iTunes/iPod sync notes - what's it all about?
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-05 19:53:07 UTC
I've got an iPod touch and I'd like to stick a text note on it from a
Mac.

I've looked in iTunes help to see if the job's do-able, and drawn a
blank.

The iTunes UI shows a `Sync notes' entry - can anyone explain what it
does?

Rowland.
--
Remove the animal for email address: ***@dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
UK biker? Join MAG and the BMF and stop the Eurocrats banning biking
Woody
2010-05-05 20:06:34 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I've got an iPod touch and I'd like to stick a text note on it from a
Mac.
I've looked in iTunes help to see if the job's do-able, and drawn a
blank.
The iTunes UI shows a `Sync notes' entry - can anyone explain what it
does?
It syncs the notes that you can make within mail with the notepad on the
iPod.
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-05 21:13:44 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I've got an iPod touch and I'd like to stick a text note on it from a
Mac.
I've looked in iTunes help to see if the job's do-able, and drawn a
blank.
The iTunes UI shows a `Sync notes' entry - can anyone explain what it
does?
It syncs the notes that you can make within mail with the notepad on the
iPod.
Hmm - is there no other way of getting `notes' onto an iPod?

Seems a bit of a pain, having to use Mail.app for the job, if only
because you've got to set up an email account to run Mail.app at all[1].

(And lordie - Marker Felt as the default fount? ARGH! Talk about
making it hard to use...)

Rowland.
(wondering why there's nothing in iTunes help to explain what `Sync
notes' is all about)

[1] For security reasons, none of the standard Apple software with
MacOS X knows about me or mine, IYSWIM. My Mac doesn't have my email
address in Address Book, nor do I have any email held by Mail.app, which
I've just set up to use imaginary mail servers and a nonsense email
address.

Call me paranoid and I won't care at all - especially not when I avoid
the problems that clobber other people.
Woody
2010-05-05 21:16:49 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I've got an iPod touch and I'd like to stick a text note on it from a
Mac.
I've looked in iTunes help to see if the job's do-able, and drawn a
blank.
The iTunes UI shows a `Sync notes' entry - can anyone explain what it
does?
It syncs the notes that you can make within mail with the notepad on the
iPod.
Hmm - is there no other way of getting `notes' onto an iPod?
I am sure there must be some other applications that do note sync but I
have never used any.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Seems a bit of a pain, having to use Mail.app for the job, if only
because you've got to set up an email account to run Mail.app at all[1].
Can you set up a dummy one? you can set it to not check.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
[1] For security reasons, none of the standard Apple software with
MacOS X knows about me or mine, IYSWIM. My Mac doesn't have my email
address in Address Book, nor do I have any email held by Mail.app, which
I've just set up to use imaginary mail servers and a nonsense email
address.
So cant you use notes with that?
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-05 22:01:11 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I've got an iPod touch and I'd like to stick a text note on it from a
Mac.
I've looked in iTunes help to see if the job's do-able, and drawn a
blank.
The iTunes UI shows a `Sync notes' entry - can anyone explain what it
does?
It syncs the notes that you can make within mail with the notepad on the
iPod.
Hmm - is there no other way of getting `notes' onto an iPod?
I am sure there must be some other applications that do note sync but I
have never used any.
What do you mean by that?

Surely we are looking at a situation where Apple has implemented a
special `Notes' feature in Mail.app, and permits the notes from Mail.app
to be copied onto an iPod Touch.

I've not seen any means of reversing the flow so you can put a note from
an iPod onto a Mac, nor is there any indication of `Notes' of this sort
being anything other than the special notes you get in Mail.app.

I really do not like this way of working - can't even save the bloody
things to file or anything.

Just got this list of special notes in a special thing in a special
sidebar in an email app, gotta trust the email software to look after
the management of notes, and this kind of thing *ALWAYS* eventually
breaks in a fashion that's a major pain in the arse, if it's being
handled as a special inside an app.
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Seems a bit of a pain, having to use Mail.app for the job, if only
because you've got to set up an email account to run Mail.app at all[1].
Can you set up a dummy one? you can set it to not check.
My previous post explained in very plain English that I had in fact done
set up a dummy account.

You'd find it easier to converse with people if you paid some respect to
their words, you know. Nothing tricky or unusual, just
listening/reading to what they actual transmit to you.

I find the contempt with which you treat me bloody annoying, Woody.

You get no benefit from ignoring what's told to you, aside from winding
up those you fail to give proper respect to by ignoring their messages
and then talking to them about those same messages which you've not
bothered to listen to with any care at all.

Since that is the only benefit you get from your contemptous behaviour,
I assume that it is your intention to annoy by your contempt of others.

You succeed in my case.
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
[1] For security reasons, none of the standard Apple software with
MacOS X knows about me or mine, IYSWIM. My Mac doesn't have my email
address in Address Book, nor do I have any email held by Mail.app, which
I've just set up to use imaginary mail servers and a nonsense email
address.
So cant you use notes with that?
<puzzled>

What does that mean?

Rowland.
Woody
2010-05-05 22:59:35 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I've got an iPod touch and I'd like to stick a text note on it from a
Mac.
I've looked in iTunes help to see if the job's do-able, and drawn a
blank.
The iTunes UI shows a `Sync notes' entry - can anyone explain what it
does?
It syncs the notes that you can make within mail with the notepad on the
iPod.
Hmm - is there no other way of getting `notes' onto an iPod?
I am sure there must be some other applications that do note sync but I
have never used any.
What do you mean by that?
I mean that on the iTunes store there are other applications that can
create and sync notes.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I really do not like this way of working - can't even save the bloody
things to file or anything.
They are saved to a file in ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Notes.mbox/Messages
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Seems a bit of a pain, having to use Mail.app for the job, if only
because you've got to set up an email account to run Mail.app at all[1].
Can you set up a dummy one? you can set it to not check.
My previous post explained in very plain English that I had in fact done
set up a dummy account.
Yes, but that was afterwards in a footnote, I didn't go round and
re-write it.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
You'd find it easier to converse with people if you paid some respect to
their words, you know.
Hello pot, love kettle!
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Nothing tricky or unusual, just
listening/reading to what they actual transmit to you.
I find the contempt with which you treat me bloody annoying, Woody.
Oh get over yourself. Go sort it out yourself, I don't know why I even
bother.
I am fed up of you ranting and raving at people being abusive when they
are trying to help you fix the things that you can't get to work because
you are just to damn stupid to work it out yourself.
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Jim
2010-05-06 06:08:22 UTC
Post by Woody
Oh get over yourself. Go sort it out yourself, I don't know why I even
bother.
I am fed up of you ranting and raving at people being abusive when they
are trying to help you fix the things that you can't get to work because
you are just to damn stupid to work it out yourself.
If he's going to insist that he knows better, and keeps putting oil
where the water should go, then best to just let him get on with it. If
he's not going to listen then there's no point in explaining.

