Usenapp issue
TimS
2022-11-28 11:47:48 UTC
I went from Usenapp 1.2.2 to 1.2.4.1, and lost the colouring for titles of my
outbound posts, even though I'd made no changes in the Prefs and the setting
for such colouration is still there. Going back to 1.2.2 has restored that
colouring.

Now, I reported this on the Forum as a bug and as Andre is unable to make it
fail, he suggests trying:

defaults delete com.xoroxsoft.usenapp

Before trying that, however, I'd like to know whether doing that would remove
my subscriptions, filter rules, or signatures. Anyone know?
Tim
David G. Brooks
2022-11-28 12:21:33 UTC
Post by TimS
I went from Usenapp 1.2.2 to 1.2.4.1, and lost the colouring for titles of my
outbound posts, even though I'd made no changes in the Prefs and the setting
for such colouration is still there. Going back to 1.2.2 has restored that
colouring.
Now, I reported this on the Forum as a bug and as Andre is unable to make it
defaults delete com.xoroxsoft.usenapp
Before trying that, however, I'd like to know whether doing that would remove
my subscriptions, filter rules, or signatures. Anyone know?
Here's some past info. for you:-

https://uk.comp.sys.mac.narkive.com/2nqSw9z9/usenapp-phones-home

HTH
Alan B
2022-11-28 12:33:38 UTC
Post by TimS
I went from Usenapp 1.2.2 to 1.2.4.1, and lost the colouring for titles of my
outbound posts, even though I'd made no changes in the Prefs and the setting
for such colouration is still there. Going back to 1.2.2 has restored that
colouring.
Now, I reported this on the Forum as a bug and as Andre is unable to make it
defaults delete com.xoroxsoft.usenapp
Before trying that, however, I'd like to know whether doing that would remove
my subscriptions, filter rules, or signatures. Anyone know?
Just tried what Andre suggested. The only outcome was a reminder that my
MegaSearch sub had expired. I've never subbed or used MegaSearch so I
dismissed the window and carried on regardless. Everything else seems OK -
subs, filters, sig.

Posted via Usenapp 1.24.1 (Build 363) - the latest.
Cheers, Alan
Alan B
2022-11-28 12:38:00 UTC
Post by Alan B
Post by TimS
I went from Usenapp 1.2.2 to 1.2.4.1, and lost the colouring for titles of my
outbound posts, even though I'd made no changes in the Prefs and the setting
for such colouration is still there. Going back to 1.2.2 has restored that
colouring.
Now, I reported this on the Forum as a bug and as Andre is unable to make it
defaults delete com.xoroxsoft.usenapp
Before trying that, however, I'd like to know whether doing that would remove
my subscriptions, filter rules, or signatures. Anyone know?
Just tried what Andre suggested. The only outcome was a reminder that my
MegaSearch sub had expired. I've never subbed or used MegaSearch so I
dismissed the window and carried on regardless. Everything else seems OK -
subs, filters, sig.
Posted via Usenapp 1.24.1 (Build 363) - the latest.
Actually it looks like I lost my advanced header settings but they are easily
put back.
Cheers, Alan
Andre
2022-11-28 12:47:23 UTC
Post by TimS
I went from Usenapp 1.2.2 to 1.2.4.1, and lost the colouring for titles of my
outbound posts, even though I'd made no changes in the Prefs and the setting
for such colouration is still there. Going back to 1.2.2 has restored that
colouring.
Now, I reported this on the Forum as a bug and as Andre is unable to make it
defaults delete com.xoroxsoft.usenapp
Before trying that, however, I'd like to know whether doing that would remove
my subscriptions, filter rules, or signatures. Anyone know?
No it doesn’t. It just resets the GUI and some default settings.
--
Thanks,
Andre
John Hill
2022-11-28 13:31:17 UTC
Post by Andre
Post by TimS
I went from Usenapp 1.2.2 to 1.2.4.1, and lost the colouring for titles of my
outbound posts, even though I'd made no changes in the Prefs and the setting
for such colouration is still there. Going back to 1.2.2 has restored that
colouring.
Now, I reported this on the Forum as a bug and as Andre is unable to make it
defaults delete com.xoroxsoft.usenapp
Before trying that, however, I'd like to know whether doing that would remove
my subscriptions, filter rules, or signatures. Anyone know?
No it doesn’t. It just resets the GUI and some default settings.
How long has the new version been out? Mine is up-to-date already, either
automatically or so long ago I've forgotten.

J.
An infinitely complex system can fail in an infinite number of ways.
Andre
2022-11-28 14:31:22 UTC
Post by John Hill
Post by Andre
Post by TimS
I went from Usenapp 1.2.2 to 1.2.4.1, and lost the colouring for titles of my
outbound posts, even though I'd made no changes in the Prefs and the setting
for such colouration is still there. Going back to 1.2.2 has restored that
colouring.
Now, I reported this on the Forum as a bug and as Andre is unable to make it
defaults delete com.xoroxsoft.usenapp
Before trying that, however, I'd like to know whether doing that would remove
my subscriptions, filter rules, or signatures. Anyone know?
No it doesn’t. It just resets the GUI and some default settings.
How long has the new version been out? Mine is up-to-date already, either
automatically or so long ago I've forgotten.
J.
The Usenapp release dates (and notes) are available on the following page:
<https://www.usenapp.com/releasenotes/>
--
Thanks,
Andre
J. J. Lodder
2022-11-29 12:24:33 UTC
Post by John Hill
Post by TimS
I went from Usenapp 1.2.2 to 1.2.4.1, and lost the colouring for titles
of my outbound posts, even though I'd made no changes in the Prefs and
the setting for such colouration is still there. Going back to 1.2.2
has restored that colouring.
Now, I reported this on the Forum as a bug and as Andre is unable to
defaults delete com.xoroxsoft.usenapp
Before trying that, however, I'd like to know whether doing that would
remove my subscriptions, filter rules, or signatures. Anyone know?
No it doesn't. It just resets the GUI and some default settings.
How long has the new version been out? Mine is up-to-date already, either
automatically or so long ago I've forgotten.
Beware: Upgrading from 1.23 to 1.24
forces an upgrade of the system software from 10.12 (Sierra)
to 10.13 (High Sierra) or higher.
There is no possibility on the site to download the older version,
if you would want to remain on Sierra,

