01-15 13:02:38 UTC
<***@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:

> On 2008-01-15, Pd <***@gmail.invalid> wrote:
> > Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Think how much regular expression coding experience you gain keeping one
> >> step in front of the MI5 persecution sadness.
> >
> > Really? Are we getting that here? Obviously my killfiles are effective -
> > I never see any of that, or the sad wee boy and his sock puppets.
Yep. My ISP (zen bless 'em) does not seem to filter their news at all.
Which is just about perfect. It is *not* an ISP's job to censor the
net.
It is not anybody's job till it reaches the minors for whom you are
personally responsible, and then it is yours alone. There is already
too much brainless nannying going on.
It is going to get worse.
> Some ISPs are starting to filter his stuff out. And after the last big spam
> run,
> even Altopia have pulled his account.
Pulling an account is sometimes justified I guess. I'll need to think
about that. I think I'd prefer a robust and fair libel law regime, much
as I dislike frivolous litigation.

Huge
2008-01-15 15:36:07 UTC
On 2008-01-15, Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <fmi26p$2ml$***@anubis.demon.co.uk>, Huge
><***@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:

>> > Really? Are we getting that here? Obviously my killfiles are effective -
>> > I never see any of that, or the sad wee boy and his sock puppets.
> Yep. My ISP (zen bless 'em) does not seem to filter their news at all.
> Which is just about perfect. It is *not* an ISP's job to censor the
> net.

Offloading the disposal of noxious waste onto a third party is not "censorship".

> It is not anybody's job till it reaches the minors for whom you are
> personally responsible, and then it is yours alone.

You do dispose of your own sewage?

> There is already
> too much brainless nannying going on.
> It is going to get worse.
>> Some ISPs are starting to filter his stuff out. And after the last big spam
>> run,
>> even Altopia have pulled his account.
> Pulling an account is sometimes justified I guess. I'll need to think
> about that. I think I'd prefer a robust and fair libel law regime, much
> as I dislike frivolous litigation.

Mike is impervious to reason, up to and including legal action.

[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]
Elliott Roper
2008-01-15 16:42:50 UTC
In article <fmijt7$7aq$***@anubis.demon.co.uk>, Huge
<***@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:

> On 2008-01-15, Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <fmi26p$2ml$***@anubis.demon.co.uk>, Huge
> ><***@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:

> > Yep. My ISP (zen bless 'em) does not seem to filter their news at all.
> > Which is just about perfect. It is *not* an ISP's job to censor the
> > net.
>
> Offloading the disposal of noxious waste onto a third party is not
> "censorship".
Defining 'deletion of written material' as 'disposal of noxious waste'
is not advancing any kind of rational argument about censorship is it?

I'd rather not have to deal with a supplier's unilateral decision to
restrict what I may read on the net.
I'd probably do so by changing supplier.

> > It is not anybody's job till it reaches the minors for whom you are
> > personally responsible, and then it is yours alone.
>
> You do dispose of your own sewage?
Yes. I have my own treatment plant and reed bed system on site.
Whatever difference *that* makes to a discussion on censorship.

Although it does help illustrate your rather childish debating style.

> > There is already
> > too much brainless nannying going on.
> > It is going to get worse.
> >> Some ISPs are starting to filter his stuff out. And after the last big spam
> >> run,
> >> even Altopia have pulled his account.
> > Pulling an account is sometimes justified I guess. I'll need to think
> > about that. I think I'd prefer a robust and fair libel law regime, much
> > as I dislike frivolous litigation.
>
> Mike is impervious to reason, up to and including legal action.
He is in good company with you on the first count.
You are in no danger from my attack lawyers on the second.
I'd much rather put up with you on ucsm than pay a lawyer to constrain
your utterances.
Even "Mike" ‹ I presume he is the MI5 persecution person ‹ is an
educational read in a "watching a train wreck" kind of way.
I prefer to have an option to see his stuff to not having the option.

