(For Mac OS X Panther) What do you guys read for newsgroups
Chris
2004-06-08 23:50:56 UTC
My ISP is Telewest Blueyonder.

When I read usenet I just use www.google.com and click on groups.

Is there a good program for Mac?

thanks
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-09 00:07:18 UTC
Post by Chris
When I read usenet I just use www.google.com and click on groups.
Is there a good program for Mac?
MacSoup. I'm using it now, and I like it. It's an off line reader, which
is different. But much more leisurely...
Peter
Colin Robinson

Norwich
Chris Ridd
2004-06-09 07:44:25 UTC
Post by Colin Robinson
Post by Peter Ceresole
Post by Chris
When I read usenet I just use www.google.com and click on groups.
Is there a good program for Mac?
MacSoup. I'm using it now, and I like it. It's an off line reader, which
is different. But much more leisurely...
Seconded
CR
Norwich
If you go for Office, the included Entourage can also do news.

Cheers,

Chris
Ian Robinson
2004-06-09 07:26:59 UTC
Post by Chris
Is there a good program for Mac?
Hogwasher, MacSoup, Unison, others...

I use Hogwasher. Love it.

Ian
--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK - <http://www.canicula.com>
Soapbox - <http://homepage.mac.com/ianrobinson/index.html>
Hugh Browton
2004-06-09 08:07:54 UTC
Post by Ian Robinson
Post by Chris
Is there a good program for Mac?
Hogwasher, MacSoup, Unison, others...
I use Hogwasher. Love it.
and again!
--
regards
hugh
(by the sea) (using Hogwasher)
Phil Turton
2004-06-09 09:03:15 UTC
Post by Ian Robinson
Hogwasher, MacSoup, Unison, others...
I use Hogwasher. Love it.
I'm using Unison. One thing about it really annoys me - the way it
leaves the heading for messages that are no longer available on the
server. If there's a way of changing this, I'd be delighted to be
enlightened.

Phil
Stroller
2004-06-11 22:02:09 UTC
Post by Phil Turton
Post by Ian Robinson
Hogwasher, MacSoup, Unison, others...
I use Hogwasher. Love it.
I'm using Unison. One thing about it really annoys me - the way it
leaves the heading for messages that are no longer available on the
server. If there's a way of changing this, I'd be delighted to be
enlightened.
Apple menu > Unison > Empty Message Cache. This works great when your
news server is on the same LAN, but I can imagine it could be a bit
frustrating if a modem was between you & it.

Stroller.
Gary
2004-06-10 06:56:23 UTC
Post by Ian Robinson
Hogwasher, MacSoup, Unison, others...
I use Hogwasher. Love it.
Ian
I've tried loads of mac newsreaders but keep coming back to hogwasher
for high volume groups. For smaller ones, I tend to use thunderfox.
--
Remove stars for email
g*a*r*y*@*k*l*i*n*g*o*n*.*o*r*g*.*u*k*
zoara
2004-06-09 10:05:29 UTC
Post by Chris
My ISP is Telewest Blueyonder.
When I read usenet I just use www.google.com and click on groups.
Is there a good program for Mac?
There are *loads*, each with their fans and detractors. Since this
question comes up a lot, you can check the archives:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E56936388

Also, the best place for software is http://www.versiontracker.com

Me? MacSOUP. Nothing comes close.

-zoara-

[1] Full URL:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=newsreader+group%3Auk.comp.sys.mac&ie=
ISO-8859-1&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search
--
"Analogies are like Vegemite sandwiches in a paper bag."
-- PeterD, uk.comp.sys.mac
gp
2004-06-09 19:06:02 UTC
Post by zoara
Me? MacSOUP. Nothing comes close.
except if you're on a laptop like me, and don't have a numeric keyboard,
in which case navigation isn't a one-handed activity. I hear that Jenny
McCarthy is very good at that...

gp
unknown
2004-06-10 03:39:12 UTC
Post by gp
Post by zoara
Me? MacSOUP. Nothing comes close.
except if you're on a laptop like me, and don't have a numeric keyboard,
in which case navigation isn't a one-handed activity.
I use the arrow keys on my iboko.

Lara
Hugh Chaloner
2004-06-10 10:30:57 UTC
Post by unknown
I use the arrow keys on my iboko.
My up and down arrows don't do anything useful though - am I missing
some setting or other?
www.magic-hush.com | email on website
SM
2004-06-10 11:49:19 UTC
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Post by unknown
I use the arrow keys on my iboko.
My up and down arrows don't do anything useful though - am I missing
some setting or other?
I use the numerics for moving around the threads and the up & down
arrows for scrolling long posts

Stuart
http://www.sundog.co.uk - cut that out to reply
Hugh Chaloner
2004-06-10 20:49:07 UTC
Post by SM
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Post by unknown
I use the arrow keys on my iboko.
My up and down arrows don't do anything useful though - am I missing
some setting or other?
I use the numerics for moving around the threads and the up & down
arrows for scrolling long posts
There are no numerics on a powerbook, unless of course you switch on num
lock, which is the most useless feature on a powerbook if you ask me.
www.magic-hush.com | email on website
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-10 21:09:28 UTC
Post by Hugh Chaloner
There are no numerics on a powerbook, unless of course you switch on num
lock, which is the most useless feature on a powerbook if you ask me.
?

On my TiBoko, I just use the number keys... They work.
Peter
Chris Ridd
2004-06-11 05:51:23 UTC
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Post by SM
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Post by unknown
I use the arrow keys on my iboko.
My up and down arrows don't do anything useful though - am I missing
some setting or other?
I use the numerics for moving around the threads and the up & down
arrows for scrolling long posts
There are no numerics on a powerbook, unless of course you switch on num
lock, which is the most useless feature on a powerbook if you ask me.
You can of course also hold down Fn while typing the marked keys
(7890-uiopjkl;m./) Still not terrifically usable, but perhaps more usable
then using Num Lock!

Cheers,

Chris
SM
2004-06-11 08:59:47 UTC
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Post by SM
I use the numerics for moving around the threads and the up & down
arrows for scrolling long posts
There are no numerics on a powerbook, unless of course you switch on num
lock, which is the most useless feature on a powerbook if you ask me.
You can of course also hold down Fn while typing the marked keys
(7890-uiopjkl;m./) Still not terrifically usable, but perhaps more usable
then using Num Lock!
LOL! I tried the function numbers on an iBook whilst visualising the
normal numeric keys - um, to go diagonally down, um, 2, ah there it is,
hold Fn key etc. I suppose you could learn it - probably a good brain
excersise.