Jim
--
http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK
Please help save Bletchley Park - sign the petition for
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BletchleyPark/ Thank you.
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-06 16:50:55 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Woody
Oh get over yourself. Go sort it out yourself, I don't know why I even
bother.
I am fed up of you ranting and raving at people being abusive when they
are trying to help you fix the things that you can't get to work because
you are just to damn stupid to work it out yourself.
If he's going to insist that he knows better, and keeps putting oil
where the water should go, then best to just let him get on with it. If
he's not going to listen then there's no point in explaining.
Jim, if you're going to jump in with insulting bullshit like this
intended to put me down and cause people to have a bad attitude towards
me, you really should just fuck off and die instead.

Your post isn't welcome here - it's totally off-topic, not to mention
being vilely insulting personal abuse.

For the record: I have not behaved as Jim's dishonest implication makes
out.

He's just shitting on me again, like the shit he is.

Rowland.
T i m
2010-05-06 06:57:50 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I find the contempt with which you treat me bloody annoying, Woody.
Oh get over yourself. Go sort it out yourself, I don't know why I even
bother.
I am fed up of you ranting and raving at people being abusive when they
are trying to help you fix the things that you can't get to work because
you are just to damn stupid to work it out yourself.
Ask him when his birthday is, go on, ask him ...

<Fires up biorhythm calculator>

T i m
Woody
2010-05-06 07:08:26 UTC
Post by T i m
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I find the contempt with which you treat me bloody annoying, Woody.
Oh get over yourself. Go sort it out yourself, I don't know why I even
bother.
I am fed up of you ranting and raving at people being abusive when they
are trying to help you fix the things that you can't get to work because
you are just to damn stupid to work it out yourself.
Ask him when his birthday is, go on, ask him ...
<Fires up biorhythm calculator>
Well, if your biorythm calculator is any good, you should be able to
work it backwards from here and find out when he was born. Try april
1967, see if you can find the day!
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
T i m
Calculating ......
T i m
2010-05-06 07:59:15 UTC
Post by T i m
Post by Woody
Post by T i m
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I find the contempt with which you treat me bloody annoying, Woody.
Oh get over yourself. Go sort it out yourself, I don't know why I even
bother.
I am fed up of you ranting and raving at people being abusive when they
are trying to help you fix the things that you can't get to work because
you are just to damn stupid to work it out yourself.
Ask him when his birthday is, go on, ask him ...
<Fires up biorhythm calculator>
Well, if your biorythm calculator is any good, you should be able to
work it backwards from here and find out when he was born. Try april
1967, see if you can find the day!
Calculating ......
Hmm, it's come up with the 1st. That couldn't be right could it? ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Woody
Woody
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-06 16:50:56 UTC
T i m <***@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

[snip]
Post by T i m
Hmm, it's come up with the 1st. That couldn't be right could it? ;-)
Nah, 1st April (different year) was my cousin Simon.

Rowland (thinking of the shot that rang out)
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-06 16:50:55 UTC
[snip]
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
I am sure there must be some other applications that do note sync but I
have never used any.
What do you mean by that?
I mean that on the iTunes store there are other applications that can
create and sync notes.
Umm. Don't such apps only run on the actual iPod/iPhone?

I'm looking for a way to make notes on a Mac and transfer them to the
iPod Touch.
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I really do not like this way of working - can't even save the bloody
things to file or anything.
They are saved to a file in ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Notes.mbox/Messages
What mechanism puts them there? That is, when do they get saved?
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Seems a bit of a pain, having to use Mail.app for the job, if only
because you've got to set up an email account to run Mail.app at all[1].
Can you set up a dummy one? you can set it to not check.
My previous post explained in very plain English that I had in fact done
set up a dummy account.
Yes, but that was afterwards in a footnote, I didn't go round and
re-write it.
I see - so you knew you'd written something faulty, and had such a lack
of respect for you audience that you chose to post it in `known broken'
form.

Cheers for that!
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
You'd find it easier to converse with people if you paid some respect to
their words, you know.
Hello pot, love kettle!
Ah yes, insults already. I pay careful respect to your words - to all
words.

It's highly insulting of you to suggest otherwise - why insult me that
way?
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Nothing tricky or unusual, just
listening/reading to what they actual transmit to you.
I find the contempt with which you treat me bloody annoying, Woody.
Oh get over yourself. Go sort it out yourself, I don't know why I even
bother.
I don't know why you bother insulting me and putting me down so much
either - why do you behave so badly, Woody?

You see, what you were doing was insulting me - I don't know why you
bother doing that, but you do. I'd like you to stop insulting me, and
also stop behaving like such a fucking hypocrite when you get back some
of what you dish out to me.
Post by Woody
I am fed up of you ranting and raving at people being abusive when they
are trying to help you fix the things that you can't get to work because
you are just to damn stupid to work it out yourself.
Riiight... Well, I'm fed up with you insulting me with bullshit like
that.

Why do it, Woody? Why hurl all these bullshit insults at me?

As you know, I'm complaining about your abusiveness towards me - not
doing what your abusive lies allege.

As you know, alleging that the reason I can't get whatever to work
because of my stupidity is highly insulting.

You know very well that is not the problem in this case - but you seem
to think I should be happy with the insults you hurl at me.

btw, you don't seem to have made a great deal of effort to provide me
with any sort of help to solve my problem - I've seen nothing from you
that helps me in any way with this problem, nothing at all.

Rowland.
Woody
2010-05-06 19:11:55 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
[snip]
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
I am sure there must be some other applications that do note sync but I
have never used any.
What do you mean by that?
I mean that on the iTunes store there are other applications that can
create and sync notes.
Umm. Don't such apps only run on the actual iPod/iPhone?
There are a few apps (I don't know the names but i have used them when I
had an iPod before I got the phone and a mobile me account) that run as
an iPod app combined with a mac (and sometimes windows) app.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I'm looking for a way to make notes on a Mac and transfer them to the
iPod Touch.
Yes, there are some of those. Generally I am guessing they don't use the
current 'notes' application, but use their own, normally with additional
features (like the ability to change the font).
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I really do not like this way of working - can't even save the bloody
things to file or anything.
They are saved to a file in ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Notes.mbox/Messages
What mechanism puts them there? That is, when do they get saved?
Either during an iTunes sync when you plug in your iPod (assuming it
automatically syncs) or if you have a mobile.me account, whenever the
notes get updated and the checking period has expired (I don't know how
often that is, but it seems to happen quickly).

Some of the other applications allow wireless syncing.