Huge
2008-01-16 07:46:36 UTC
On 2008-01-15, Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <fmijt7$7aq$***@anubis.demon.co.uk>, Huge
><***@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:

> Although it does help illustrate your rather childish debating style.

> He is in good company with you on the first count.

How amusing. Immediate resort to 'ad hominem'. I don't read the rantings of
hypocrites.

*plonk*

[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]
Woody
2008-01-16 18:44:17 UTC
Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <fmi26p$2ml$***@anubis.demon.co.uk>, Huge
> <***@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:

> > > Really? Are we getting that here? Obviously my killfiles are effective -
> > > I never see any of that, or the sad wee boy and his sock puppets.
> Yep. My ISP (zen bless 'em) does not seem to filter their news at all.
> Which is just about perfect. It is *not* an ISP's job to censor the
> net.

It is if that is what you pay for.

> It is not anybody's job till it reaches the minors for whom you are
> personally responsible, and then it is yours alone. There is already
> too much brainless nannying going on.

If you want filtering, why shouldn't you be allowed to have it?
I got the german server to get rid of a large amount of the crap, and it
worked.

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Elliott Roper
2008-01-16 19:08:42 UTC
In article <1iatnva.17l9x1yxujdapN%***@alienrat.co.uk>, Woody
<***@alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
<snip>
> If you want filtering, why shouldn't you be allowed to have it?
> I got the german server to get rid of a large amount of the crap, and it
> worked.
Is it offered as an option, or as a take-it-with-the-service or lump it?
Do they tell you so up front?

Woody
2008-01-16 19:37:19 UTC
Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <1iatnva.17l9x1yxujdapN%***@alienrat.co.uk>, Woody
> <***@alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
> <snip>
> > If you want filtering, why shouldn't you be allowed to have it?
> > I got the german server to get rid of a large amount of the crap, and it
> > worked.
> Is it offered as an option, or as a take-it-with-the-service or lump it?

It is a take-it-with-the-service thing. there is no option without it.

> Do they tell you so up front?

it is in the FAQ, so yes.

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Elliott Roper
2008-01-16 19:40:24 UTC
In article <1iatq9j.gp857ccc8whjN%***@alienrat.co.uk>, Woody
<***@alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:

> > Is it offered as an option, or as a take-it-with-the-service or lump it?
>
> It is a take-it-with-the-service thing. there is no option without it.
>
> > Do they tell you so up front?
>
> it is in the FAQ, so yes.
Well, That's all right then.

David Kennedy
2008-01-15 11:50:02 UTC
On 15/1/08 10:31, Pd wrote:
> Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Think how much regular expression coding experience you gain keeping one
>> step in front of the MI5 persecution sadness.
>
> Really? Are we getting that here? Obviously my killfiles are effective -
> I never see any of that, or the sad wee boy and his sock puppets.
>
> In fact the only stuff I see that is irrelevant is the shoes, handbags
> and watches spam.

Amazing how that always seems to get through...

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
Peter Ceresole
2008-01-15 12:02:53 UTC
Pd <***@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> > Think how much regular expression coding experience you gain keeping one
> > step in front of the MI5 persecution sadness.
>
> Really? Are we getting that here?

Not really, no. I saw a bit recently on a Mac group, but I forget which
one. The Mac Eudora one perhaps? But maybe the German server has got his
number?

> In fact the only stuff I see that is irrelevant is the shoes, handbags
> and watches spam.

Some of that, yes. Pretty easily squashed from list view. Apart from the
pathetic trolls, there's nothing much amiss here.
Peter
Woody
2008-01-15 18:26:46 UTC
Peter Ceresole <***@cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Pd <***@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>
> > > Think how much regular expression coding experience you gain keeping one
> > > step in front of the MI5 persecution sadness.
> >
> > Really? Are we getting that here?
>
> Not really, no. I saw a bit recently on a Mac group, but I forget which
> one. The Mac Eudora one perhaps? But maybe the German server has got his
> number?