Perhaps someone could make MacSoup work with ViaVoice - "branch off
down!" "turn left!" "scratch that!"

Stuart
http://www.sundog.co.uk - cut that out to reply
Jon B
2004-06-11 09:18:38 UTC
Post by SM
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Post by SM
I use the numerics for moving around the threads and the up & down
arrows for scrolling long posts
There are no numerics on a powerbook, unless of course you switch on num
lock, which is the most useless feature on a powerbook if you ask me.
You can of course also hold down Fn while typing the marked keys
(7890-uiopjkl;m./) Still not terrifically usable, but perhaps more usable
then using Num Lock!
LOL! I tried the function numbers on an iBook whilst visualising the
normal numeric keys - um, to go diagonally down, um, 2, ah there it is,
hold Fn key etc. I suppose you could learn it - probably a good brain
excersise.
I found it quite quick to learn, I tried for all of about 5mins with the
num lock, as several MacSoup functions need the num lock turned off,
then back on to go through the thread, then off to type a reply, then
back on to continue, aah. Personally I find the fn and numberics much
easier to get along with.
--
Jon
Remove "usenetspam" from address above to reply
SM
2004-06-11 09:37:13 UTC
Post by Jon B
I found it quite quick to learn, I tried for all of about 5mins with the
num lock, as several MacSoup functions need the num lock turned off,
then back on to go through the thread, then off to type a reply, then
back on to continue, aah. Personally I find the fn and numberics much
easier to get along with.
I think it's that I never normally use the Fn numbers on the iBook, and
that they're skewed compared to a numeric pad on a normal keyboard.

Stuart
http://www.sundog.co.uk - cut that out to reply
Sir Chewbury Gubbins
2004-06-14 15:09:21 UTC
Post by SM
Post by Hugh Chaloner
Post by unknown
I use the arrow keys on my iboko.
My up and down arrows don't do anything useful though - am I missing
some setting or other?
I use the numerics for moving around the threads and the up & down
arrows for scrolling long posts
MacSoup is cool - you can read news with your nob (assuming you have
one). Space-> Page down, Space-> Next article, Space->next group :)

Only other combination I ever need is command-E to mark a thread read -
comes in handy during demon.local invasions :)

Choobs
--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins <***@nelefa.org>
Knight of the Wholly Gnarly Widget - http://www.nelefa.org
- Me, just now.
Jon B
2004-06-10 10:32:24 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by gp
Post by zoara
Me? MacSOUP. Nothing comes close.
except if you're on a laptop like me, and don't have a numeric keyboard,
in which case navigation isn't a one-handed activity.
I use the arrow keys on my iboko.
Yeah but if you want to drop diagonally or down a thread as they often
do in MacSoup then you need the numerics, thought at least once you've
got into the fnc key habbit it isn't too bad
unknown
2004-06-10 11:19:36 UTC
Post by Jon B
Post by unknown
I use the arrow keys on my iboko.
Yeah but if you want to drop diagonally or down a thread as they often
do in MacSoup then you need the numerics, thought at least once you've
got into the fnc key habbit it isn't too bad
*mimes keyboard actions* *thwacks forehead*
You're right, you need at least the 2 key as well. Still not an
intrinsically two-handed activity (no modifier keys required), but the
hand travel is a bit back-and-forth if you're doing it one-handed.

If you're a tagger, I believe you can read right through a newsgroup
with Space and/or Enter only.

Lara
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-10 11:31:43 UTC
Post by unknown
If you're a tagger, I believe you can read right through a newsgroup
with Space and/or Enter only.
Even if you don't tag (I go Cmd-A Cmd-T almost as a reflex) you only
need the Space and Enter keys to read everything in order. If you tag,
it's just Space.
Peter
zoara
2004-06-10 11:22:09 UTC
Post by gp
Post by zoara
Me? MacSOUP. Nothing comes close.
except if you're on a laptop like me, and don't have a numeric keyboard,
in which case navigation isn't a one-handed activity.
It isn't? I'm on a laptop and don't even *know* what the numeric keypad
is for (in MacSOUP). I don't miss it - spacebar is pretty much all you
need.
Post by gp
I hear that Jenny McCarthy is very good at that...
*not asking*

-z-
--
"Analogies are like Vegemite sandwiches in a paper bag."
-- PeterD, uk.comp.sys.mac
David Glover
2004-06-09 11:33:08 UTC
Post by Chris
Is there a good program for Mac?
I like Mozilla Thunderbird - mainly because it's free. :)

Download:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/0.6/thunderbird-0.6-macosx.dmg.gz
Peter Hayes
2004-06-09 19:10:10 UTC
Post by David Glover
Post by Chris
Is there a good program for Mac?
I like Mozilla Thunderbird - mainly because it's free. :)
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/0.6/thunderbird-0.6-macosx.dmg.gz
Seconded, also works on jaguar and you can use the same program on
Windows if you have to live on the dark side.

PH
Flavio Matani
2004-06-09 14:17:30 UTC
Post by Chris
My ISP is Telewest Blueyonder.
When I read usenet I just use www.google.com and click on groups.
Is there a good program for Mac?
i am using MacSoup and although the interface is a bit strange at times
it is a good off-line reader so i can reply to this while away from the
internet waiting for my next vict-er, guitar pupil....

don't know what the state of blueyonder newsgroups may be as i don't use
them; i tend to use 'that' German news server whose name again escapes
me... yep, news.individual.net. You have to go to their web page and
register, if i remember correctly.
--
flavio matani
guitar tuition
homepage.mac.com/flavio_matani/guitar/
Andy Hewitt
2004-06-09 17:50:34 UTC
Post by Chris
My ISP is Telewest Blueyonder.
When I read usenet I just use www.google.com and click on groups.
Is there a good program for Mac?
thanks
MacSOUP here.

However, I suggest a look around www.macorchard.com and try some for
yourself.

It's also worth looking up the Unix stuff too, install X11 and get a
copy of Pan and Knode.
--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
http://www.thehewitts.plus.com - now online
Peter Hayes
2004-06-09 18:42:41 UTC
Post by Chris
My ISP is Telewest Blueyonder.
When I read usenet I just use www.google.com and click on groups.
Is there a good program for Mac?
When I got my PowerBook I tried every newsreader out there.