When it comes to a manual iTunes sync, I don't know how closely the
notes are tied to accounts on your iMac, as my notes in my Mail (and
obviously my phone) appear both in the Notes section, as you would
expect but also in main mail account (there are 5, and presumably this
also ties in with it being the first account I set up).
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I find the contempt with which you treat me bloody annoying, Woody.
Oh get over yourself. Go sort it out yourself, I don't know why I even
bother.
I don't know why you bother insulting me and putting me down so much
either - why do you behave so badly, Woody?
I don't know, why do you behave so badly, Rowland? If you stopped it
then maybe it would be a bit nicer here? but no, you wont.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
I am fed up of you ranting and raving at people being abusive when they
are trying to help you fix the things that you can't get to work because
you are just to damn stupid to work it out yourself.
Riiight... Well, I'm fed up with you insulting me with bullshit like
that.
Why do it, Woody? Why hurl all these bullshit insults at me?
As you know, I'm complaining about your abusiveness towards me - not
doing what your abusive lies allege.
And I am complaining about yoru abusiveness to me, and many other people
on this group. Just becasue you filled out the paperwork for the
newsgroup it doesn't mean we all have to be grateful to you, like you
always tell us we should, and it really doesn't give you the right to
act like a complete asshole as you enjoy doing.
Yes, you have a horible life as you are always telling us, and maybe you
resent other people being happy, I know people who are like that, but it
doesn't make it right.

<snip usual rowland drivel>
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2010-05-06 19:21:17 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I'm looking for a way to make notes on a Mac and transfer them to the
iPod Touch.
Yes, there are some of those. Generally I am guessing they don't use the
current 'notes' application, but use their own, normally with additional
features (like the ability to change the font).
Evernote is one such - an iPhoneOS app plus the obvious website.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will
kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
Woody
2010-05-06 19:24:06 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I'm looking for a way to make notes on a Mac and transfer them to the
iPod Touch.
Yes, there are some of those. Generally I am guessing they don't use the
current 'notes' application, but use their own, normally with additional
features (like the ability to change the font).
Evernote is one such - an iPhoneOS app plus the obvious website.
Oh yes, and the application. I remember now, I went off it as I couldn't
use it at work as they didn't put in a proxy setting.
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Tim Hodgson
2010-05-06 19:36:48 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I'm looking for a way to make notes on a Mac and transfer them to the
iPod Touch.
Yes, there are some of those. Generally I am guessing they don't use the
current 'notes' application, but use their own, normally with additional
features (like the ability to change the font).
Evernote is one such - an iPhoneOS app plus the obvious website.
Cheers - Jaimie
I'm just trying out PasteBot (at zoara's suggestion; see elsewhere in
thread). Very impressed so far. Syncing - in either direction - is only
possible over a local wifi network, but I don't think that's too much of
a problem for me, and removes any anxiety about whether someone else's
server can be relied on.
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-09 00:08:14 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I'm looking for a way to make notes on a Mac and transfer them to the
iPod Touch.
Yes, there are some of those. Generally I am guessing they don't use the
current 'notes' application, but use their own, normally with additional
features (like the ability to change the font).
Evernote is one such - an iPhoneOS app plus the obvious website.
Righto - ta.

Rowland.
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-09 00:27:48 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I'm looking for a way to make notes on a Mac and transfer them to the
iPod Touch.
Yes, there are some of those. Generally I am guessing they don't use the
current 'notes' application, but use their own, normally with additional
features (like the ability to change the font).
Evernote is one such - an iPhoneOS app plus the obvious website.
Umm.

Evernote doesn't do what I'm after.

Is there any software out there that has the ability to let one write a
note on a Mac and transfer it to an iPod Touch/iPhone via the cable
between Mac and iPod, just doing that job?

It's important to avoid an on-line go-between.

Mail.app can do it, but it's a bit ugly to have to set up and use
Mail.app when the only thing you use it for is transferring text from
Mac to iPod.

Rowland.
zoara
2010-05-09 10:42:18 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Is there any software out there that has the ability to let one write a
note on a Mac and transfer it to an iPod Touch/iPhone via the cable
between Mac and iPod, just doing that job?
No, as Apple don't allow apps access to the iTunes sync. Third party
apps cannot sync using the cable, at least not without jailbreaking your
iPod. Many apps will sync via local wifi or over the net.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
It's important to avoid an on-line go-between.
You're probably going to struggle with this requirement as most app
combos out there (eg Simplenote and Notational Velocity) sync via the
net. They're both local apps (Simplenote is an iPhone app, and
Notational Velocity a Mac app) but both sync to a repository stored
online.

There are apps out there that will sync over local wifi - you have an
app on the Mac and one on the PC (maybe by the same vendor, maybe not) -
but I don't know what they are, as I find "cloud" syncing more useful
than local network syncing. An app store search should find one, bit you
may find you have to try a few out.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Mail.app can do it, but it's a bit ugly to have to set up and use
Mail.app when the only thing you use it for is transferring text from
Mac to iPod.
If you sincerely need to do it by cable, it's you're only choice.
Perhaps if you jailbreak there will be something that will sync over
cable but i don't know.

-zoara-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Jim
2010-05-09 11:48:58 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Mail.app can do it, but it's a bit ugly to have to set up and use
Mail.app when the only thing you use it for is transferring text from
Mac to iPod.
If you sincerely need to do it by cable, it's you're only choice.
Agreed, to the best of my knowledge.

Apart from the hideous you're/your slip :-)

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
slightly damp tablecloths." http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
zoara
2010-05-09 22:13:13 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Mail.app can do it, but it's a bit ugly to have to set up and use
Mail.app when the only thing you use it for is transferring text from
Mac to iPod.
If you sincerely need to do it by cable, it's you're only choice.
Agreed, to the best of my knowledge.
Apart from the hideous you're/your slip :-)
Ouch. What the hell happened there?

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Mark
2010-05-09 15:57:06 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Mail.app can do it, but it's a bit ugly to have to set up and use
Mail.app when the only thing you use it for is transferring text from
Mac to iPod.
If you sincerely need to do it by cable, it's you're only choice.
Perhaps if you jailbreak there will be something that will sync over
cable but i don't know.
-zoara-
Certain apps /did/ have the ability to sync via USB, but Apple decided
that facility should not be available via a third-party app, and that it
should be removed. I have GoodReader, and it was removed in newer
versions of this (as of...January? February?), although as long as you
had already purchased the app the ability to USB sync was retained.
Cheers ... Mark
zoara
2010-05-10 10:49:08 UTC
Post by Mark
Certain apps /did/ have the ability to sync via USB, but Apple decided
that facility should not be available via a third-party app, and that it
should be removed.
It was my understanding that this was never an official feature and was
a loophole that Apple forgot to close. Didn't most apps that did this
save "images" to the photo album or something?
Post by Mark
I have GoodReader, and it was removed in newer
versions of this (as of...January? February?), although as long as you
had already purchased the app the ability to USB sync was retained.
Stanza did it as well, I think.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Mark
2010-05-10 11:43:59 UTC
On Mon, 10 May 2010 11:49:08 +0100, zoara wrote
(in article
GoodReader had/has its own app <http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-tr-usb.html>

Mark
Mark
2010-05-10 11:51:23 UTC
Post by Mark
(in article
Post by Mark
I have GoodReader, and it was removed in newer
versions of this (as of...January? February?), although as long as you
had already purchased the app the ability to USB sync was retained.
Stanza did it as well, I think.
-z-
GoodReader had/has its own app <http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-tr-usb.html>
Mark
Hmmm...losing the plot a bit. Not so much 'sync' as just transfer files
actually..