It has. Have a look on google some time for a laugh - it looks a lot
worse out there.
I don't know if it was on this group, but on a guitar group I looked and
there were 10s to 100s of that MI5 stuff. The only stuff that I saw was
the things people replied to.

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Woody
2008-01-15 18:26:46 UTC
Pd <***@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> Elliott Roper <***@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Think how much regular expression coding experience you gain keeping one
> > step in front of the MI5 persecution sadness.
>
> Really? Are we getting that here? Obviously my killfiles are effective -
> I never see any of that, or the sad wee boy and his sock puppets.

It is filtered on the german server. They were going on about it in
another group, and didn't realise how bad it was until I looked on
google.
Makes the €10/year seem pretty good value.

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
David Kennedy
2008-01-15 07:31:02 UTC
On 15/1/08 01:58, Dan wrote:

>>> This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
>>> material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !
>>

>> A killfile is less work than a moderator.
>>

> Probably - but it does mean every reader has to constantly refine
> his/her file, and you get sucked into a competition with the poster who
> obviously is changing the wording/spelling/gaps to get thru. your filters..
>
> I just don't see how these newsgroups can continue, riddled with
> paranoia and homophobia.
>
> D.

I thought you'd gone???

+.com (A.Lee)
2008-01-15 08:23:21 UTC
Dan <dan> wrote:

> >>This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
> >>material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !

> I just don't see how these newsgroups can continue, riddled with
> paranoia and homophobia.

I've been thinking the same over the last few weeks. Maybe we (not just
this group) are just going through a bad spell at the moment, but there
does seem to be even more trolling, and general 'back-biting' posts than
ever before.
There are at least 2 groups that I was an avid reader and writer, but I
rarely read, let alone post, to those any more , as they have just gone
either very political/advocacy, or so full of general idiots, that any
reasoned response is jumped on as totally wrong. One poster, who I
thought must be a teenager, turns out to be retired (or claims to be
retired).

Others, such as the idiot on this group, are easily kill-filed, but then
follow-ups start showing.
Google groups is a bad thing IMO, as it allows use by anonymous users
with ease.
I'm getting old.
Alan.
David Kennedy
2008-01-15 09:29:23 UTC
On 15/1/08 08:23, A.Lee wrote:

> Others, such as the idiot on this group, are easily kill-filed, but then
> follow-ups start showing.

Set the filter to kill the thread as well as the poster.

> Google groups is a bad thing IMO, as it allows use by anonymous users
> with ease.

True. Google seems more concerned with Google than any other factor.

> I'm getting old.
> Alan.

Aren't we all?

Peter Ceresole
2008-01-15 09:39:26 UTC
A.Lee <***@darkroom.+.com> wrote:

> Others, such as the idiot on this group, are easily kill-filed, but then
> follow-ups start showing.

This is, of course, nothing new on Usenet. And sadly, I think it's
useful to be reminded of how stupid, and also how completely repulsive,
some human beings can be.

Using MacSOUP I have little trouble in avoiding these people- not using
kill files, but just eye, brain and list view.
Peter
Pd
2008-01-15 10:42:16 UTC
Peter Ceresole <***@cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> And sadly, I think it's useful to be reminded of how stupid, and also how
> completely repulsive, some human beings can be.

Every time I bother to read comments on BBC news stories, I am reminded
of how stupid, self-centred, illiterate and obnoxious people can be.

Just this morning I was reading responses to the EU's latest
investigation into Microsoft's monopolist abuses - the vast majority had
no understanding of the issues, an opinion they read on the toilet wall,
and no ability to express it coherently. And these are people
intelligent enough to use a computer to read the BBC news.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/01/bill_v_brusselsround_two.
html>

We're doomed.