I'm on dialup so an offline newsreader is essential. Of all those I
tried MacSOUP seemed the best. The interface is odd, but you get used to
it and the threading display is superb.
Peter
SM
2004-06-10 11:49:19 UTC
Post by Peter Hayes
I'm on dialup so an offline newsreader is essential. Of all those I
tried MacSOUP seemed the best. The interface is odd, but you get used to
it and the threading display is superb.
I've found that thread display actually *becomes* usenet - IYSWIM

Stuart
http://www.sundog.co.uk - cut that out to reply
zoara
2004-06-11 18:59:13 UTC
Post by SM
Post by Peter Hayes
I'm on dialup so an offline newsreader is essential. Of all those I
tried MacSOUP seemed the best. The interface is odd, but you get used to
it and the threading display is superb.
I've found that thread display actually *becomes* usenet - IYSWIM
Whoa. Profound.

-z-
--
"Analogies are like Vegemite sandwiches in a paper bag."
-- PeterD, uk.comp.sys.mac
SM
2004-06-11 19:46:04 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by SM
I've found that thread display actually *becomes* usenet - IYSWIM
Whoa. Profound.
no doubt

Stuart
http://www.sundog.co.uk - cut that out to reply
Carol Hague
2004-06-10 15:56:13 UTC
Post by Peter Hayes
I'm on dialup so an offline newsreader is essential. Of all those I
tried MacSOUP seemed the best. The interface is odd, but you get used to
it and the threading display is superb.
I've noticed several people now saying that the MacSoup interface is
odd. I've used nothing else for about eight years now, so it seems
perfectly normal to me - what are the odd things about it? (I'm not
being sarky here- I'm genuinely interested)

I've tried other readers occasionally, but Soup is the only offline
reader I've tried that actually *is* an offline reader rather than an
online reader with offline capability bolted on in some obscure
place....
Carol
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-10 19:36:44 UTC
Post by Carol Hague
I've noticed several people now saying that the MacSoup interface is
odd. I've used nothing else for about eight years now, so it seems
perfectly normal to me - what are the odd things about it? (I'm not
being sarky here- I'm genuinely interested)
I've used other offline readers in the past (but mainly NewsHopper from
OS 7.1.2 to OS 9.2.2 and Classic) and the main MacSoup curiosity is the
use of single letter presses without modifier keys as operational
commands. It's all perfectly logical- once you've caught on to the
logic. But it's a modal question- other apps, including some like
Eudora, use modifier keys even when strictly speaking you could use the
plain letter press, because the state it's in means the letter press
wouldn't do anything. But the use of a modifier key keeps the
'operational' keypresses distinguished from the 'writing' keypresses.

Soup doesn't do this. Okay once you know and it doesn't take that long
to learn. But it reminds me of using some Unix apps ported to MSDOS; I
learnt to use those too, but it never felt totally natural.
Peter
Carol Hague
2004-06-11 06:22:53 UTC
Post by Peter Ceresole
Post by Carol Hague
I've noticed several people now saying that the MacSoup interface is
odd. I've used nothing else for about eight years now, so it seems
perfectly normal to me - what are the odd things about it? (I'm not
being sarky here- I'm genuinely interested)
I've used other offline readers in the past (but mainly NewsHopper from
OS 7.1.2 to OS 9.2.2 and Classic) and the main MacSoup curiosity is the
use of single letter presses without modifier keys as operational
commands.
<snip>

Thanks for that. Explains why I've never noticed it - I rarely use
keyboard shortcuts and pretty much never with Soup (except Mark All As
Read for non-interesting threads) - when I read a group I just tag
everything and spacebar through. Anything else I use the mouse and
dropdown menus for. I'm crap at remembering stuff like that unless I use
it a lot - so about the only ones I remember are the cut, copy and paste
commands.
--
Carol
"I'm insane. What's *his* excuse?" - Spike, BtVS
zoara
2004-06-11 18:59:14 UTC
Post by Carol Hague
Post by Peter Ceresole
I've used other offline readers in the past (but mainly NewsHopper from
OS 7.1.2 to OS 9.2.2 and Classic) and the main MacSoup curiosity is the
use of single letter presses without modifier keys as operational
commands.
<snip>
Thanks for that. Explains why I've never noticed it - I rarely use
keyboard shortcuts and pretty much never with Soup (except Mark All As
Read for non-interesting threads) - when I read a group I just tag
everything and spacebar through. Anything else I use the mouse and
dropdown menus for. I'm crap at remembering stuff like that unless I use
it a lot - so about the only ones I remember are the cut, copy and paste
commands.
That's interesting, because one of the things I like so much about the
SOUP is that it is *so* keyboard friendly. I don't think I *ever* use
the mouse...

-z-
--
"Analogies are like Vegemite sandwiches in a paper bag."
-- PeterD, uk.comp.sys.mac
Carol Hague
2004-06-11 20:32:13 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Carol Hague
<snip>
Thanks for that. Explains why I've never noticed it - I rarely use
keyboard shortcuts and pretty much never with Soup (except Mark All As
Read for non-interesting threads)
That's interesting, because one of the things I like so much about the
SOUP is that it is *so* keyboard friendly. I don't think I *ever* use
the mouse...
Ah well, I'm a) weird and b) lazy :-)
--
Carol
"You wouldn't like me when I'm happy." - Angel
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-11 20:52:36 UTC
Post by Carol Hague
Post by zoara
That's interesting, because one of the things I like so much about the
SOUP is that it is *so* keyboard friendly. I don't think I *ever* use
the mouse...
Ah well, I'm a) weird and b) lazy :-)
Nah.

I use both the mouse and the keyboard.

I'm mostly lazy.
Peter
Peter Hayes
2004-06-10 20:29:30 UTC
Post by Carol Hague
Post by Peter Hayes
I'm on dialup so an offline newsreader is essential. Of all those I
tried MacSOUP seemed the best. The interface is odd, but you get used to
it and the threading display is superb.
I've noticed several people now saying that the MacSoup interface is
odd. I've used nothing else for about eight years now, so it seems
perfectly normal to me - what are the odd things about it? (I'm not
being sarky here- I'm genuinely interested)
The "oddest" thing is the inability to collapse the article list, as in
any other newsreader I've ever used. This gives me a massive list I have
to scroll through.

The next thing is that if I tag a thread (by hitting <enter> on the
first article) further articles in that thread downloaded later aren't
highlighted so I can't <space> through the thread. Also, the highlight
moves to the first article of the next thread, so to read the thread
I've just highlighted I have to reselect the first article, which may
mean scrolling a long way up the list.

There's more, like no "threads with own articles",. etc.

Of course, maybe I just don't know how to enable these features...
Post by Carol Hague
I've tried other readers occasionally, but Soup is the only offline
reader I've tried that actually *is* an offline reader rather than an
online reader with offline capability bolted on in some obscure
place....
Halime seemed to be a viable alternative. "Seemed", since I believe it's
not supported any more.