Mark
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-11 19:37:31 UTC
[snip]
Post by Mark
Post by Mark
GoodReader had/has its own app <http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-tr-usb.html>
Mark
Hmmm...losing the plot a bit.
So it doesn't work as you like, so you hurl an insult at 'em...
Post by Mark
Not so much 'sync' as just transfer files
actually..
That's not such a bad approach.

Any time I've met anything that claims to `sync' files, I've also come
across something that has caused someone to complain about it having
deleted all their data that they wanted to keep.

Me including.

Syncing as implemented is a pain in the arse when it doesn't do what you
want - which is `sometimes'. And then it's too late, yer data's gone.
I loathe syncing...

Rowland.

P.S. btw, I'm not sure why this firm says it removed this ability to
avoid violation of Apple's rules. Surely that only matters if you want
co-operation from Apple? And I can't see why this firm would need it.
Woody
2010-05-11 20:17:49 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
P.S. btw, I'm not sure why this firm says it removed this ability to
avoid violation of Apple's rules. Surely that only matters if you want
co-operation from Apple? And I can't see why this firm would need it.
It is up to apple whether they arbitrarily remove your software from
their store, making it impossible to sell your software. And as they
don't ahve to give any reason why they did it, it is probably wise to
keep with their rules.
--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-11 21:17:31 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
P.S. btw, I'm not sure why this firm says it removed this ability to
avoid violation of Apple's rules. Surely that only matters if you want
co-operation from Apple? And I can't see why this firm would need it.
It is up to apple whether they arbitrarily remove your software from
their store, making it impossible to sell your software. And as they
don't ahve to give any reason why they did it, it is probably wise to
keep with their rules.
Hmm - I didn't know that's what was going on. Hmm.

Hmm....

It is all a bit, erm.

One of these days, Apple's going to have to decide what it wants to do -
it can't carry on behaving as arbitrarily as it has been without some
sort of trouble turning up big time, not given the way it's going about
things.

Rowland.
Mark
2010-05-12 09:59:52 UTC
On Tue, 11 May 2010 20:37:31 +0100, Rowland McDonnell wrote
(in article
Post by Rowland McDonnell
[snip]
Post by Mark
Post by Mark
GoodReader had/has its own app
<http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-tr-usb.html>
Mark
Hmmm...losing the plot a bit.
So it doesn't work as you like, so you hurl an insult at 'em...
Ah sorry, I forgot - this is Usenet ..."Nothing is anything without context"
I meant that /I'm/ losing the plot - the original question was about sync and
I was posting about transfer. No insults hurled!
Cheers ... Mark
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-12 18:36:22 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Rowland McDonnell
[snip]
Post by Mark
Post by Mark
GoodReader had/has its own app
<http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-tr-usb.html>
Mark
Hmmm...losing the plot a bit.
So it doesn't work as you like, so you hurl an insult at 'em...
Ah sorry, I forgot - this is Usenet ..."Nothing is anything without context"
Outside Usenet, the same principle applies. It's just that on Usenet,
the only context we've got is `the text'. That's /it/.
Post by Mark
I meant that /I'm/ losing the plot - the original question was about sync and
I was posting about transfer. No insults hurled!
Ah. <blush> Oops. Sorry, I'm a bit touchy about some things.

[snip]

Rowland.
(who's had a notably bad day)
zoara
2010-05-10 15:21:54 UTC
Post by Mark
(in article
Post by Mark
I have GoodReader, and it was removed in newer
versions of this (as of...January? February?), although as long as you
had already purchased the app the ability to USB sync was retained.
Stanza did it as well, I think.
-z-
GoodReader had/has its own app
<http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-tr-usb.html>
By the look of it, that app is just a layer on top of iPhone Explorer,
which seems to exploit the "data as images" loophole I was talking
about. See Lifehacker's screenshot at http://j.mp/cfRZ54 - it shows the
"root" as the parent of the DCIM folder used by cameras (including the
one on the iPhone) to store images. It's not the real root.

It's a clever hack, but a loophole that Apple doesn't want to allow.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Chris Ridd
2010-05-10 12:17:33 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Mark
Certain apps /did/ have the ability to sync via USB, but Apple decided
that facility should not be available via a third-party app, and that it
should be removed.
It was my understanding that this was never an official feature and was
a loophole that Apple forgot to close. Didn't most apps that did this
save "images" to the photo album or something?
There's an officially blessed mechanism to do this on the iPad, ie OS
3.2, and I presume OS 4.0.

AIUI it copies stuff into iTunes, so isn't a sync as such.
Chris
zoara
2010-05-10 15:21:50 UTC
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by zoara
Post by Mark
Post by Mark
Certain apps /did/ have the ability to sync via USB, but Apple decided
that facility should not be available via a third-party app, and
that
it
should be removed.
It was my understanding that this was never an official feature and was
a loophole that Apple forgot to close. Didn't most apps that did this
save "images" to the photo album or something?
There's an officially blessed mechanism to do this on the iPad, ie OS
3.2, and I presume OS 4.0.
I thought that only showed up in the betas and didn't make it out
officially?
Post by Chris Ridd
AIUI it copies stuff into iTunes, so isn't a sync as such.
No, but it explains why Apple clamped down on unofficial methods.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Chris Ridd
2010-05-10 15:36:02 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by zoara
Post by Mark
Post by Mark
Certain apps /did/ have the ability to sync via USB, but Apple decided
that facility should not be available via a third-party app, and
that
it
should be removed.
It was my understanding that this was never an official feature and was
a loophole that Apple forgot to close. Didn't most apps that did this
save "images" to the photo album or something?
There's an officially blessed mechanism to do this on the iPad, ie OS
3.2, and I presume OS 4.0.
I thought that only showed up in the betas and didn't make it out
officially?
The iWork apps for iPad can do this, so I think that makes it official.
Well, depending on the country you're in having iPads etc.

Incidentally "printing will come" according to Steve Jobs.
<http://www.tipb.com/2010/05/10/steve-jobs-printing-ipad/>
Chris
zoara
2010-05-12 21:02:43 UTC
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by zoara
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by zoara
Post by Mark
There's an officially blessed mechanism to do this on the iPad, ie OS
3.2, and I presume OS 4.0.
I thought that only showed up in the betas and didn't make it out
officially?
The iWork apps for iPad can do this, so I think that makes it
official. Well, depending on the country you're in having iPads etc.
Is that a private API or can developers make use of it?
Post by Chris Ridd
Incidentally "printing will come" according to Steve Jobs.
<http://www.tipb.com/2010/05/10/steve-jobs-printing-ipad/>
Nice.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Chris Ridd
2010-05-13 06:22:27 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Chris Ridd
The iWork apps for iPad can do this, so I think that makes it
official. Well, depending on the country you're in having iPads etc.
Is that a private API or can developers make use of it?
Supposedly public, as things like OmniGraffle are using it on the iPad.
I doubt Omni have had special dispensation from Apple to use some
private API.

OTOH I can't see anything obvious in the 3.2 API diffs documentation.
Chris
zoara

email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-11 19:37:31 UTC
[snip]
Post by zoara
No, but it explains why Apple clamped down on unofficial methods.
Not to me it doesn't.