Jan
Andre
2022-11-29 15:58:26 UTC
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by John Hill
Post by TimS
[...]
Usenapp v1.23 can be downloaded from the following link:
<https://www.usenapp.com/download/Usenapp-1.23.dmg>
--
Thanks,
Andre
J. J. Lodder
2022-12-21 12:06:38 UTC
Post by Andre
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by John Hill
Post by TimS
[...]
So Sierra users are locked forever in this old version?
Maybe you should mention that on your front page,
with the download link for older versions.
(like many other apps do)

Some venerable old ones have quite a list,

Jan

PS Was it really necessary to dump Sierra,
or is it just a matter of testing?
Just curious:
What does High Sierra do for us that Sierra doesn't?
Andre
2022-12-21 12:18:49 UTC
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Andre
Post by J. J. Lodder
Beware: Upgrading from 1.23 to 1.24
forces an upgrade of the system software from 10.12 (Sierra)
to 10.13 (High Sierra) or higher.
There is no possibility on the site to download the older version,
if you would want to remain on Sierra,
Jan
<https://www.usenapp.com/download/Usenapp-1.23.dmg>
So Sierra users are locked forever in this old version?
Maybe you should mention that on your front page,
The homepage states "Usenapp requires macOS v10.13 or higher".
The older version can be downloaded from the release notes page.
Post by J. J. Lodder
Was it really necessary to dump Sierra,
or is it just a matter of testing?
What does High Sierra do for us that Sierra doesn't?
Unfortunately, that's a choice made by Apple.
The current XCode versions only compile for MacOS 10.13 and above.
--
Thanks,
Andre.
nospam
2022-12-21 13:33:32 UTC
Post by Andre
Post by J. J. Lodder
What does High Sierra do for us that Sierra doesn't?
Unfortunately, that's a choice made by Apple.
no, it's a decision made by the developer.
Post by Andre
The current XCode versions only compile for MacOS 10.13 and above.
there are ways to still support 10.12 (or even earlier). whether it's
worth the effort depends on how many users still use earlier systems.
at this point, it won't be that many, almost certainly not enough to
justify the effort.
J. J. Lodder
2022-12-24 12:08:49 UTC
Post by Andre
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Andre
Post by J. J. Lodder
Beware: Upgrading from 1.23 to 1.24
forces an upgrade of the system software from 10.12 (Sierra)
to 10.13 (High Sierra) or higher.
There is no possibility on the site to download the older version,
if you would want to remain on Sierra,
Jan
<https://www.usenapp.com/download/Usenapp-1.23.dmg>
So Sierra users are locked forever in this old version?
Maybe you should mention that on your front page,
The homepage states "Usenapp requires macOS v10.13 or higher".
The older version can be downloaded from the release notes page.
Oh well, just when I had decided that I really should give it a try
you slam the door in my face.
No point in buying into a dead end, I guess,

Jan

TimS
2022-11-28 14:12:29 UTC
Post by Andre
Post by TimS
I went from Usenapp 1.2.2 to 1.2.4.1, and lost the colouring for titles of my
outbound posts, even though I'd made no changes in the Prefs and the setting
for such colouration is still there. Going back to 1.2.2 has restored that
colouring.
Now, I reported this on the Forum as a bug and as Andre is unable to make it
defaults delete com.xoroxsoft.usenapp
Before trying that, however, I'd like to know whether doing that would remove
my subscriptions, filter rules, or signatures. Anyone know?
No it doesn’t. It just resets the GUI and some default settings.
Thanks. I'll put up 1.24.1 and try. I can always go back to 1.22. (Apols for
rubbish version number in my OP :-)
Tim
TimS
2022-11-28 14:40:06 UTC
Post by Andre
I went from Usenapp 1.22 to 1.24.1, and lost the colouring for titles of my
outbound posts, even though I'd made no changes in the Prefs and the setting
for such colouration is still there. Going back to 1.22 has restored that
colouring.
Now, I reported this on the Forum as a bug and as Andre is unable to make it
defaults delete com.xoroxsoft.usenapp
Before trying that, however, I'd like to know whether doing that would remove
my subscriptions, filter rules, or signatures. Anyone know?
No it doesn’t. It just resets the GUI and some default settings.
OK. What happened was this. I updated to 1.24.1 and did the defaults delete.
On restarting, I could see that I had highlighting of my messages in blue as
shown in your image on the Forum. Next I tried to restore my own colour for
highlighting by going into the Prefs, but the highlighting then reverted to
black and I have not since been able to shift it to any other colour.
Tim
Andre
2022-11-29 19:06:44 UTC
Post by TimS
[...]

[...]