Otherwise, yes, there's a lot of online readers out there. Like KNode
and Leafnode. which is my benchmark. OTOH, Leafnode is just **so** slow
at downloading though, whereas MacSOUP is lightning fast, the only other
newsreader to approach its speed is NewsReader for BeOS.
Peter
unknown
2004-06-11 02:17:45 UTC
Peter Hayes <***@seahaze.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[what's odd about MacSOUP?]
Post by Peter Hayes
The next thing is that if I tag a thread (by hitting <enter> on the
first article) further articles in that thread downloaded later aren't
highlighted so I can't <space> through the thread.
Return tags the whole thread. The highlight then moves to the next
thread, but Space still opens the first tagged article up.

The oddest thing, to me, is that closing a compose-article window queues
that article for sending. I would really like a Send button.

Lara
Carol Hague
2004-06-11 06:59:35 UTC
Post by unknown
[what's odd about MacSOUP?]
Post by Peter Hayes
The next thing is that if I tag a thread (by hitting <enter> on the
first article) further articles in that thread downloaded later aren't
highlighted so I can't <space> through the thread.
Return tags the whole thread. The highlight then moves to the next
thread, but Space still opens the first tagged article up.
The oddest thing, to me, is that closing a compose-article window queues
that article for sending. I would really like a Send button.
There's a "don't send yet" option though, in the form of the little
envelope at the top of the window - click that and it gets a cross
through it and the article isn't sent until you click it again to remove
the X.
Peter Hayes
2004-06-12 18:28:21 UTC
Post by Carol Hague
Post by unknown
[what's odd about MacSOUP?]
Post by Peter Hayes
The next thing is that if I tag a thread (by hitting <enter> on the
first article) further articles in that thread downloaded later aren't
highlighted so I can't <space> through the thread.
Return tags the whole thread. The highlight then moves to the next
thread, but Space still opens the first tagged article up.
The oddest thing, to me, is that closing a compose-article window queues
that article for sending. I would really like a Send button.
There's a "don't send yet" option though, in the form of the little
envelope at the top of the window - click that and it gets a cross
through it and the article isn't sent until you click it again to remove
the X.
Yes, tips like that are why I need to re-read the .pdf.

Now, if only MacSOUP would **automatically** wrap to 80 characters,
instead of demanding that I 'Apple-R' before it sends.
Peter
PeterD
2004-06-12 20:06:03 UTC
Post by Peter Hayes
Now, if only MacSOUP would **automatically** wrap to 80 characters,
instead of demanding that I 'Apple-R' before it sends.
Eh? It's a rare post indeed that needs a re-wrap for me. Almost always
they're formatted perfectly. You have to Cmd-R every time?
Pd
Peter Hayes
2004-06-12 23:07:24 UTC
Post by PeterD
Post by Peter Hayes
Now, if only MacSOUP would **automatically** wrap to 80 characters,
instead of demanding that I 'Apple-R' before it sends.
Eh? It's a rare post indeed that needs a re-wrap for me. Almost always
they're formatted perfectly. You have to Cmd-R every time?
No, but after a few contributions to a thread the chevrons add up and
sometimes the line length exceeds 80.

Any other newsreader I've used, mainly KNode and slrn, seem to rewrap
automatically and the idea that I manually have to rewrap seems odd.
Peter
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-13 08:50:15 UTC
Post by Peter Hayes
Any other newsreader I've used, mainly KNode and slrn, seem to rewrap
automatically and the idea that I manually have to rewrap seems odd.
There are circumstances where you don't want to rewrap. It seems to me
that Stefan has chosen to leave that up to the user. Personally I think
it should be a user settable preference- 'Always wrap text'- but anyway
highlight and Cmd-W, for the very few times I've had to do it, isn't a
significant issue.
Peter
Jim
2004-06-13 09:14:54 UTC
Post by Peter Ceresole
highlight and Cmd-W,
Cmd-R, surely?

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
"We deal in the moral equivalent of black holes, where the normal
event horizons there exist ... special circumstances" - Use Of Weapons
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-13 10:08:07 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Peter Ceresole
highlight and Cmd-W,
Cmd-R, surely?
Yes. I haven't been using this program long enough, have I? And I've
only ever had to rewrap twice... I know it so little that in that case I
know I used the menu...

I know... I am unworthy...
Peter
Peter Hayes
2004-06-13 12:34:59 UTC
Post by Peter Ceresole
Post by Peter Hayes
Any other newsreader I've used, mainly KNode and slrn, seem to rewrap
automatically and the idea that I manually have to rewrap seems odd.
There are circumstances where you don't want to rewrap.
Slrn was the most intellegent newsreader I used, it wrapped text but
left long URLs unwrapped - very clever.
Post by Peter Ceresole
It seems to me that Stefan has chosen to leave that up to the user.
I can't find an option to post without wrapping text.
Post by Peter Ceresole
Personally I think
it should be a user settable preference- 'Always wrap text'- but anyway
highlight and Cmd-W, for the very few times I've had to do it, isn't a
significant issue.
If you highlight everything, some of the text can get really mangled. If
you highlight the part where the cursor indicates that the line is too
long, fine, then you find another >80 piece of text, and another, etc
(maybe by that time snippage is called for, but not always).

However, MacSOUP seems to be excellent at extracting URLs from quotes
nested several times.
Peter
zoara
2004-06-13 18:45:30 UTC
Post by Peter Hayes
Now, if only MacSOUP would **automatically** wrap to 80 characters,
instead of demanding that I 'Apple-R' before it sends.
If only it would do format = flowed.

-z-
--
"Analogies are like Vegemite sandwiches in a paper bag."
-- PeterD, uk.comp.sys.mac
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-11 07:29:32 UTC
Post by unknown
The oddest thing, to me, is that closing a compose-article window queues
that article for sending. I would really like a Send button.
It *is* odd, but it's fairly logical. I mean you can suspend it to send
some other time, but mostly you want to close it and send it (queue it).
So the close command does the logical thing.

However, it's a command that's extensively used in another way, in all
other apps, and however clear the logic I agree with you that it's a
bloody nuisance. I've had no trouble remembering it, from my first
session onwards, but I think that this is because it's *so* out of line
that it intrudes on my memory.

The other thing, that irritates me far more, is that if I am reading a
lot of articles and skip on, then want to go back and find an article
I've just looked at, I find it absolutely impossible to find my way
through the 'already read articles' list. I have the display set to date
order and group by thread. Because of the bloody sub-threading, articles
*don't* appear in the thread list in the order in which they were
received- which is what I remember. NewsHopper also marked articles
which had been newly read in that session with a grey bullet, which
disappeared when you downloaded any more articles. It was incredibly
useful. I miss it a lot. The thread map however is, for me, a total
waste of time. I never actually use it. I keep it up there because I
have a decently large screen and for curiosity value, but that's all.