Can anyone give a real explanation of *HOW* Apple stopped people writing
syncing software?

... and why.

Rowland.
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-09 23:13:34 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Is there any software out there that has the ability to let one write a
note on a Mac and transfer it to an iPod Touch/iPhone via the cable
between Mac and iPod, just doing that job?
No, as Apple don't allow apps access to the iTunes sync. Third party
apps cannot sync using the cable, at least not without jailbreaking your
iPod. Many apps will sync via local wifi or over the net.
Hmm - righto. One might have thought that someone might have written an
app that'll write to the standard notes file that gets synched. But if
not, so it goes.
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
It's important to avoid an on-line go-between.
You're probably going to struggle with this requirement as most app
combos out there (eg Simplenote and Notational Velocity) sync via the
net. They're both local apps (Simplenote is an iPhone app, and
Notational Velocity a Mac app) but both sync to a repository stored
online.
Uhuh.
Post by zoara
There are apps out there that will sync over local wifi - you have an
app on the Mac and one on the PC (maybe by the same vendor, maybe not) -
but I don't know what they are, as I find "cloud" syncing more useful
than local network syncing. An app store search should find one, bit you
may find you have to try a few out.
Hmm - righto (again).
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Mail.app can do it, but it's a bit ugly to have to set up and use
Mail.app when the only thing you use it for is transferring text from
Mac to iPod.
If you sincerely need to do it by cable, it's you're only choice.
Perhaps if you jailbreak there will be something that will sync over
cable but i don't know.
Okay. So be it.

Cheers,
Rowland.
zoara
2010-05-10 12:40:34 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Is there any software out there that has the ability to let one
write
note on a Mac and transfer it to an iPod Touch/iPhone via the cable
between Mac and iPod, just doing that job?
No, as Apple don't allow apps access to the iTunes sync. Third party
apps cannot sync using the cable, at least not without jailbreaking your
iPod. Many apps will sync via local wifi or over the net.
Hmm - righto. One might have thought that someone might have written an
app that'll write to the standard notes file that gets synched. But if
not, so it goes.
That's a thought, but I wouldn't know. I'd be interested if you discover
that one does exist, though...

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-11 19:37:30 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Is there any software out there that has the ability to let one
write
note on a Mac and transfer it to an iPod Touch/iPhone via the cable
between Mac and iPod, just doing that job?
No, as Apple don't allow apps access to the iTunes sync. Third party
apps cannot sync using the cable, at least not without jailbreaking your
iPod. Many apps will sync via local wifi or over the net.
Hmm - righto. One might have thought that someone might have written
an app that'll write to the standard notes file that gets synched. But
if not, so it goes.
That's a thought, but I wouldn't know. I'd be interested if you discover
that one does exist, though...
<shrug>

If I could find one, I'd not be asking here.

Rowland.
zoara
2010-05-12 15:25:09 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Hmm - righto. One might have thought that someone might have written
an app that'll write to the standard notes file that gets synched.
But
if not, so it goes.
That's a thought, but I wouldn't know. I'd be interested if you discover
that one does exist, though...
<shrug>
If I could find one, I'd not be asking here.
You have more clues to go on than when you started, though. The path of
the file they're written to is probably worth plugging into Google, for
instance.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-12 18:36:22 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Hmm - righto. One might have thought that someone might have written
an app that'll write to the standard notes file that gets synched.
But
if not, so it goes.
That's a thought, but I wouldn't know. I'd be interested if you discover
that one does exist, though...
<shrug>
If I could find one, I'd not be asking here.
You have more clues to go on than when you started, though.
Do I?
Post by zoara
The path of
the file they're written to is probably worth plugging into Google, for
instance.
<puzzled> Really? Why's that, then?

Rowland.
zoara
2010-05-13 09:07:21 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Hmm - righto. One might have thought that someone might have written
an app that'll write to the standard notes file that gets synched.
But
if not, so it goes.
That's a thought, but I wouldn't know. I'd be interested if you discover
that one does exist, though...
<shrug>
If I could find one, I'd not be asking here.
You have more clues to go on than when you started, though.
Do I?
Perhaps not, then. I do, but I'm only casually interested - not enough
to go Googling.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
The path of
the file they're written to is probably worth plugging into Google, for
instance.
<puzzled> Really? Why's that, then?
Presumably software that writes to that file will be mentioned on the
same page as that file's path is mentioned.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
zoara
2010-05-13 13:51:36 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Rowland McDonnell
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Hmm - righto. One might have thought that someone might
have
written
an app that'll write to the standard notes file that gets synched.
But
if not, so it goes.
That's a thought, but I wouldn't know. I'd be interested if
you
discover
that one does exist, though...
<shrug>
If I could find one, I'd not be asking here.
You have more clues to go on than when you started, though.
Do I?
Perhaps not, then. I do, but I'm only casually interested - not enough
to go Googling.
I changed my mind. Googling - with the path name as a search term - led
me to this page: http://j.mp/c2C4fJ, which in turn led me to PhoneView.
Hopefully it will work for you; here's their page on syncing notes:

http://j.mp/aF6Tig

Costs money though.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-14 12:37:27 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by zoara
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Rowland McDonnell
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Hmm - righto. One might have thought that someone might
have
written
an app that'll write to the standard notes file that gets synched.
But
if not, so it goes.
That's a thought, but I wouldn't know. I'd be interested if
you
discover
that one does exist, though...
<shrug>
If I could find one, I'd not be asking here.
You have more clues to go on than when you started, though.
Do I?
Perhaps not, then. I do, but I'm only casually interested - not enough
to go Googling.
I changed my mind. Googling - with the path name as a search term - led
me to this page: http://j.mp/c2C4fJ, which in turn led me to PhoneView.
Ah. Hmm. Okay, so that's what you do.
Post by zoara
Hopefully it will work for you;
I can't readily work out what the application does. Can you elucidate?
You seem better at understanding this sort of thing.

I see a feature list, but I don't seem able to turn the list of features
into an understanding of `what the bloody thing is /for/; what it does
for the user'.
Post by zoara
http://j.mp/aF6Tig
Surely it'd be better to paste in the full url, for the sake of those of
us who don't much like being redirected like that, and for the sake of
the day when that shortcut url no longer works?

<http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/instructions.html?show=notes>

Simple cut and paste: less work for you and better for your readers.
Post by zoara
Costs money though.
It seems to be an application which is charged at /far/ too high a price
for the single ability I'm after - especially given that I can get text
onto the iPod touch using Mail.app for `free' (or rather, included in
the price of the OS).