Pd
Jim
2008-01-15 10:48:39 UTC
On 2008-01-15, Pd <***@gmail.invalid> wrote:
> Peter Ceresole <***@cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> And sadly, I think it's useful to be reminded of how stupid, and also how
>> completely repulsive, some human beings can be.
>
> Every time I bother to read comments on BBC news stories, I am reminded
> of how stupid, self-centred, illiterate and obnoxious people can be.
>
> Just this morning I was reading responses to the EU's latest
> investigation into Microsoft's monopolist abuses - the vast majority had
> no understanding of the issues, an opinion they read on the toilet wall,
> and no ability to express it coherently. And these are people
> intelligent enough to use a computer to read the BBC news.
><http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/01/bill_v_brusselsround_two.
> html>

Heh - I like this from the actual article: 'Microsoft has released a bland
statement promising to cooperate fully with the investigation. When I
reached a senior executive who.s had a lengthy involvement with the
regulatory battle he sounded weary.
.We.ve been in this for the past nine years,. he said. .We.d rather just
focus on making good software..'

I wonder when they're going to start?

Jim

Pd
2008-01-15 11:58:00 UTC
Jim <***@magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> .We.ve been in this for the past nine years,. he said. .We.d rather just
> focus on making good software..'

Why are your apostrophes often, but not always, replaced with full
stops?

Pd
Jim
2008-01-15 12:01:23 UTC
On 2008-01-15, Pd <***@gmail.invalid> wrote:
> Jim <***@magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> .We.ve been in this for the past nine years,. he said. .We.d rather just
>> focus on making good software..'
>
> Why are your apostrophes often, but not always, replaced with full
> stops?

Straight cut'n'paste from Safari (XP) into an slrn session over ssh. I guess it
didn't like the quotes.

Jim

Ian Robinson
2008-01-15 13:02:33 UTC
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 02:48:39 -0800, Jim wrote
(in article <***@wotan.magrathea.local>):

> I wonder when they're going to start?

Some of there stuff is good.

Ian
--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK
<http://www.canicula.com/wp/>
Jim
2008-01-15 13:05:27 UTC
On 2008-01-15, Ian Robinson <***@canicula.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 02:48:39 -0800, Jim wrote
> (in article <***@wotan.magrathea.local>):
>
>> I wonder when they're going to start?
>
> Some of there stuff is good.

But the vast majority is 'good enough'. Barely.

Jim

Elliott Roper
2008-01-15 13:06:24 UTC
In article <***@news.gradwell.net>, Ian
Robinson <***@canicula.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 02:48:39 -0800, Jim wrote
> (in article <***@wotan.magrathea.local>):
>
> > I wonder when they're going to start?
>
> Some of there stuff is good.

But their grammar checker is rubbish!

Ian Robinson
2008-01-15 13:29:23 UTC
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 05:06:24 -0800, Elliott Roper wrote
(in article <150120081306247751%***@yrl.co.uk>):

>> Some of there stuff is good.
>
> But their grammar checker is rubbish!

I'm not using a Microsoft tool for Usenet so that's irrelevant. Put
that one down to it being 0440ish in the morning.

Just off to stand in line for the keynote...

Ian
--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK
<http://www.canicula.com/wp/>
Jim
2008-01-15 13:32:02 UTC
On 2008-01-15, Ian Robinson <***@canicula.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 05:06:24 -0800, Elliott Roper wrote
> (in article <150120081306247751%***@yrl.co.uk>):
>
>>> Some of there stuff is good.
>>
>> But their grammar checker is rubbish!
>
> I'm not using a Microsoft tool for Usenet so that's irrelevant. Put
> that one down to it being 0440ish in the morning.
>
> Just off to stand in line for the keynote...

Aaaah! Yes, I'd forgotten that you're over there.

Have a good time.

Jim

Ian McCall
2008-01-15 09:46:55 UTC
On 2008-01-15 08:23:21 +0000, ***@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) said:

> There are at least 2 groups that I was an avid reader and writer, but I
> rarely read, let alone post, to those any more , as they have just gone
> either very political/advocacy, or so full of general idiots, that any
> reasoned response is jumped on as totally wrong. One poster, who I
> thought must be a teenager, turns out to be retired (or claims to be
> retired).