The other things are okay. So; idiosyncratic, not always great, but hell
I can live with it.
Peter
PeterD
2004-06-11 08:14:19 UTC
NewsHopper also marked articles which had been newly read in that session
with a grey bullet, which disappeared when you downloaded any more
articles. It was incredibly useful. I miss it a lot.
Oh yeah! I'd forgotten that, and it *was* bloody useful.
The thread map however is, for me, a total waste of time. I never actually
use it. I keep it up there because I have a decently large screen and for
curiosity value, but that's all.
Until you start to understand the information contained in it, it is a
waste of time. Once you start remembering and recognising the "shape" of
threads, it does make it easy to find the particular article you're
looking for, and if you want to track back and see how a particular
thread developed, it's also very useful.

What would improve it for me is when you point at a node on the thread
tree and the poster's name is displayed, if all the other articles by
that person in the thread were highlighted in some way.
Pd
zoara
2004-06-11 18:59:14 UTC
Post by PeterD
What would improve it for me is when you point at a node on the thread
tree and the poster's name is displayed, if all the other articles by
that person in the thread were highlighted in some way.
Oooh, nice idea. Have you told Stefan? (maybe he's lurking?)

-z-
--
"Analogies are like Vegemite sandwiches in a paper bag."
-- PeterD, uk.comp.sys.mac
Peter Hayes
2004-06-11 09:09:16 UTC
Post by unknown
[what's odd about MacSOUP?]
Post by Peter Hayes
The next thing is that if I tag a thread (by hitting <enter> on the
first article) further articles in that thread downloaded later aren't
highlighted so I can't <space> through the thread.
Return tags the whole thread. The highlight then moves to the next
thread, but Space still opens the first tagged article up.
If there are tagged articles further down the list, Space opens the
first unread one in that thread, not the thread you've just tagged.
Post by unknown
The oddest thing, to me, is that closing a compose-article window queues
that article for sending. I would really like a Send button.
That is **so** unintuitive.

Even worse is if I re-open an article from the "Outgoing Mail and News"
list, modify it, then decide the original was fine, Apple-D deletes both
the original, and your re-edited version. Caught me out the first couple
of times, till I got used to it.
Peter
Carol Hague
2004-06-11 06:22:54 UTC
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Carol Hague
Post by Peter Hayes
I'm on dialup so an offline newsreader is essential. Of all those I
tried MacSOUP seemed the best. The interface is odd, but you get used to
it and the threading display is superb.
I've noticed several people now saying that the MacSoup interface is
odd. I've used nothing else for about eight years now, so it seems
perfectly normal to me - what are the odd things about it? (I'm not
being sarky here- I'm genuinely interested)
The "oddest" thing is the inability to collapse the article list, as in
any other newsreader I've ever used. This gives me a massive list I have
to scroll through.
I've obviously been using Soup too long as I have no idea what you mean
by this - how would you find the articles you want other than by
scrolling through a list?
Post by Peter Hayes
The next thing is that if I tag a thread (by hitting <enter> on the
first article) further articles in that thread downloaded later aren't
highlighted so I can't <space> through the thread. Also, the highlight
moves to the first article of the next thread, so to read the thread
I've just highlighted I have to reselect the first article, which may
mean scrolling a long way up the list.
OK, I can see that.
Post by Peter Hayes
There's more, like no "threads with own articles",. etc.
? I'm feeling very clueless today :-)
Post by Peter Hayes
Of course, maybe I just don't know how to enable these features...
As with my reply to Peter C I've never noticed any of this because I
just highlight the whole of a group and spacebar through it, marking
threads as read if they're not of interest to me.

I wonder if it's that Soup is ideal for my style of ng reading, or if
that style has developed as a result of using Soup? The latter seems
quite possible, since the only other newsreader I used for any length of
time was on a 286 PC, 8 or 9 years ago (and I can't even remember what
it was called!).

It's interesting to see how other people do things differently though
(translation : I'm a nosy wossname :-))
Peter Hayes
2004-06-11 09:09:15 UTC
Post by Carol Hague
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Carol Hague
Post by Peter Hayes
I'm on dialup so an offline newsreader is essential. Of all those I
tried MacSOUP seemed the best. The interface is odd, but you get used to
it and the threading display is superb.
I've noticed several people now saying that the MacSoup interface is
odd. I've used nothing else for about eight years now, so it seems
perfectly normal to me - what are the odd things about it? (I'm not
being sarky here- I'm genuinely interested)
The "oddest" thing is the inability to collapse the article list, as in
any other newsreader I've ever used. This gives me a massive list I have
to scroll through.
I've obviously been using Soup too long as I have no idea what you mean
by this - how would you find the articles you want other than by
scrolling through a list?
Other newsreaders can give you a "compressed" listing where all you see
is the thread title, perhaps the number of articles posted to that
thread, and some other stuff. So all I'd see would be

(For Mac OS X Panther) What do you guys read for newsgroups

along with all the other thread titles, perhaps coloured red if there
are unread articles. Click on the thread title to open the article list.
Post by Peter Hayes
There's more, like no "threads with own articles",. etc.
? I'm feeling very clueless today :-)
KNode has a built-in "threads with own articles" filter which displays
just that. I found that very handy especially if I was in a hurry. Maybe
MacSOUP has something similar, but I haven't found it.
Post by Carol Hague
Post by Peter Hayes
Of course, maybe I just don't know how to enable these features...
As with my reply to Peter C I've never noticed any of this because I
just highlight the whole of a group and spacebar through it, marking
threads as read if they're not of interest to me.
There's 2162 articles here in ucsm, so I just scroll down the list
looking for interesting topics. I guess if I had the display set to
"New" that'd cut down the clutter, but I worry that I'm missing
something of interest...
Post by Carol Hague
I wonder if it's that Soup is ideal for my style of ng reading, or if
that style has developed as a result of using Soup? The latter seems
quite possible, since the only other newsreader I used for any length of
time was on a 286 PC, 8 or 9 years ago (and I can't even remember what
it was called!).
It's interesting to see how other people do things differently though
(translation : I'm a nosy wossname :-))
Yes, good way of picking up tips...
Peter
Carol Hague
2004-06-11 09:32:34 UTC
Peter Hayes <***@seahaze.demon.co.uk> wrote:

<compressed article lists>
Post by Peter Hayes
Other newsreaders can give you a "compressed" listing where all you see
is the thread title, perhaps the number of articles posted to that
thread, and some other stuff. So all I'd see would be
(For Mac OS X Panther) What do you guys read for newsgroups
Ah, I see now. Thank you for explaining.
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Carol Hague
Post by Peter Hayes
There's more, like no "threads with own articles",. etc.
? I'm feeling very clueless today :-)
KNode has a built-in "threads with own articles" filter which displays
just that. I found that very handy especially if I was in a hurry. Maybe
MacSOUP has something similar, but I haven't found it.
I must be extra thick today because I still don't get it.