Rowland.
zoara
2010-05-16 03:37:53 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by zoara
Perhaps not, then. I do, but I'm only casually interested - not enough
to go Googling.
I changed my mind. Googling - with the path name as a search term - led
me to this page: http://j.mp/c2C4fJ, which in turn led me to
PhoneView.
Ah. Hmm. Okay, so that's what you do.
Sorry?
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Hopefully it will work for you;
I can't readily work out what the application does. Can you
elucidate?
You seem better at understanding this sort of thing.
I see a feature list, but I don't seem able to turn the list of features
into an understanding of `what the bloody thing is /for/; what it does
for the user'.
I suspect that if you can't work it out from the page, I won't be able
to help you. I did the googling for you, I'm not going to download and
try the software out for you. There's a free demo...
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
http://j.mp/aF6Tig
Surely it'd be better to paste in the full url, for the sake of those of
us who don't much like being redirected like that, and for the sake of
the day when that shortcut url no longer works?
<http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/instructions.html?show=notes>
Simple cut and paste: less work for you and better for your readers.
I can't cut and paste between my work PC and my iPhone. Sorry.

Besides, what value are those links to any future reader? The first one
was to show you that the file path was actually of some use despite your
scoffing, and the second was to direct you straight to the page on note
syncing; any future reader can simply google for Phone View itself.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Costs money though.
It seems to be an application which is charged at /far/ too high a price
for the single ability I'm after - especially given that I can get text
onto the iPod touch using Mail.app for `free' (or rather, included in
the price of the OS).
It's your choice. You said you weren't happy with doing it through Mail;
I have found you an option to do it without using Mail. You can either
use Mail for free, use Phone View, or find another option yourself.
There's probably more out there but I'm not going to Google any more for
you - I've proved the point that the file path was useful, so I'm done.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-14 12:37:26 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Hmm - righto. One might have thought that someone might have written
an app that'll write to the standard notes file that gets synched.
But
if not, so it goes.
That's a thought, but I wouldn't know. I'd be interested if you discover
that one does exist, though...
<shrug>
If I could find one, I'd not be asking here.
You have more clues to go on than when you started, though.
Do I?
Perhaps not, then. I do, but I'm only casually interested - not enough
to go Googling.
<shrug> You've got the clues to go hunting with your nose; you've given
me one clue that I can apparently use to find something useful.

I have Googled for the path in question.

/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Notes.mbox

and

~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Notes.mbox/Messages

And I've not found any mention of an application to do what I want.

And now - well, short of spending a day looking through thousands of
hits, I don't see any good way to sniff out what I want. Oh yes I've
tried a few variations on the above themes, adding terms that seemed
useful. No joy.

<http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Notes.mbox/Me
ssages&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=9DF&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:offi
cial&start=20&sa=N>

<http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=1GF&r
ls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=%2FLibrary%2FMail%2FMailboxes%2FNote
s.mbox&btnG=Search>
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
The path of
the file they're written to is probably worth plugging into Google, for
instance.
<puzzled> Really? Why's that, then?
Presumably software that writes to that file will be mentioned on the
same page as that file's path is mentioned.
I find that it's not at all usual for software authors to go into any
kind of detail like that on the Web pages they put up about their
software.

I can't think of any software that I use which tells me about the files
it writes to in that kind of detail on the `download page' - not even
LaTeX stuff, which *does* contain that kind of information in the files
you download (if only because LaTeX stuff is mostly human-readable
computer-interpretable ASCII text...)

Rowland.
zoara
2010-05-16 03:37:53 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Rowland McDonnell
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Hmm - righto. One might have thought that someone might
have
written
an app that'll write to the standard notes file that gets synched.
But
if not, so it goes.
That's a thought, but I wouldn't know. I'd be interested if
you
discover
that one does exist, though...
<shrug>
If I could find one, I'd not be asking here.
You have more clues to go on than when you started, though.
Do I?
Perhaps not, then. I do, but I'm only casually interested - not enough
to go Googling.
<shrug> You've got the clues to go hunting with your nose; you've given
me one clue that I can apparently use to find something useful.
I have been given no more clues than you.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I have Googled for the path in question.
/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Notes.mbox
and
~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Notes.mbox/Messages
And I've not found any mention of an application to do what I want.
And now - well, short of spending a day looking through thousands of
hits, I don't see any good way to sniff out what I want. Oh yes I've
tried a few variations on the above themes, adding terms that seemed
useful. No joy.
<http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Notes.mbox/Me
ssages&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=9DF&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:offi
cial&start=20&sa=N>
<http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=1GF&r
ls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=%2FLibrary%2FMail%2FMailboxes%2FNote
s.mbox&btnG=Search>
It's not exactly surprising that you couldn't find anything if you
googled for the path and nothing else. You need to give Google a bit
more of a clue as to what you're after!
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
The path of
the file they're written to is probably worth plugging into
Google,
for
instance.
<puzzled> Really? Why's that, then?
Presumably software that writes to that file will be mentioned on the
same page as that file's path is mentioned.
I find that it's not at all usual for software authors to go into any
kind of detail like that on the Web pages they put up about their
software.
I can't think of any software that I use which tells me about the files
it writes to in that kind of detail on the `download page' - not even
LaTeX stuff, which *does* contain that kind of information in the files
you download (if only because LaTeX stuff is mostly human-readable
computer-interpretable ASCII text...)
I never said anything about software authors putting that info on their
pages. I said "Presumably software that writes to that file will be
mentioned on the same page as that file's path is mentioned." It doesn't
matter who mentions it, it's just a reasonable bet that someone will
mention both on the same page.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-17 06:54:21 UTC
[snip]
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
<shrug> You've got the clues to go hunting with your nose; you've given
me one clue that I can apparently use to find something useful.
I have been given no more clues than you.
Yes indeed - and you have the sort of mind, training, experience, and
background information that enables you to use that information in ways
that I cannot.

[snip usual crap]

Never mind - you've just gone into `tosser' mode again.

Rowland.
zoara
2010-05-18 12:48:52 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
[snip]
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
<shrug> You've got the clues to go hunting with your nose; you've given
me one clue that I can apparently use to find something useful.
I have been given no more clues than you.
Yes indeed - and you have the sort of mind, training, experience, and
background information that enables you to use that information in ways
that I cannot.
Maybe the rest, but training? I've certainly not been on a "How to use
Google" training course - have you seen the prices they charge?
Post by Rowland McDonnell
[snip usual crap]
Never mind - you've just gone into `tosser' mode again.
Sigh.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-19 10:18:31 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
[snip]
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
<shrug> You've got the clues to go hunting with your nose; you've given
me one clue that I can apparently use to find something useful.
I have been given no more clues than you.
Yes indeed - and you have the sort of mind, training, experience, and
background information that enables you to use that information in ways
that I cannot.
Maybe the rest, but training? I've certainly not been on a "How to use
Google" training course - have you seen the prices they charge?
<sigh>

Missing the point deliberately as usual. No way to enable communication
with you when you've decided to take that line - just closing your mind
and sneering at me.

I really don't understand that behaviour pattern, I really don't - but I
do know that it's despicable of you.
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
[snip usual crap]
Never mind - you've just gone into `tosser' mode again.
Sigh.
<sigh>

Of course, you've got to put little snide digs in like that, you can't
even try to deal with human issue decently, can you?

Nope, just snide sneering directed at Rowland to put him down and insult
him, that's your default angle, innit?

What a bunch of total fucking shits we have here, eh?