Try comp.sys.cbm sometime. Unbelievable, and let's face it any
participant of a Commodore group is likely to be at least mid-thirties.
At least.

Cheers,
Ian
Jim
2008-01-15 09:54:26 UTC
On 2008-01-15, Ian McCall <***@eruvia.org> wrote:
> On 2008-01-15 08:23:21 +0000, ***@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) said:
>
>> There are at least 2 groups that I was an avid reader and writer, but I
>> rarely read, let alone post, to those any more , as they have just gone
>> either very political/advocacy, or so full of general idiots, that any
>> reasoned response is jumped on as totally wrong. One poster, who I
>> thought must be a teenager, turns out to be retired (or claims to be
>> retired).
>

> Try comp.sys.cbm sometime. Unbelievable, and let's face it any
> participant of a Commodore group is likely to be at least mid-thirties.
> At least.

Probably a tad older. I remember the VIC-20 and CBM64 coming out during my
early-to-mid teens, and I'll be 41 this year.

Computer advocacy is just weird.

Jim

Roger Merriman
2008-01-15 12:49:39 UTC
Jim <***@magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> On 2008-01-15, Ian McCall <***@eruvia.org> wrote:
> > On 2008-01-15 08:23:21 +0000, ***@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) said:
> >
> >> There are at least 2 groups that I was an avid reader and writer, but I
> >> rarely read, let alone post, to those any more , as they have just gone
> >> either very political/advocacy, or so full of general idiots, that any
> >> reasoned response is jumped on as totally wrong. One poster, who I
> >> thought must be a teenager, turns out to be retired (or claims to be
> >> retired).
> >

> > Try comp.sys.cbm sometime. Unbelievable, and let's face it any
> > participant of a Commodore group is likely to be at least mid-thirties.
> > At least.
>
> Probably a tad older. I remember the VIC-20 and CBM64 coming out during my
> early-to-mid teens, and I'll be 41 this year.

i'll be 33 this years my early home computors where C64/128.

> Computer advocacy is just weird.

well yes.

> Jim

roger
www.rogermerriman.com
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2008-01-15 10:01:21 UTC
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:46:55 +0000, Ian McCall <***@eruvia.org> wrote:

>On 2008-01-15 08:23:21 +0000, ***@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) said:
>
>> There are at least 2 groups that I was an avid reader and writer, but I
>> rarely read, let alone post, to those any more , as they have just gone
>> either very political/advocacy, or so full of general idiots, that any
>> reasoned response is jumped on as totally wrong. One poster, who I
>> thought must be a teenager, turns out to be retired (or claims to be
>> retired).
>

>Try comp.sys.cbm sometime. Unbelievable, and let's face it any
>participant of a Commodore group is likely to be at least mid-thirties.
>At least.

Yeah, but it's primarily a male American computer group. Those never
go well.

I used to follow alt.folklore.computers, which is mostly full of 50+
folks, but even that got too full of willywaving idiots. And I'm
frankly frightened by the playstation and xbox groups.

Mixed-sex groups still tend to work out better, rather like real life.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I did not attend his funeral, but I wrote a nice letter saying
I approved of it." - Mark Twain
Bella Jones
2008-01-15 14:50:51 UTC
Jaimie Vandenbergh <***@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:46:55 +0000, Ian McCall <***@eruvia.org> wrote:
>
> >On 2008-01-15 08:23:21 +0000, ***@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) said:
[...]
> I used to follow alt.folklore.computers, which is mostly full of 50+
> folks, but even that got too full of willywaving idiots. And I'm
> frankly frightened by the playstation and xbox groups.
>
> Mixed-sex groups still tend to work out better, rather like real life.

Bums - I've been letting the side down. Psychotically busy here,
firefighting. Oh look at my lovely big hemlet. No, hold on, that's
wrong on so many levels.

