for those who want to boot WinXP on Intel Macs
J.J. O'Shea
2006-04-05 13:07:25 UTC
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>

This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
Jim
2006-04-05 13:16:29 UTC
Post by J.J. O'Shea
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
Sweet.

And if they'd released it a little earlier they may have won some cash :-)

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk
JediGeeks http://www.jedigeeks.com
How monie lengthen'd, sage advices, The Husband frae the wife despises!"
Al
2006-04-05 14:02:15 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by J.J. O'Shea
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
Sweet.
And if they'd released it a little earlier they may have won some cash :-)
Jim
Yeow! I'm making a bundle on the stock. I bought it at $14 way before
the split!

Go Apple, Go.

Al
Michelle Steiner
2006-04-05 15:09:40 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by J.J. O'Shea
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
Sweet.
And if they'd released it a little earlier they may have won some cash :-)
I think that they bought it, licensed it, or whatever from the guys who
won the cash.

And it apparently explains the firmware upgrade in 10.4.6:

"System Requirements
Boot Camp requires an Intel-based Mac with a USB keyboard and mouse, or
a built-in keyboard and TrackPad; Mac OS X version 10.4.6 or later; the
latest firmware update; at least 10GB of free space on the startup disk;
a blank recordable CD or DVD; and single-disc version of Windows XP Home
Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later."

Looks like people who are using BlueTooth mice and keyboards are SOL or
will have to buy USB devices.
zoara
2006-04-05 15:16:13 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Jim
Post by J.J. O'Shea
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
Sweet.
And if they'd released it a little earlier they may have won some cash :-)
I think that they bought it, licensed it, or whatever from the guys who
won the cash.
The people who won the cash used a method that required hacking around with
the Windows install CDS to get it to run on EFI. The Apple method appears
to update EFI so it emulates BIOS, allowing an off-the-shelf Windows
install CD to boot.

-z-
Michelle Steiner
2006-04-05 15:18:40 UTC
I was wrong about that; there are separate firmware upgrades for the
Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, and Intel Mac Mini. There's also a firmware
restore downgrade.

<http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/>
Michelle Steiner
2006-04-05 15:23:50 UTC
There's also a firmware restore downgrade.
Wrong again, Steiner!

The firmware restore works only for failed or interrupted update:

"The Firmware Restoration CD is used to restore the firmware of an
Intel-based iMac (early 2006), Mac mini (early 2006), or MacBook Pro
(early 2006) to original factory condition.
It can only be used to restore the Firmware after an interrupted or
failed update."
Ian McCall
2006-04-05 13:29:58 UTC
Post by J.J. O'Shea
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
Excellent move. The page says you need 10.4.6, so it seems as if that
boot loader code which the competition winners did has now been
incorporated into OS X-proper. Means that future OS updates won't break
your carefully put together WinXP build.

Do this and install MacDrive on the XP side, and you can use Windows
whilst keeping access to your data and iTunes library. Be nice to see
Apple working on a read/write NTFS driver next.

Cheers,
Ian
Graham J Lee
2006-04-05 13:34:47 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
Post by J.J. O'Shea
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
Excellent move. The page says you need 10.4.6, so it seems as if that
boot loader code which the competition winners did has now been
incorporated into OS X-proper. Means that future OS updates won't break
your carefully put together WinXP build.
I noticed that the Intel version of the update contained a new boot.efi.
[OT]I also looked at the PPC version and discovered that they'd
updated the Altivec version of libm, which is why they needed to redo
prebindings and have a second reboot...
PGG
2006-04-05 14:26:36 UTC
Post by Ian McCall
Do this and install MacDrive on the XP side, and you can use Windows
whilst keeping access to your data and iTunes library. Be nice to see
Apple working on a read/write NTFS driver next.
The download is pretty big. I assume most of that is the image of the
driver disk. It may be that there's an HFS driver for Windows already
there if it's that large.

I see from the requirements that you need an install CD of XP with
Service Pack 2 included. You can make one if you've only got CDs of
earlier versions, I think.
Steve Jones
2006-04-05 14:45:19 UTC
Post by PGG
I see from the requirements that you need an install CD of XP with
Service Pack 2 included. You can make one if you've only got CDs of
earlier versions, I think.
An article on doing this for those that might need it:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

Steve
Mark
2006-04-05 13:35:42 UTC
Post by J.J. O'Shea
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
This is simply awesome news, bad luck for those people who used the
onmac method though and had to reinstall OS X
Rexx Magnus
2006-04-05 14:00:18 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by J.J. O'Shea
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
This is simply awesome news, bad luck for those people who used the
onmac method though and had to reinstall OS X
I did, but found that it breaks every time you accidentally go to the
startup preferences pane!
--
http://www.rexx.co.uk
To email me, visit the site.

http://www.rexx.co.uk/runes/ - personal online rune readings
zoara
2006-04-05 13:40:34 UTC
Post by J.J. O'Shea
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
What a missed opportunity!

They could have released that last Saturday... there would be screams of
"It's an April Fool's joke, you morons", only for the screamers to realise
*they* were the ones fooled when it actually worked.

-z-
Király
2006-04-05 13:46:43 UTC
Post by J.J. O'Shea
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
Sounds like Virtual PC is dead.
K.
Jerome O'Donohoe
2006-04-05 13:51:20 UTC
Post by Király
Post by J.J. O'Shea
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
Sounds like Virtual PC is dead.
Dual boot doesn't kill Virtual PC. Dual boot's a pretty horrible
solution IMO. Something called Parallels, being launched later this
week, now that will kill Virtual PC. Or the fact that this
functionality might well just be part of Leopard.
--
Jerome
Dual Core 2.0 G5
Pro Tools & Nuendo-tastic!
zoara
2006-04-05 13:51:45 UTC
Post by Király
Post by J.J. O'Shea
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
Sounds like Virtual PC is dead.
This is dual-booting; VPC allows you to run OSX and Win concurrently. More
practical in some (most?) cases.

I wonder whether Boot Camp will have any virtualisation tricks up its
sleeve?

-z-
Ian McCall
2006-04-05 14:04:44 UTC
Post by zoara
I wonder whether Boot Camp will have any virtualisation tricks up its
sleeve?
Cut'n'pasted from my Slashdot post
(<http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=182273&cid=15065802>):

"...f you're going to run a virtual Windows, you still need to have an
actual installation of it lying around somewhere. Windows won't run
from an HFS+ drive, it will need its own NTFS set-up somewhere - this
tool will let you create such a set-up, ready to be dual-booted today
and virtualised tomorrow."

Cheers,
Ian
Warren Oates
2006-04-05 13:34:17 UTC
Post by J.J. O'Shea
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
Cool. Download it quick, before they change their minds.
--
W. Oates
Teal'c: He is concealing something.
Teal'c: I am unsure, he is concealing it.
Davoud
2006-04-05 14:17:10 UTC
Post by J.J. O'Shea
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>
This is not a joke. If it's a hoax, it's one perpetuated by Apple.
Cool enough, all right, but I want to run Mac OS and Windows
/simultaneously./ I'm a Mac guy (six of 'em running OS X) who needs to
use a couple of Windows programs /while/ using a Mac for 99 percent of
my work -- or should I say play -- it's amateur astronomy
<http://www.davidillig.com/astromac.shtml>.

Davoud
--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com