Do you mean it displays all the messages in one thread together?
MacSoup does that with the "Group Threads" tickbox at the top of the
group window.
Peter Hayes
2004-06-11 09:53:36 UTC
Post by Carol Hague
<compressed article lists>
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Carol Hague
Post by Peter Hayes
There's more, like no "threads with own articles",. etc.
? I'm feeling very clueless today :-)
KNode has a built-in "threads with own articles" filter which displays
just that. I found that very handy especially if I was in a hurry. Maybe
MacSOUP has something similar, but I haven't found it.
I must be extra thick today because I still don't get it.
Do you mean it displays all the messages in one thread together?
MacSoup does that with the "Group Threads" tickbox at the top of the
group window.
It displays only threads to which I have posted articles. I found it
handy because I can see at a quick glance whether there's any followups.

I guess selecting "New" in MacSOUP does something similar, but if I am
in another group and go online, perhaps to post something, doesn't it
also update the "newness" here, so when I return to this group there's
no indication that someone's followed up.

Sorry, I haven't explained that very well.

I must re-read Stefan's excellent documentation.
Peter
Carol Hague
2004-06-11 15:29:17 UTC
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Carol Hague
I must be extra thick today because I still don't get it.
Do you mean it displays all the messages in one thread together?
MacSoup does that with the "Group Threads" tickbox at the top of the
group window.
It displays only threads to which I have posted articles. I found it
handy because I can see at a quick glance whether there's any followups.
In MacSoup, if people have followed up to you, those articles are
auto-tagged. You just open the group (you can tell which ones have
followups because there's a blob beside them in the main window) and
press the spacebar and it takes you to the first tagged article.

That way you not only get just the relevant threads, you only get the
relevant *bits* of those threads.

If I haven't finished reading a group before I download more articles, I
always untag everything, so I can tell if there are more followups.
Post by Peter Hayes
I guess selecting "New" in MacSOUP does something similar, but if I am
in another group and go online, perhaps to post something, doesn't it
also update the "newness" here, so when I return to this group there's
no indication that someone's followed up.
True. Also "New" gives you *all* the new articles in a group, not just
the followups to your own articles.

Although if you just want to post, you can untick "Fetch News" on the
Connect to Server box and that should solve that problem.
Post by Peter Hayes
Sorry, I haven't explained that very well.
I think I understood it this time, so you've explained it Ok from where
I am. :-)
Bella Jones
2004-06-11 11:43:36 UTC
Post by Carol Hague
I wonder if it's that Soup is ideal for my style of ng reading, or if
that style has developed as a result of using Soup? The latter seems
quite possible, since the only other newsreader I used for any length of
time was on a 286 PC, 8 or 9 years ago (and I can't even remember what
it was called!).
It's interesting to see how other people do things differently though
(translation : I'm a nosy wossname :-))
I used Entourage for a while, which wasn't bad at all. Colour coding was
good too (!). Then I used Netscape/Mozilla, which was fine too (ditto),
but it was dead buggy back in OS9. So I joined the SOUP crowd.

As for how I use it, there's still a bit of muddling around and
swearing. I tend to read things in the order they come in, and most of
them as well, unless I'm really pushed for time.
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
Tim Hodgson
2004-06-11 08:22:53 UTC
Post by Peter Hayes
The next thing is that if I tag a thread (by hitting <enter> on the
first article) further articles in that thread downloaded later aren't
highlighted so I can't <space> through the thread.
Doesn't 'Auto-tag thread' do that?
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email
zoara
2004-06-11 18:59:14 UTC
Post by Carol Hague
I've noticed several people now saying that the MacSoup interface is
odd. I've used nothing else for about eight years now, so it seems
perfectly normal to me - what are the odd things about it?
For me, it's got to be "close window" meaning "send this post next time
you connect".

To me, "close window" should be destructive, and I should get a warning
if I've typed anything:

Do you want to save this post?
[Don't Save] [Cancel] [Save]

Additionally, "save" should not mean "send" - I might want to write part
of a post then come back to it later, so it should save in "Drafts" or
something. It should only send when I hit a big fat SEND button, or hit
a keyboard shortcut (obviously cmd-S is out, but...)

I've lost track of the number of times I have abandoned a post and done
an ulrika-W (close window) followed by ulrika-D (don't save) which, in
every other application, destroys the document. Except MacSOUP, where it
saves and sends it. Duh. I've lost track of the number of times I've
posted half-written rubbish.

-z-
--
"Analogies are like Vegemite sandwiches in a paper bag."
-- PeterD, uk.comp.sys.mac
Carol Hague
2004-06-11 20:32:25 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Carol Hague
I've noticed several people now saying that the MacSoup interface is
odd. I've used nothing else for about eight years now, so it seems
perfectly normal to me - what are the odd things about it?
For me, it's got to be "close window" meaning "send this post next time
you connect".
To me, "close window" should be destructive, and I should get a warning
Do you want to save this post?
[Don't Save] [Cancel] [Save]
Yes, I can see how people might have trouble with that now you (and
someone else upthread) mention it. I guess I'm just used to it by now
:-)
Post by zoara
Additionally, "save" should not mean "send" - I might want to write part
of a post then come back to it later, so it should save in "Drafts" or
something. It should only send when I hit a big fat SEND button, or hit
a keyboard shortcut (obviously cmd-S is out, but...)
You know about the envelope at the top of the message window, right?
I only ask because it took me a while to notice it.

I find it useful if I find a post I want to reply to but haven't got
time to do it properly right then - I click followup, so that I haven't
got to find the original post again, and then click the envelope so it
doesn't get sent and close the window and I can come back to it when I
have more time.
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-11 20:52:36 UTC
Post by Carol Hague
Post by zoara
Additionally, "save" should not mean "send" - I might want to write part
of a post then come back to it later, so it should save in "Drafts" or
something. It should only send when I hit a big fat SEND button, or hit
a keyboard shortcut (obviously cmd-S is out, but...)
You know about the envelope at the top of the message window, right?
I only ask because it took me a while to notice it.
Yeah. I noticed it- I assumed at once that it was 'reply using mail'.