Promise to post more soon. heh.

bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
Jim
2008-01-15 14:55:50 UTC
On 2008-01-15, Bella Jones <***@privacy.net> wrote:
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <***@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:46:55 +0000, Ian McCall <***@eruvia.org> wrote:
>>
>> >On 2008-01-15 08:23:21 +0000, ***@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) said:
> [...]
>>
>> I used to follow alt.folklore.computers, which is mostly full of 50+
>> folks, but even that got too full of willywaving idiots. And I'm
>> frankly frightened by the playstation and xbox groups.
>>
>> Mixed-sex groups still tend to work out better, rather like real life.
>
> Bums - I've been letting the side down. Psychotically busy here,
> firefighting. Oh look at my lovely big hemlet. No, hold on, that's
> wrong on so many levels.

Is it shiny?

Jim

Pd
2008-01-15 15:01:53 UTC
Bella Jones <***@privacy.net> wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <***@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> > Mixed-sex groups still tend to work out better, rather like real life.

> Bums - I've been letting the side down.

What, not having much mixed sex recently?

> Psychotically busy here, firefighting. Oh look at my lovely big hemlet.
> No, hold on, that's wrong on so many levels.

Okay, I'm holding on to your lovely big hemlet. Whatever that may be.

Pd
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2008-01-15 15:13:33 UTC
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:01:53 +0000, ***@gmail.invalid (Pd)
wrote:

>Bella Jones <***@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Jaimie Vandenbergh <***@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> > Mixed-sex groups still tend to work out better, rather like real life.
>
>> Bums - I've been letting the side down.

Here is a bit of an aberration in that sense, 95% male but still
mostly sane.

>What, not having much mixed sex recently?
>
>> Psychotically busy here, firefighting. Oh look at my lovely big hemlet.
>> No, hold on, that's wrong on so many levels.
>
>Okay, I'm holding on to your lovely big hemlet. Whatever that may be.

You could polish it while you're waiting. Passes the time.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
'Rings! Rings! Wherever they may be
I am the Lord of the Rings,' said he
And I'll bind them all in the dark,' said he -- Kevin Ahearn
Sara Kirk
2008-01-15 19:05:25 UTC
In article <1iarc80.d8otgs5p0ohgN%***@privacy.net>,
***@privacy.net (Bella Jones) wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <***@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:46:55 +0000, Ian McCall <***@eruvia.org> wrote:
> >
> > >On 2008-01-15 08:23:21 +0000, ***@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) said:
> [...]
> >
> > I used to follow alt.folklore.computers, which is mostly full of 50+
> > folks, but even that got too full of willywaving idiots. And I'm
> > frankly frightened by the playstation and xbox groups.
> >
> > Mixed-sex groups still tend to work out better, rather like real life.
>
> Bums - I've been letting the side down. Psychotically busy here,
> firefighting. Oh look at my lovely big hemlet. No, hold on, that's
> wrong on so many levels.
>
> Promise to post more soon. heh.

Ahem... sorry for the delay have had the vomits:

There was a young lady called Bella
With a helmet as big as a fella
She wrote day and night
And set things alight
'Til the firemen had to repel 'er

--
Sara

The teeth are free at last! Fly free, young teethies!
Jim
2008-01-15 19:08:51 UTC
Sara Kirk <***@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > Bums - I've been letting the side down. Psychotically busy here,
> > firefighting. Oh look at my lovely big hemlet. No, hold on, that's
> > wrong on so many levels.
> >
> > Promise to post more soon. heh.
>
> Ahem... sorry for the delay have had the vomits:

Oh, hell. Not good.

> There was a young lady called Bella
> With a helmet as big as a fella
> She wrote day and night
> And set things alight
> 'Til the firemen had to repel 'er

You just _won't_ let her forget the Candle Incident, will you?

Jim
--
"I need a dry run with the custard." - SWMBO.

Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk
Peter Ceresole
2008-01-15 19:44:10 UTC
Jim <***@magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> You just _won't_ let her forget the Candle Incident, will you?

Impossible. I've read her book, and it's in there too.
Peter
Sara Kirk
2008-01-15 19:56:34 UTC
In article <1iarvoy.1vj0ynx5hsp4qN%***@cara.demon.co.uk>,
***@cara.demon.co.uk (Peter Ceresole) wrote:

> Jim <***@magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > You just _won't_ let her forget the Candle Incident, will you?
>
> Impossible. I've read her book, and it's in there too.

Well, it would be, wouldn't it?

Peter Ceresole
2008-01-15 20:11:41 UTC
Sara Kirk <***@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > > You just _won't_ let her forget the Candle Incident, will you?
> >
> > Impossible. I've read her book, and it's in there too.
>
> Well, it would be, wouldn't it?

But now it's out in the Amazonian wild. So to speak.
Peter
Sara Kirk
2008-01-15 19:55:17 UTC
In article <1iaruhx.baniua162t8jaN%***@magrathea.plus.com>,
***@magrathea.plus.com (Jim) wrote:

> Sara Kirk <***@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Bums - I've been letting the side down. Psychotically busy here,
> > > firefighting. Oh look at my lovely big hemlet. No, hold on, that's
> > > wrong on so many levels.
> > >
> > > Promise to post more soon. heh.
> >
> > Ahem... sorry for the delay have had the vomits:
>
> Oh, hell. Not good.

Not even close to good! Well on the mend now though.

> > There was a young lady called Bella
> > With a helmet as big as a fella
> > She wrote day and night
> > And set things alight
> > 'Til the firemen had to repel 'er
>
> You just _won't_ let her forget the Candle Incident, will you?

Never!

Pd
2008-01-15 19:39:15 UTC
Sara Kirk <***@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Ahem... sorry for the delay have had the vomits:

Is that the infamous norovirus that has apparently affected 4 million
people in the UK?

Pd
Sara Kirk
2008-01-15 19:54:14 UTC
In article <1iarvwk.1qnq4xqfu7z20N%***@gmail.invalid>,
***@gmail.invalid (Pd) wrote:

> Sara Kirk <***@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Ahem... sorry for the delay have had the vomits:
>
> Is that the infamous norovirus that has apparently affected 4 million
> people in the UK?

Dunno - probably not, from what I've heard I wasn't vomiting quite
enough. Still bloody uncomfortable though.

Bella Jones
2008-01-15 20:45:02 UTC
Sara Kirk <***@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <1iarc80.d8otgs5p0ohgN%***@privacy.net>,
> ***@privacy.net (Bella Jones) wrote:
>
> > Jaimie Vandenbergh <***@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
[...]
> > > Mixed-sex groups still tend to work out better, rather like real life.
> >
> > Bums - I've been letting the side down. Psychotically busy here,
> > firefighting. Oh look at my lovely big hemlet. No, hold on, that's
> > wrong on so many levels.
> >
> > Promise to post more soon. heh.
>
> Ahem... sorry for the delay have had the vomits:

Ugh! Hope they go away soon.

> There was a young lady called Bella
> With a helmet as big as a fella
> She wrote day and night
> And set things alight
> 'Til the firemen had to repel 'er

oh you divine handmaid of satan! :-D

bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
jim
2008-01-15 20:51:02 UTC
Bella Jones <***@privacy.net> wrote:

> > There was a young lady called Bella
> > With a helmet as big as a fella
> > She wrote day and night
> > And set things alight
> > 'Til the firemen had to repel 'er
>
> oh you divine handmaid of satan! :-D

You know I'm almost certain that that's blasphemous on multiple levels.

Well done.

Jim

Bella Jones
2008-01-15 21:11:10 UTC
jim <***@magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Bella Jones <***@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > > There was a young lady called Bella
> > > With a helmet as big as a fella
> > > She wrote day and night
> > > And set things alight
> > > 'Til the firemen had to repel 'er
> >
> > oh you divine handmaid of satan! :-D
>
> You know I'm almost certain that that's blasphemous on multiple levels.
>
> Well done.

