Anyone got Pan newsreader working with Panther?
Geoff Roynon
2004-04-11 20:08:10 UTC
I decided to install Pan as a way of learning a bit of Unix and
Fink/X11. I have installed Fink 0.7.0, X11 1.0 (XFree86 4.3.0), and Pan
14.2-14.

When I run Pan through the X11 xterm window, it displays a window with a
load of empty input boxes but no text - I am assuming this is a setup
window asking for information about my system and network, but I have no
idea what to enter.
The console log shows the following:

Screen 0 added: 1152x870 @ (0,0)
bash: no job control in this shell
(Null) - No builtin or dynamically loaded modules
were found. Pango will not work correctly. This probably means
there was an error in the creation of:

'/sw/etc/pango/pango.modules'

You may be able to recreate this file by running pango-querymodules.

I am running MacOSX 10.3.3 on a G4/450.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Geoff
--
Geoff Roynon reply to: Geoff<at>Roynon.demon.co.uk
Isle of Dogs
London, UK
Steve Hodgson
2004-04-11 20:49:54 UTC
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:08:10 +0100, Geoff Roynon
Post by Geoff Roynon
I decided to install Pan as a way of learning a bit of Unix and
Fink/X11. I have installed Fink 0.7.0, X11 1.0 (XFree86 4.3.0), and Pan
14.2-14.
When I run Pan through the X11 xterm window, it displays a window with a
load of empty input boxes but no text - I am assuming this is a setup
window asking for information about my system and network, but I have no
idea what to enter.
bash: no job control in this shell
(Null) - No builtin or dynamically loaded modules
were found. Pango will not work correctly. This probably means
'/sw/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You may be able to recreate this file by running pango-querymodules.
I am running MacOSX 10.3.3 on a G4/450.
Sorry, can't answer your specific question but I do have it running
with Panther. I didn't have any of the problems you describe as mine
were much earlier in the route to getting it running.

I struggled to get Pan compiled and installed through Fink so I went
through the darwinports route and got it working that way. I suspect
that I gave up on Fink too easily and sorted problems that were
affecting both (if that makes sense).

My problems were mostly down to path settings, and the fact that Fink
and Darwinports documentation was still referring to 10.2 rather than
the bash shell under 10.3.

Cheers,

Steve
--
My Usenet email address is a spam trap
To email - use steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk
Geoff Roynon
2004-04-11 23:24:25 UTC
Post by Geoff Roynon
I decided to install Pan as a way of learning a bit of Unix and
Fink/X11. I have installed Fink 0.7.0, X11 1.0 (XFree86 4.3.0), and Pan
14.2-14.
[snip]
Post by Steve Hodgson
Sorry, can't answer your specific question but I do have it running
with Panther. I didn't have any of the problems you describe as mine
were much earlier in the route to getting it running.
I struggled to get Pan compiled and installed through Fink so I went
through the darwinports route and got it working that way. I suspect
that I gave up on Fink too easily and sorted problems that were
affecting both (if that makes sense).
My problems were mostly down to path settings, and the fact that Fink
and Darwinports documentation was still referring to 10.2 rather than
the bash shell under 10.3.
Cheers,
Steve
I reloaded and recompiled pango (which took awhile) and it looks like
it's up and running now.
Need to play with it and see if it's better than my current newsreader.

Geoff
London, UK
Andy Hewitt
2004-04-13 16:47:28 UTC
Geoff Roynon <***@spamcop.net> wrote:

<Snipped Text>
Post by Geoff Roynon
Post by Steve Hodgson
My problems were mostly down to path settings, and the fact that Fink
and Darwinports documentation was still referring to 10.2 rather than
the bash shell under 10.3.
Cheers,
Steve
I reloaded and recompiled pango (which took awhile) and it looks like
it's up and running now.
Need to play with it and see if it's better than my current newsreader.
I too have Pan working fine with Panther here as well, but it took the
latest version of Fink to do it. You need to run 'sudo fink self-update'
and then 'sudo fink update-all'.

It's also worth a browse around the Fink FAQs on the website, as there
are a few tips regarding screen issues there - in particular some fonts
causing issues.
--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
http://www.thehewitts.plus.com - now online
Geoff Roynon
2004-04-13 19:37:03 UTC
Post by Andy Hewitt
<Snipped Text>
Post by Geoff Roynon
I reloaded and recompiled pango (which took awhile) and it looks like
it's up and running now.
Need to play with it and see if it's better than my current newsreader.
I too have Pan working fine with Panther here as well, but it took the
latest version of Fink to do it. You need to run 'sudo fink self-update'
and then 'sudo fink update-all'.
It's also worth a browse around the Fink FAQs on the website, as there
are a few tips regarding screen issues there - in particular some fonts
causing issues.
Thanks for the Fink info - will try it later tonight. I have been
looking for a manual or similar for Pan but can't find one.
Where/how do you set up the SMTP server to post messages? I've set up
the news server (Demon) and that works O.K. but no preference for SMTP
anywhere.
London, UK
Andy Hewitt
2004-04-13 19:55:42 UTC

Post by Geoff Roynon
Post by Andy Hewitt
It's also worth a browse around the Fink FAQs on the website, as there
are a few tips regarding screen issues there - in particular some fonts
causing issues.
Thanks for the Fink info - will try it later tonight. I have been
looking for a manual or similar for Pan but can't find one.
I don't think there is one, you have to wade through the Help files.
Post by Geoff Roynon
Where/how do you set up the SMTP server to post messages? I've set up
the news server (Demon) and that works O.K. but no preference for SMTP
anywhere.
Not sure you can, I think you have to set up a mail helper app, there is
a tab there for that in the preferences.