Forget Cmd-W, *that's* the real crock in MacSoup. Unbelievably
misleading.
Peter
zoara
2004-06-13 18:45:32 UTC
Post by Carol Hague
Post by zoara
Additionally, "save" should not mean "send" - I might want to write part
of a post then come back to it later, so it should save in "Drafts" or
something. It should only send when I hit a big fat SEND button, or hit
a keyboard shortcut (obviously cmd-S is out, but...)
You know about the envelope at the top of the message window, right?
I only ask because it took me a while to notice it.
Yeah, but because the logic is the wrong way around I forget to use it.
My mind goes "I'll come back to this later" and my muscle memory makes
me hit cmd-W.

It's a big flaw, but there's so much in SOUP I can't live without that
I'm willing to put up with the odd post that gets sent out before I've
--
"Analogies are like Vegemite sandwiches in a paper bag."
-- PeterD, uk.comp.sys.mac
Carol Hague
2004-06-13 19:48:23 UTC
Post by zoara
Post by Carol Hague
You know about the envelope at the top of the message window, right?
I only ask because it took me a while to notice it.
Yeah, but because the logic is the wrong way around I forget to use it.
My mind goes "I'll come back to this later" and my muscle memory makes
me hit cmd-W.
I see what you mean I think - you want something like in Eudora, where
you have the "queue" button and if you close the window instead it asks
if you want to save, discard or change your mind. I use both
applications, but don't seem to have too many problems switching between
them - I'm brainwashed I guess. :-)
Post by zoara
It's a big flaw, but there's so much in SOUP I can't live without that
I'm willing to put up with the odd post that gets sent out before I've
<giggle>
--
Carol
"Nothing is so virtuous as a bicycle."
- Dorothy L. Sayers, _Five Red Herrings_
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-11 20:44:46 UTC
Post by zoara
Duh. I've lost track of the number of times I've
posted half-written rubbish.
Yes. But we were discussing MacSoup.

Hello.
Peter
zoara
2004-06-13 18:45:33 UTC
Post by Peter Ceresole
Post by zoara
Duh. I've lost track of the number of times I've
posted half-written rubbish.
Yes. But we were discussing MacSoup.
I asked for that one, didn't I?

-z-
--
"Analogies are like Vegemite sandwiches in a paper bag."
-- PeterD, uk.comp.sys.mac
Serge Pajak
2004-06-11 21:29:42 UTC
Post by zoara
To me, "close window" should be destructive, and I should get a warning
Do you want to save this post?
[Don't Save] [Cancel] [Save]
Agreed.
Post by zoara
Additionally, "save" should not mean "send" - I might want to write part
of a post then come back to it later, so it should save in "Drafts" or
something. It should only send when I hit a big fat SEND button,
This is the behavior you would expect from an on-line newsreader:
hitting the Send buttons means "I'm online and I want this article to
leave my computer". But the basic logic of an offline user-agent is that
you can do everything (including replying to posts) without an Internet
connection... because you're supposed to be offline.

In an off-line newsreader, "saving" an article means queuting it to send
during the next time you will be online, and it assumes you'll be
connected only for a short time. MacSOUP won't try to do anything that
requires a Internet connection unless you hit Command-K. So every
article you write between two connections to the Internet is essentially
a draft. It becomes final when you want to send it the next time you'll
be connected.

So the relevant way to think of pending articles is i) the ones that
will be send during the next connection because they're completed and
ii) the ones that won't. This is what the envelope is for.
Serge Pajak
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-12 00:13:21 UTC
Post by Serge Pajak
So the relevant way to think of pending articles is i) the ones that
will be send during the next connection because they're completed
Which is fine and in all normal applications is called 'queuing', but
certainly not achieved by closing the editing window but rather by an
explicit 'queuing' command. In which respect Soup is, as we've been
saying... Odd.
Post by Serge Pajak
ii) the ones that won't. This is what the envelope is for.
Which is a *totally* counter-intuitive symbol to use.

MacSoup's interface is iconoclastic, certainly, but bearable. That
particular feature is just crass. On a par with the Windoze 'Start'
button, which you use to shut down...
Peter
Antony Lacey
2004-06-12 15:50:44 UTC
Post by Peter Ceresole
Post by Serge Pajak
ii) the ones that won't. This is what the envelope is for.
Which is a *totally* counter-intuitive symbol to use.
My view is that it's very intuitive - envelope to send, no envelope -
post it later. A different way of looking at it I guess.
Post by Peter Ceresole
MacSoup's interface is iconoclastic, certainly, but bearable. That
particular feature is just crass. On a par with the Windoze 'Start'
button, which you use to shut down...
No, that's just naff. The envelope at least relates in some way to what
you're actually going to do.
--
Antony
Pull the plug to reply.
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-12 16:10:16 UTC
Post by Antony Lacey
My view is that it's very intuitive - envelope to send, no envelope -
post it later. A different way of looking at it I guess.
Eh? The whole point is that Pretzel-W does send- as near as you can in
an offline reader. It's not clicking the envelope that sends it. What
clicking the envelope does is *not* send.

Then, the envelope symbol looks like the symbol that *everybody* in the
past has used for email follow-ups. Which is what I thought it was...

Absolutely the worst, most counter-intuitive use of a GUI object that I
have seen on the Mac. Ever.
Peter
Peter Ceresole
2004-06-12 16:16:11 UTC
Post by Peter Ceresole
Absolutely the worst, most counter-intuitive use of a GUI object that I
have seen on the Mac. Ever.
Oooops... Except of course for years of dragging drives to the
wastebasket to unmount them. But then I always used Pretzel-E to Eject
them instead, so that was all right. Still, it was worrying for the
first couple of times.

Nice to see that fixed in OS10, where the wastebasket symbol changes to
an eject symbol when you drag a volume. So MacSoup really *does* have
the most counter-intuitive etc...
Peter
Serge Pajak
2004-06-12 16:38:00 UTC
Post by Peter Ceresole
Oooops... Except of course for years of dragging drives to the
wastebasket to unmount them. But then I always used Pretzel-E to Eject
them instead, so that was all right.
Not quite: for long on MacOS pre-X, Command-E would eject the disk _but_
leave the "shadow" icon of the floppy. You would have to use Command-Y,
to "Put away" properly the disk. This was not fixed before a certain
subrelease of MacOS 8 (I can't remember which one precisely).