I've been channelling the Crochety Bannock of Pitlochry.

bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
Jim
2008-01-16 07:03:12 UTC

> > > oh you divine handmaid of satan! :-D
> >
> > You know I'm almost certain that that's blasphemous on multiple levels.
> >
> > Well done.
>
> I've been channelling the Crochety Bannock of Pitlochry.

And a fine channelling it is too.

Jim

J. J. Lodder
2008-01-15 11:31:50 UTC
Dan <dan> wrote:

> >>This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
> >>material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !
> >

> > A killfile is less work than a moderator.
> >

> Probably - but it does mean every reader has to constantly refine
> his/her file, and you get sucked into a competition with the poster who
> obviously is changing the wording/spelling/gaps to get thru. your filters..

Not in MacSoup.
Just hit - for every posting you don't like,
and MacSoup will automagically rid you of all followup.

Jan
deKay
2008-01-15 10:36:12 UTC
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 14 Jan
2008 15:48:18 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.comp.sys.mac,
yawatina tan reek esk Dan <dan> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>This used to be a useful source of Mac info. But now too much off-topic
>material to wade thru. GET A MODERATOR !
>
>Goodbye all.

Of the 134 unread messages I see here this morning, only yours is off-topic.
Oh, the ironing!

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog
2008-01-15 17:17:19 UTC

> Of the 134 unread messages I see here this morning, only yours is off-topic.
> Oh, the ironing!

Accepted - and agreed. But it has resulted in my getting a few ideas
about message filtering, so it has served a purpose in some ways.

Remember there are always people subscribing to a newsgroup for the
first time, and thus have no active filtering - just consider what
impression it makes for that person to see e.g 30+ lines of OT weirdness ?

I have looked in here for several years, initially daily, but since the
OT problem started I hardly ever look now. I used to subscribe to 12+
groups, but now to only 3 - I go for moderated user fora by choice
whenever possible.

D.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2008-01-15 18:12:54 UTC
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:17:19 +0000, Dan <dan> wrote:

>> Of the 134 unread messages I see here this morning, only yours is off-topic.
>> Oh, the ironing!
>
>Accepted - and agreed. But it has resulted in my getting a few ideas
>about message filtering, so it has served a purpose in some ways.
>
>Remember there are always people subscribing to a newsgroup for the
>first time, and thus have no active filtering - just consider what
>impression it makes for that person to see e.g 30+ lines of OT weirdness ?

Out of a couple of hundred messages a day? Not so bad. It's saner than
your average BBC news comments thread.

>I have looked in here for several years, initially daily, but since the
>OT problem started I hardly ever look now. I used to subscribe to 12+
>groups, but now to only 3 - I go for moderated user fora by choice
>whenever possible.

Depends what you're comfortable with. I dislike ever single web forum
software I've ever met, although the homebrew they use over at b3ta is
pretty good. Moderated web-fora are too susceptible to retroactive
censorship - see the Apple forums for example.

With Usenet you can manage your own killfiles and ignore threads
completely. It means a learning curve when you join a group, but if
you read for a week or so before jumping in it's hard to make an arse
of yourself.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Note that despite substantial evidence to the contrary, it is in fact possible
to delete files copied to the desktop, and you don't need to throw away the
computer and get a new one once the desktop is full. -- Peter Corlett, ASR
Dave U.Random
2008-01-16 03:28:22 UTC
Little Jim farted:

>>> Really? Are we getting that here? Obviously my killfiles are effective -
>>> I never see any of that, or the sad wee boy and his sock puppets.
>>
>> Some ISPs are starting to filter his stuff out. And after the last big spam run,
>> even Altopia have pulled his account.
>>

> Good grief.
>
> Jim

Fuck you little Jim. Having a good macsturbation session with your little
buddies?
.