Rowland.
zoara
2010-05-19 13:09:10 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Yes indeed - and you have the sort of mind, training, experience, and
background information that enables you to use that information in ways
that I cannot.
Maybe the rest, but training? I've certainly not been on a "How to use
Google" training course - have you seen the prices they charge?
<sigh>
Missing the point deliberately as usual.
It was a joke...

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-19 13:59:41 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Yes indeed - and you have the sort of mind, training, experience, and
background information that enables you to use that information in ways
that I cannot.
Maybe the rest, but training? I've certainly not been on a "How to use
Google" training course - have you seen the prices they charge?
<sigh>
Missing the point deliberately as usual.
It was a joke...
<sigh>

Oh dear. Have you heard of smileys?

No?

No, seemingly not.

It's always a good idea, you know: it's hard to spot the difference
between your normal bizarre and inexplicable comments which you mean to
be taken seriously and your bizarre and inexplicable comments which you
mean to be taken as jokes.

If you fail to put smileys on, you'll find that your attempts at humour
will be missed by many. Of course your immediate urge at this point
will be to insult me for failing to get the joke - I advise you against
such a course of action because it's just annoying for all here.

Rowland.
zoara
2010-05-19 22:13:26 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
If you fail to put smileys on, you'll find that your attempts at humour
will be missed by many.
Good - that makes it funnier.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-22 11:36:38 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
If you fail to put smileys on, you'll find that your attempts at humour
will be missed by many.
Good - that makes it funnier.
So you *ARE* a vile rude piece of shit.

What makes disgusting creatures like you tick, zoara? I cannot
understand the urge to make the world a worse place everywhere go you -
but it's what you do.

Why? What sickness of mind afflicts you?

Rowland.
zoara
2010-05-22 23:39:13 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
If you fail to put smileys on, you'll find that your attempts at humour
will be missed by many.
Good - that makes it funnier.
So you *ARE* a vile rude piece of shit.
If you met me in person you'd realise I'm actually a very polite and
considerate piece of shit.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-23 12:42:44 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
If you fail to put smileys on, you'll find that your attempts at humour
will be missed by many.
Good - that makes it funnier.
So you *ARE* a vile rude piece of shit.
If you met me in person you'd realise I'm actually a very polite and
considerate piece of shit.
Vile and rude in this forum, though.

btw, the future does not hold any real-life meetings between me and
anyone here. Just how stupid do you think I am, eh?

Nah, I've no interest in socializing with you nasty-minded tossers.

I like having a nice time, and I have no intention of going out so I can
be insulted by a group of vicious nasty-minded little shits like you and
your mates.

Rowland.
David Kennedy
2010-05-24 13:34:53 UTC
Post by zoara
If you met me in person you'd realise I'm actually a very polite and
considerate piece of shit.
You're not too quick on the uptake though are you?
--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
zoara
2010-05-24 14:58:22 UTC
Post by David Kennedy
Post by zoara
If you met me in person you'd realise I'm actually a very polite and
considerate piece of shit.
You're not too quick on the uptake though are you?
I'm quick on the uptake, I just have very little willpower. I can resist
everything except temptation. I wish the killfiles on this damn phone
worked properly (it's coming in an update) but I'm stopping now. Sorry
guv *doffs cap*

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
David Kennedy
2010-05-24 16:26:02 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by David Kennedy
Post by zoara
If you met me in person you'd realise I'm actually a very polite and
considerate piece of shit.
You're not too quick on the uptake though are you?
I'm quick on the uptake, I just have very little willpower. I can resist
everything except temptation. I wish the killfiles on this damn phone
worked properly (it's coming in an update) but I'm stopping now. Sorry
guv *doffs cap*
Can't you staple a memo to your hand?

zoara

email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Pd
2010-05-19 22:57:44 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
It's always a good idea, you know: it's hard to spot the difference
between your normal bizarre and inexplicable comments which you mean to
be taken seriously and your bizarre and inexplicable comments which you
mean to be taken as jokes.
zoara's usually bizarre, but yet to be inexplicable.
And does he really, deep down, take anything seriously?
:-)
(-:
^-^
Pd
zoara
2010-05-20 15:19:02 UTC
Post by Pd
Post by Rowland McDonnell
It's always a good idea, you know: it's hard to spot the difference
between your normal bizarre and inexplicable comments which you mean to
be taken seriously and your bizarre and inexplicable comments which you
mean to be taken as jokes.
zoara's usually bizarre, but yet to be inexplicable.
Aw, I wanna be inexplicable.
Post by Pd
And does he really, deep down, take anything seriously?
:-)
^-^
I take the overuse of smileys VERY seriously. Nothing else, though.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
zoara
2010-05-06 22:49:59 UTC
Post by Woody
<snip usual rowland drivel>
£15

-z-

(I could do with a similar incentive)
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-09 00:08:15 UTC
[snip]
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I really do not like this way of working - can't even save the bloody
things to file or anything.
They are saved to a file in ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Notes.mbox/Messages
What mechanism puts them there? That is, when do they get saved?
Either during an iTunes sync when you plug in your iPod (assuming it
automatically syncs) or if you have a mobile.me account, whenever the
notes get updated and the checking period has expired (I don't know how
often that is, but it seems to happen quickly).
Not the question I asked.

[snip]
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I find the contempt with which you treat me bloody annoying, Woody.
Oh get over yourself. Go sort it out yourself, I don't know why I even
bother.
I don't know why you bother insulting me and putting me down so much
either - why do you behave so badly, Woody?
I don't know, why do you behave so badly, Rowland? If you stopped it
then maybe it would be a bit nicer here? but no, you wont.
That, Woody, is a prime example of your bad behaviour - if you want
things to be `nicer' as you put it, I suggest that you stop behaving
like such a fucking shit.

<shrug>

But you're an arrogant hypocrite who won't ever admit that he's in the
wrong, will you?

You'll just carry on behaving the same - abusive, hypocritical,
unapologetic for your bad behaviour, and always finding time (due to
your unhealthy obsession with me) to fire off another insult in my
direction.

And for some reason, you think this is acceptable behaviour. Well, it's
not.
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
I am fed up of you ranting and raving at people being abusive when they
are trying to help you fix the things that you can't get to work because
you are just to damn stupid to work it out yourself.
Riiight... Well, I'm fed up with you insulting me with bullshit like
that.
Why do it, Woody? Why hurl all these bullshit insults at me?
As you know, I'm complaining about your abusiveness towards me - not
doing what your abusive lies allege.
And I am complaining about yoru abusiveness to me,
No, you're just insulting me out of the blue, and now doing so in a
deeply hypocritical fashion.
Post by Woody
and many other people
on this group.
<sigh>

The usual tired old abusive nonsense.

Woody, you're so bloody obsessed with me that you've let on that you
discuss me with your missus!

You're deeply hypocritical, given that you have the gall to complain
about me responding in reasonable fashion to the personal abuse that I
get off you and others.

[snip]
Post by Woody
<snip usual rowland drivel>
Such as personal abuse like that - now, do you have any basis for your
hypocritical insinuations about me, eh?