Once you've lived through that, I guess there's nothing that can really
shock you by its counterintuitiveness :)
Serge Pajak
Antony Lacey
2004-06-12 19:53:37 UTC
Post by Peter Ceresole
Post by Antony Lacey
My view is that it's very intuitive - envelope to send, no envelope -
post it later. A different way of looking at it I guess.
Eh? The whole point is that Pretzel-W does send- as near as you can in
an offline reader. It's not clicking the envelope that sends it. What
clicking the envelope does is *not* send.
Ah, now I see what you mean. I thought you were meaning the symbolic
representation ('scuse my big words - I've had a good day!) was not
right .....
Post by Peter Ceresole
Absolutely the worst, most counter-intuitive use of a GUI object that I
have seen on the Mac. Ever.
I still like it myself .... once I'd figured out what it meant! So your
point is valid.
--
Antony
Pull the plug to reply.
zoara
2004-06-13 18:45:33 UTC
Post by Serge Pajak
Post by zoara
Additionally, "save" should not mean "send" - I might want to write part
of a post then come back to it later, so it should save in "Drafts" or
something. It should only send when I hit a big fat SEND button,
hitting the Send buttons means "I'm online and I want this article to
leave my computer". But the basic logic of an offline user-agent is that
you can do everything (including replying to posts) without an Internet
connection... because you're supposed to be offline.
OK, a big fat "Queue" button.
Post by Serge Pajak
In an off-line newsreader, "saving" an article means queuting it to send
during the next time you will be online,
Uh? Why?

Pull yourself offline, and write an email using Mail (I suspect that
this works similarly in Eudora, and any other half-decent mailer, but
some of the terminology might be different).

Now, start three emails to yourself, with three subject lines:

1. This will be abandoned.
2. This will be saved for later.
3. This will be sent.

For the first email, close the window. You will be asked: "This mail has
not been sent. Do you want to save it as a draft and work on it later?".
Since you are abandoning the post, you respond "Don't Save". This can
also be achieved with ulrika-W, ulrika-D. The email is destroyed.

For the second email, close the window again, but this time respond with
"Save" (or, just hit the "save as draft" button). This can be done using
ulrika-W, return (or ulrika-S if you want the window to stay up). The
email will end up in your Drafts mailbox.

For the third email, hit "send" (or ulrika-shift-D). Mail will think,
then tell you that you're offline and your mail will be sent later. The
email will be in the Out mailbox.

Now go online, and Mail will notice. It delivers the email in the Out
mailbox, but *not* the one in the "Drafts" mailbox. "Save", in this
instance, has an entirely different meaining to "Queue" (or, as Mail
calls it, "Send").

This is, to my mind, exactly as it should be. Unless I specifically say
that I want to queue the email, it will **NOT** be queued. The behaviour
is simple and consistent across all applications; closing a dirty window
prompts the user with a "save changes" request. Saving the contents of a
window writes those changes to disk. Actually *doing* something with the
contents is a different thing entirely, and it's only MacSOUP (to my
knowledge) that ties in "save" with "queue".

An analogy; I'm writing an essay in Word, and when I finish I will print
it out and hand it in. So there will be several sessions of "open, edit,
save" followed by one final "print" once I've finished. Following the
logic of MacSOUP, the "save" command would put it on the print queue
(after all, when you close the window you're finished so you want to
print it once the printer is available, right?)

I completely understand that most people will *not* compose, close,
re-open and re-edit posts before sending, and that by far the most
common action is compose, queue... but that doesn't excuse breaking the
HIGs. In email, it's more likely that I'll compose, send - but that
doesn't mean that the "Close Window" semantics should be adjusted to
cater for the most common behaviour.

Close Window means just that, it does not mean "...and place into a
queue". "Save" means just that, and does not mean "...and place into a
queue". If you want to place something into a queue, you create a
specific command (keyboard, menu, button, icon or whatever) that places
it into a queue. You do **NOT** change the semantics of an
already-existing command.

Can you tell that this annoys me? It's the *principal* of the thing that
annoys me more than the practice. I got used to it, but the whole juicy
goodness of Macs is that they are easy to use and are consistent. For
example, "Cancel" always Cancels, unlike on Windows where it sometimes
Cancels, sometimes does the same as "OK", and sometimes just Stops (the
Mac uses "Stop" when it means "Stop"). An application destroying the
consistency of the "Close Window" metaphor is unforgivable in my eyes -
it's a step towards the inter-application inconsistencies of Windows.
Argh.

Rant over.
Post by Serge Pajak
So the relevant way to think of pending articles is i) the ones that
will be send during the next connection because they're completed and
ii) the ones that won't. This is what the envelope is for.
The envelope is a fugly, inelegant hack to address a problem created by
not following the HIGs. Emailers can save drafts, and they don't need no
stinkin' envelope icons to denote draft/complete status.

-zoara-
--
"Analogies are like Vegemite sandwiches in a paper bag."
-- PeterD, uk.comp.sys.mac
PeterD
2004-06-13 19:38:05 UTC
Post by zoara
It's the *principal* of the thing
Oh aye?
Pd
zoara
2004-06-14 11:25:47 UTC
Post by PeterD
Post by zoara
It's the *principal* of the thing
Oh aye?
Oh, asre.

-z-
--
"Analogies are like Vegemite sandwiches in a paper bag."
-- PeterD, uk.comp.sys.mac
Serge Pajak
2004-06-13 20:07:33 UTC
Post by zoara
This is, to my mind, exactly as it should be.
OK, I understand your point. Thanks for the detailed explaination, it is
very clear. Now you just have to forward it to Stefan. :)

[Word analogy]
Post by zoara
Following the logic of MacSOUP, the "save" command would put it on the
print queue (after all, when you close the window you're finished so you
want to print it once the printer is available, right?)
In Word, printing is an action that won't happend unless you
specifically ask for it. Sending, in MacSOUP, is to the contrary the
default action that will happend to your message the next time you
connect to the Internet, unless you specifically ask for it not to leave
your computer (the envelope thing). I guess I've been using MacSOUP for
so long that I'm used to it, but I agree it is not intuitive.
Serge Pajak
Richard P. Grant
2004-06-14 09:17:19 UTC
Post by zoara
I've lost track of the number of times I've
posted half-written rubbish.
So have we, Andy, so have we.
--
Richard P. Grant 0x5F9559B1 MRC Lab of Mol Biol
rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk http://www.rg-d.com/BioLOG/

I kinda enjoy going up to town on the bus and getting it... -- Peter Ceresole
zoara
2004-06-14 11:25:48 UTC
Post by Richard P. Grant
Post by zoara
I've lost track of the number of times I've
posted half-written rubbish.
So have we, Andy, so have we.
There are logs, though.

-z-