You *allege*, in your deeply hypocritical way, that there's something
about the words you snipped that was `drive' - that's an insult, Woody.

For which the epithet `vicious bastard' might be a good one - because it
is a viciously nasty thing to throw in like that, aimed at belittling
me.

You shit.

And that's not gratuitious personal abuse, Woody, it's an HONEST
response to your shit.

You might try decent, honest behaviour one day, Woody.

You might find that changing your behaviour towards me provides the
`nicer' environment that you seem to crave.

It's up to you, of course - you can carry on provoking me to tell you
what I think of you in a direct and honest fashion by continuing to hurl
nasty personal abuse at me and refusing to apologise for such
shittiness.

Your choice, Woody - I'm sick of your obsessive hounding of me.

I mean, you discuss me with your missus[1], you have to get her to tell
you not to rise to the bait!!!!

What's wrong with you, Woody?

Rowland.

[1] Unless I've got your childish net alias confused with someone
else's - I'm okay with real names, but childish net aliases aren't so
easy to keep separated in my mind.
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-05 22:18:11 UTC
Woody <***@alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Seems a bit of a pain, having to use Mail.app for the job, if only
because you've got to set up an email account to run Mail.app at all[1].
Can you set up a dummy one? you can set it to not check.
[snip]

Doesn't work.

Plugged in iPod Touch.

Told iTunes to sync notes, not sync email.

Hit the `sync' button.

iTunes told me it had to `replace' or `merge' information, I told it to
`merge', iTunes immediately changed my preferences to `No sync notes' -
and failed to sync notes.

iTunes 9.1.1, MacOS X 10.6.3, all latest updates applied to everything.

Ho hum. It seems that Apple only wants you to use notes for things that
Apple wants you to use them for, and I don't know what that is.

Anyone got a clue how to use `notes' and get them transferred to an iPod
Touch from iTunes on a MacOS X 10.6 iMac?

The obvious method doesn't work.

Rowland.
zoara
2010-05-06 13:43:16 UTC
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I've got an iPod touch and I'd like to stick a text note on it from a
Mac.
I've looked in iTunes help to see if the job's do-able, and drawn a
blank.
The iTunes UI shows a `Sync notes' entry - can anyone explain what it
does?
It syncs the notes that you can make within mail with the notepad on the
iPod.
Hmm - is there no other way of getting `notes' onto an iPod?
I am sure there must be some other applications that do note sync but I
have never used any.
Simplenote syncs with notational velocity and notebook syncs with
toodledo.com - and there are plenty of others (free and paid) in the app
store.

Or there's pastebot, which allows you to copy-paste between Mac and
iPod/iPhone...

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Tim Hodgson
2010-05-06 13:57:32 UTC
Post by zoara
Or there's pastebot, which allows you to copy-paste between Mac and
iPod/iPhone...
Now that looks interesting...
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email
zoara
2010-05-06 22:17:39 UTC
Post by Tim Hodgson
Post by zoara
Or there's pastebot, which allows you to copy-paste between Mac and
iPod/iPhone...
Now that looks interesting...
I can recommend it, as it works really well. I don't use it often but
when I do it is very helpful.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Mark
2010-05-06 22:11:43 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
[...]
+1 for SimpleNote. Free, syncs with cloud/SimpleNote website (OTA anywhere,
not WiFi), and there are three third-party desktop apps (to use as a conduit
to the website, instead of using a browser).

Cheers ... Mark
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-09 00:08:17 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
I've got an iPod touch and I'd like to stick a text note on it from a
Mac.
I've looked in iTunes help to see if the job's do-able, and drawn a
blank.
The iTunes UI shows a `Sync notes' entry - can anyone explain what it
does?
It syncs the notes that you can make within mail with the notepad on the
iPod.
Hmm - is there no other way of getting `notes' onto an iPod?
I am sure there must be some other applications that do note sync but I
have never used any.
Simplenote syncs with notational velocity
What does that mean?
Post by zoara
and notebook syncs with
toodledo.com
Erm, not wanting to be awkward, but I was hoping for something that
permitted notes to be written on a Mac and transferred to an iPod Touch
while also keeping the data private. And that means `not on the 'net'.
Post by zoara
- and there are plenty of others (free and paid) in the app
store.
Doesn't that just sell apps to run on the iPod Touch/iPhone?
Post by zoara
Or there's pastebot, which allows you to copy-paste between Mac and
iPod/iPhone...
I want to be able to transfer notes from Mac to iPod/iPhone. Not sure
what pasting between the two gadgets means - can anyone explain?

Rowland.
zoara
2010-05-09 10:42:18 UTC
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Post by Woody
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Rowland McDonnell
Post by Rowland McDonnell
[...]
Two apps. Google for more info.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
and notebook syncs with
toodledo.com
Erm, not wanting to be awkward, but I was hoping for something that
permitted notes to be written on a Mac and transferred to an iPod Touch
while also keeping the data private. And that means `not on the 'net'.
Fair enough.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
- and there are plenty of others (free and paid) in the app
store.
Doesn't that just sell apps to run on the iPod Touch/iPhone?
Yup. But you download a companion app for the Mac, either from the same
vendor or someone else. Best to start at the app store as they will say
what Mac apps or services they sync with. The reverse is often not the
case; Notebook mentions ToodleDo, but ToodleDo doesn't mention Notebook.
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Or there's pastebot, which allows you to copy-paste between Mac and
iPod/iPhone...
I want to be able to transfer notes from Mac to iPod/iPhone. Not sure
what pasting between the two gadgets means - can anyone explain?
Running Pastebot on the iPod will copy the iPod's clipboard contents to
the Mac. Adding something to the Mac clipboard when Pastebot is running
will copy that data to the iPod's clipboard.

Not useful for full-on syncing, but might help if you only want to
transfer the contents of a handful of notes.

-z-
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
Pd
2010-05-09 21:36:11 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Erm, not wanting to be awkward, but I was hoping for something that
permitted notes to be written on a Mac and transferred to an iPod Touch
while also keeping the data private. And that means `not on the 'net'.
Fair enough.
Can't you print your notes to PDF and put those on the iPod/iPhone?
That's how my wife carries documents she wants access to. I think she
might use an app to do transfer them though, but I know it doesn't go
through a website or online repository.
Pd
Rowland McDonnell
2010-05-09 23:13:35 UTC
[snip]
Post by zoara
Post by Rowland McDonnell
Post by zoara
Or there's pastebot, which allows you to copy-paste between Mac and
iPod/iPhone...
I want to be able to transfer notes from Mac to iPod/iPhone. Not sure
what pasting between the two gadgets means - can anyone explain?
Running Pastebot on the iPod will copy the iPod's clipboard contents to
the Mac. Adding something to the Mac clipboard when Pastebot is running
will copy that data to the iPod's clipboard.
Not useful for full-on syncing, but might help if you only want to
transfer the contents of a handful of notes.
Righto - ta.

I think it'd be easier to do it via Mail.app than that method.

Rowland.